What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

March 3, 1975 - Fort Worth -- I feel like the release of this a few years ago sort of slid under the radar because of '75 SBD fatigue/apathy, but it's a pretty good show -- energetic and fun, with Bonham in particular lighting it up.  I'd say it's definitely the best of the three Dallas/Fort Worth shows, with 3/5 coming second.  Just before the 9-minute mark in "Moby Dick," Bonham unleashes some 1970-esque bass drum fury!  Unique playing in the return to the main riff in "Dazed And Confused" from him as well.  I also love what he does around the 4-minute mark in "The Song Remains The Same," just after the big stop-start part...sort of akin to his '77 style.  You can almost hear their exuberance at knowing that the second leg is comprised entirely of places they loved to play...

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

March 3, 1975 - Fort Worth -- I feel like the release of this a few years ago sort of slid under the radar because of '75 SBD fatigue/apathy, but it's a pretty good show -- energetic and fun, with Bonham in particular lighting it up.  I'd say it's definitely the best of the three Dallas/Fort Worth shows, with 3/5 coming second.  Just before the 9-minute mark in "Moby Dick," Bonham unleashes some 1970-esque bass drum fury!  Unique playing in the return to the main riff in "Dazed And Confused" from him as well.  I also love what he does around the 4-minute mark in "The Song Remains The Same," just after the big stop-start part...sort of akin to his '77 style.  You can almost hear their exuberance at knowing that the second leg is comprised entirely of places they loved to play...

I listened to this at work today in honour of its 45th anniversary. My favourite of what's available of the 1975 Texas swing as well. Wish Houston and Austin would get pried from the hoarders.

As you note, Bonham is exuberant on this night...none of the sluggishness of the next night. As with most great nights on the 1975 tour, after warming up with "Rock and Roll"/"Sick Again" it is the stretch from "Over the Hills" through "Trampled" that really kills. I also love what Bonham does during the end of Jimmy's "Stairway" solo...he really gooses the beat and kicks Jimmy in the pants, hehe.

As I have often said before, the musical highlights for me at the 1975 shows were the aforementioned stretch from "Over the Hills" to "Trampled", the "Woodstock/bowing interlude" and the final "spiral wahwah jam" in "Dazed and Confused",  the "Stairway solo", and the "Crunge"/theramin jam in between "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog".

Ft. Worth has a theramin jam that is in the Top 5 for 1975...Bonham and Jones are absolutely killing it. Similar to how they are on March 21 in Seattle. So damn fresh 'n' funky.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

I listened to this at work today in honour of its 45th anniversary. My favourite of what's available of the 1975 Texas swing as well. Wish Houston and Austin would get pried from the hoarders.

As you note, Bonham is exuberant on this night...none of the sluggishness of the next night. As with most great nights on the 1975 tour, after warming up with "Rock and Roll"/"Sick Again" it is the stretch from "Over the Hills" through "Trampled" that really kills. I also love what Bonham does during the end of Jimmy's "Stairway" solo...he really gooses the beat and kicks Jimmy in the pants, hehe.

As I have often said before, the musical highlights for me at the 1975 shows were the aforementioned stretch from "Over the Hills" to "Trampled", the "Woodstock/bowing interlude" and the final "spiral wahwah jam" in "Dazed and Confused",  the "Stairway solo", and the "Crunge"/theramin jam in between "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog".

Ft. Worth has a theramin jam that is in the Top 5 for 1975...Bonham and Jones are absolutely killing it. Similar to how they are on March 21 in Seattle. So damn fresh 'n' funky.

I noticed that in Stairway this time as well!  You're right, it is a killer theremin section 🔥

And it's on to Dallas. March 4, 1975. Not only the first 1975 tour soundboard I heard but the first Zeppelin soundboard I heard period. Remember...Vancouver '70 and Paris Theatre '71 and all BBC recordings were radio broadcasts and not soundboards. I bought my Dallas '75 vinyl in the 1980s at a record shop in Austin, TX.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

And it's on to Dallas. March 4, 1975. Not only the first 1975 tour soundboard I heard but the first Zeppelin soundboard I heard period. Remember...Vancouver '70 and Paris Theatre '71 and all BBC recordings were radio broadcasts and not soundboards. I bought my Dallas '75 vinyl in the 1980s at a record shop in Austin, TX.

About this time, on March 