What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Been listening to For Badgeholders Only over the past two days, in the car while driving way too much around town.  Still think it's a highly overrated show, overall.  Just my opinion.

I agree--I think as far as L.A. '77 goes, 21 & 22 are the first tier, 23 & 26 second, 25 & 27 third.  Within the three tiers it really comes down to personal preference.

What's funny is when you mentioned live Zep it dawned on me that since the reissues came out I seldom listen to any studio stuff. I play the companion disc from the Fourth Record pretty consistently. I want to learn the nuances of the alternate mixes like I know my name.

Last night I opened my  vinyl Houses Of the Holy reissue and was thinking how much NQ had evolved. The irony is that by 77 some of the songs in their canon had peaked already or in the case of SIBLY should have been retired. But with NQ I think 77 is where it's at . From 77, my favorites are 4/28, 6/11, 6/23 but for the most part a bad version doesn't jump out. Unlike so many Dazed and Confused live versions through the years NQ never seems to drag or build up only to fall flat.

For most tours there is a few favorite songs for me and for 77 No Quarter is the highlight of more shows than not. By 77 Jimmy was prone to having an off night than ever before but when he is on , No Quarter circa. 1977 is some of the best live Zep ever.

No drinking for a week , had surgery this AM (some hardware removed from my leg). I was in a lot of pain until my prescription was ready. Not so much now. At all. I may put up those sound baffles after all.

This evenings menu. Just playing side three from TSRTS. 

Nnimage1.jpeg

"That was somethin' off the third album which we will play, as long as we're in existence....."

Unsurprising Plantation after one of the best SIBLY of the tour (at least that I have heard).

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - 1975-05-13

Ridiculously good quality too. :D

Edited by rm2551
close the quote

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - 1975-05-13

:blink: Say what? You mean 1973?

Listening to the show that should have been May 30, 1973 but turned into June 3, 1973. Maybe for the best, too. Because it turned out to be the last show of the first leg we got a more special setlist than normal.

One thing though...I sure would like to talk to the guys who taped this show and ask 'what the hell happened?'

I have taped over 300 shows and I never had a tape turn out with the problems this June 3, '73 tape has.

Its a shame they were very hot. 6/2/73 is perhaps my favorite non -Millard AUD tape. Godfather used the entire AUD source for 'A Celebration Of Being...". Despite an excellent SBD fragment. I don't even listen to the SBD fragment.

But the 6/3 tape may well have been better . As I understand it the tape was damaged causing it to "wobble" and some other issues. Apparently there isn't a way to fix the tape to match the quality of the encores. The tapers seem to have done fine. I tried cobble this show using Winston , Three Days After and some Net Sourced material. But in the end I just end up listening to Wipe side 3. Shame.

If I'm not mistaking the Tapers did 6/2 as well as bunch of Grateful Dead shows and Bill Graham knew them and knew they were taping.

I may have that part mixed up but the tape was definitely damaged. Just did a double check on CMS before sending this post 

Stumbled across this. It's from 94 but it is just beautiful.  Jimmy playing acoustic throughout and being backed by the orchestra for the transition doesn't take away from the songs power. What a beautiful piece. I don't know it's origin but I listened to Thank You from the same but Jim DOES NOT have his chops back , circa 98.

Edited by Jimmywalnutz
missing letter

1 hour ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Stumbled across this. It's from 94 but it is just beautiful.  Jimmy playing acoustic throughout and being backed by the orchestra for the transition doesn't take away from the songs power. What a beautiful piece. I don't know it's origin but I listened to Thank You from the same but Jim DOES NOT have his chops back , circa 98.

Seriously dude? This is the MTV "Un-Ledded" special from 1994!!! If you don't have this DVD/CD in your collection, what are you waiting for?