Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Misfit

What show or live song are you listening to now?

Recommended Posts

 

Is this show regarded as a great show?? I've never listened to it, just a few minutes of the Stairway solo and I think it sounds great. What do the experts say, is it a good performance? Sound quality is nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

 

Is this show regarded as a great show?? I've never listened to it, just a few minutes of the Stairway solo and I think it sounds great. What do the experts say, is it a good performance? Sound quality is nice.

I've only listened to it once (last March), but from what I can recall, along with reading TYOLZ's review just now, the first five songs have a few sloppy moments, but "In My Time Of Dying" is great, and then from "The Rain Song" to the end, it's pretty great (at least by '75 standards).  Bonham is particularly enthusiastic--yelling into one of his drum mics at the end of "Moby Dick," shaking it up a bit coming out of the jam in "Dazed And Confused".  I love the whole second leg of the '75 tour though, so I may be the wrong guy to ask lol...

Edited by Bonzo_fan
spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page/Plant LakeShore Arena New Orleans Oct.1st 1998.

"Celebration" Lost Horizons

Ordered upon our flight back from the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nassau, 2-13-75

What a freaking phenomenal show. A great slide solo in IMTOD. Great Kashmir even with Plant's voice seemingly shot. Could be the best NQ of them all (or at least, listening to it it feels like it could be), I lose track of all the timing changes in the main jam, and I just love it when Jonesy stays on the Rhodes the whole time. Dogs of Doom are nasty!! Jimmy's TUF solo is INSANE, not a wasted note, just punishing precision, and Bonzo throws in fills like it's Europe '73 again. Is this the best TUF of them all? I replayed it 3 times driving home today, and rewound to the beginning of Jimmy's solo twice. Then, a 40-minute version of D&C that feels sharper than most, with Page always pushing. And, of course, the encore shootout with Ronnie in CB.

Was the band on fire because Mick and Ronnie were in attendance? Was Jimmy showing off to Ronnie? I mean, the Stones were the main competition (friendly of course) to our boys. Whatever the reason, this show feels special.

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Nassau, 2-13-75

What a freaking phenomenal show. A great slide solo in IMTOD. Great Kashmir even with Plant's voice seemingly shot. Could be the best NQ of them all (or at least, listening to it it feels like it could be), I lose track of all the timing changes in the main jam, and I just love it when Jonesy stays on the Rhodes the whole time. Dogs of Doom are nasty!! Jimmy's TUF solo is INSANE, not a wasted note, just punishing precision, and Bonzo throws in fills like it's Europe '73 again. Is this the best TUF of them all? I replayed it 3 times driving home today, and rewound to the beginning of Jimmy's solo twice. Then, a 40-minute version of D&C that feels sharper than most, with Page always pushing. And, of course, the encore shootout with Ronnie in CB.

Was the band on fire because Mick and Ronnie were in attendance? Was Jimmy showing off to Ronnie? I mean, the Stones were the main competition (friendly of course) to our boys. Whatever the reason, this show feels special.

I love this show too.  I never knew Mick was also in attendance...cool!  Could definitely be a case of showing off for the distinguished guests, although a performance like that had been building over at least the two shows preceding it (I've never listened to a full show between 1/22/75 & 2/10/75).  They always seemed to hit a mid-tour peak at the end of the first leg or those larger North American tours -- LA-SF-LA in '73, NY-NY-NY in '75, Cleveland #2 & Pontiac in '77. 

A more interesting pattern from the three 'mega-tours' (by 1970s standards) is that the second legs peaked a few shows before the end -- Seattle, Boston (despite crowd issues), Providence & Baltimore in '73; Long Beach #2, Seattle-Vancouver-Vancouver-Seattle in '75; NY #3, 4, 5 & LA #1, 2, 3, 5 in '77.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I love this show too.  I never knew Mick was also in attendance...cool!  Could definitely be a case of showing off for the distinguished guests, although a performance like that had been building over at least the two shows preceding it (I've never listened to a full show between 1/22/75 & 2/10/75).  They always seemed to hit a mid-tour peak at the end of the first leg or those larger North American tours -- LA-SF-LA in '73, NY-NY-NY in '75, Cleveland #2 & Pontiac in '77. 

A more interesting pattern from the three 'mega-tours' (by 1970s standards) is that the second legs peaked a few shows before the end -- Seattle, Boston (despite crowd issues), Providence & Baltimore in '73; Long Beach #2, Seattle-Vancouver-Vancouver-Seattle in '75; NY #3, 4, 5 & LA #1, 2, 3, 5 in '77.

My mistake, it was Ronnie and Rod Stewart at Nassau, while Mick and Bowie made an appearance at one of the Garden shows. Source: Led Zeppelin visual documentary by Paul Kendall (Omnibus Press, 1982)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have a space to listen to a boot tonight. I listened to Bonzo Bangs His Balls Out last night and it really blew me away. It was like I was there somewhere too far back from the stage to be really ecstatic, but happy I was there non the less. I had my buzz on and I really was transported. The show was great. The experience was incredible.

Any suggestions for tonight? I'm thinking something with a really good quality SB - maybe from '75 so I have Kashmir and PG stuff in the mix. Maybe LA '77, but I have been running Kashmir from a few of those shows a LOT lately, so maybe something different...

Something that is suited to being really in the zone as it were (and the perfect state of mind for music).

Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I may have a space to listen to a boot tonight. I listened to Bonzo Bangs His Balls Out last night and it really blew me away. It was like I was there somewhere too far back from the stage to be really ecstatic, but happy I was there non the less. I had my buzz on and I really was transported. The show was great. The experience was incredible.

Any suggestions for tonight? I'm thinking something with a really good quality SB - maybe from '75 so I have Kashmir and PG stuff in the mix. Maybe LA '77, but I have been running Kashmir from a few of those shows a LOT lately, so maybe something different...

Something that is suited to being really in the zone as it were (and the perfect state of mind for music).

Any suggestions?

Ever listened to 4/28/77 Cleveland, aka "The Destroyer"? Damn good show, I'd go so far as to say the best of the first leg of the tour. And I LOVE the sound of the recording. It's boomy, but it really makes the band sound absolutely MASSIVE with a great atmosphere. And it's so much better than the more well-known "Destroyer" gig. Killer NFBM, SIBLY, and, yes, a great Kashmir. One of my personal favorites:

 

Edited by ZepHead315

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rm2551 said:

I may have a space to listen to a boot tonight. I listened to Bonzo Bangs His Balls Out last night and it really blew me away. It was like I was there somewhere too far back from the stage to be really ecstatic, but happy I was there non the less. I had my buzz on and I really was transported. The show was great. The experience was incredible.

Any suggestions for tonight? I'm thinking something with a really good quality SB - maybe from '75 so I have Kashmir and PG stuff in the mix. Maybe LA '77, but I have been running Kashmir from a few of those shows a LOT lately, so maybe something different...

Something that is suited to being really in the zone as it were (and the perfect state of mind for music).

Any suggestions?

That's a good one, for sure.

Hmm...you could certainly go with the 2/13/75 show Boogie Chillen 82 & I have just been discussing, although my go-to '75 SBD is 3/21/75 Seattle, which has a great "Kashmir," followed by the Vancouver shows the two nights prior.  3/3/75 Ft. Worth is also a good '75 SBD that seems to have slipped under the radar a bit since its release two years ago.  It also has a great "Kashmir," and is an especially good night for Bonzo.  It's also a bit shorter than the shows later in March--not sure what time zone you're on, but it's 12:26 am here in Toronto lol.

If you're willing to go with a high-quality AUD, 3/27/75 LA is always a great choice, and could be well suited to your herbal(?) listening state ;)  Great versions of all of the PG stuff, my all-time favourite NQ, longest-ever versions of OTHAFA, IMTOD, Dazed & Black Dog, 2nd-longest TUF.  Better have a lot of time for that one though--it's about 3h 40m with the cuts in the tape!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

My mistake, it was Ronnie and Rod Stewart at Nassau, while Mick and Bowie made an appearance at one of the Garden shows. Source: Led Zeppelin visual documentary by Paul Kendall (Omnibus Press, 1982)

Ah, ok, thanks for checking!  Do we know which Garden show?  Did they go to the same one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Ah, ok, thanks for checking!  Do we know which Garden show?  Did they go to the same one?

Sadly, this source is not very specific. It just says:

"Feb 13, 14

Nassau Colosseum. Originally, only two nights at the Colosseum were planned, but a third night was arranged to accommodate Zeppelin fans who had been disappointed by the Boston cancellation.

As always, the New York stay was one of the tour's social, as well as musical highpoints. Mick Jagger and David Bowie were at the Garden, Ron Wood and Rod Stewart at Nassau, and a string of parties kept the band occupied during off-stage hours."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ZepHead315 and Bonzo_fan. I'll tackle one of them suggestions. :)

27/3/75 sounds the go. OTHAFA is my current favourite live track (changes almost weekly though) and IMTOD and Kashmir are right up there.

28/4 might get a run, Boomy and massive sounds brilliant. I'll decide later tonight once I'm flying...

Timezone here puts it at 4:20pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Thanks ZepHead315 and Bonzo_fan. I'll tackle one of them suggestions. :)

27/3/75 sounds the go. OTHAFA is my current favourite live track (changes almost weekly though) and IMTOD and Kashmir are right up there.

28/4 might get a run, Boomy and massive sounds brilliant. I'll decide later tonight once I'm flying...

Timezone here puts it at 4:20pm.

Oh, you're golden then time-wise!  3/27/75 OTHAFA is not only the longest, but also one of the better ones.  Jimmy & JPJ do a cool call and response coming out of the solo.

4/28/77 is indeed a good choice as well...I was just listening to Achilles from that show earlier tonight, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Oh, you're golden then time-wise!  3/27/75 OTHAFA is not only the longest, but also one of the better ones.  Jimmy & JPJ do a cool call and response coming out of the solo.

4/28/77 is indeed a good choice as well...I was just listening to Achilles from that show earlier tonight, actually.

Awesomesauce. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now playing 2-14-75... another fantastic one. I think the two Nassau gigs were better than 2-12, which is incredible since 2-12 itself is pretty good. In 1975 terms I guess it's sort of like 3-19 and 3-21 to 3-17. I had not played the 2-14 NQ in a while, and now I think it's even better than 2-13. Same crazy timing changes but everything is even more epic. Going to listen to the rest of it later. Oh, and 2-14 SIBLY is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

IMTOD from May 30, 1977. Based on a suggestion from The Rover, I tried to bring out Jimmy's guitar a little more.

Fantastic !!   Thank you.  Yes, I think I can hear Jimmy :hurrah:

Sue - I really am enjoying the 5/28/77 remasters you posted above too.  Thanks so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On to 2-28-75 (Baton Rouge, LA)

The first thing that jumps out after not playing this one for a while is how pleasant the sbd mix is. It's just a great sounding board! Especially after the brickwalled experience that was 2-14-75. (I don't have St Louis 2-16-75 and Houston isn't out yet, is it?)

The show finds the boys in good form and Robert's vocals are okay. Question: what is Jonesy playing during the piano solo and the guitar jam? It no longer sounds like the Fender Rhodes but it isn't the grand either because he doesn't change seats. He just segues directly from the Rhodes to this thing and then back again after the guitar jam's conclusion, no pause either time. It sounds very different from the Rhodes during the piano solo and the guitar jam, and for that reason is the first really different sounding NQ since the song's live debut back in '73 (again, I haven't heard St Louis or Houston, so I can't comment on what he used in those). Does anyone know?

It's another excellent NQ, btw. That song just continues to flourish in '75 as the year progresses and they don't seem to run out of new ideas for it.

 

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

On to 2-28-75 (Baton Rouge, LA)

The first thing that jumps out after not playing this one for a while is how pleasant the sbd mix is. It's just a great sounding board! Especially after the brickwalled experience that was 2-14-75. (I don't have St Louis 2-16-75 and Houston isn't out yet, is it?)

The show finds the boys in good form and Robert's vocals are okay. Question: what is Jonesy playing during the piano solo and the guitar jam? It no longer sounds like the Fender Rhodes but it isn't the grand either because he doesn't change seats. He just segues directly from the Rhodes to this thing and then back again after the guitar jam's conclusion, no pause either time. It sounds very different from the Rhodes during the piano solo and the guitar jam, and for that reason is the first really different sounding NQ since the song's live debut back in '73 (again, I haven't heard St Louis or Houston, so I can't comment on what he used in those). Does anyone know?

It's another excellent NQ, btw. That song just continues to flourish in '75 as the year progresses and they don't seem to run out of new ideas for it.

 

Kashmir is great in this show as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

On to 2-28-75 (Baton Rouge, LA)

The first thing that jumps out after not playing this one for a while is how pleasant the sbd mix is. It's just a great sounding board! Especially after the brickwalled experience that was 2-14-75. (I don't have St Louis 2-16-75 and Houston isn't out yet, is it?)

The show finds the boys in good form and Robert's vocals are okay. Question: what is Jonesy playing during the piano solo and the guitar jam? It no longer sounds like the Fender Rhodes but it isn't the grand either because he doesn't change seats. He just segues directly from the Rhodes to this thing and then back again after the guitar jam's conclusion, no pause either time. It sounds very different from the Rhodes during the piano solo and the guitar jam, and for that reason is the first really different sounding NQ since the song's live debut back in '73 (again, I haven't heard St Louis or Houston, so I can't comment on what he used in those). Does anyone know?

It's another excellent NQ, btw. That song just continues to flourish in '75 as the year progresses and they don't seem to run out of new ideas for it.

 

I've been listening to this today as well.  It is indeed a very pleasant mix.  I also noticed the quick transition back to the Rhodes after the jam in NQ, but I'm pretty sure he's playing the grand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I've been listening to this today as well.  It is indeed a very pleasant mix.  I also noticed the quick transition back to the Rhodes after the jam in NQ, but I'm pretty sure he's playing the grand...

It sounds like the grand doesn't it? I'm wondering because usually (in later shows) there is a quick pause both before and after the grand, and Jimmy plays theremin as JPJ switches to the grand. Here, he hits the last "piano" note and immediately plays the opening notes of the NQ main theme...

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...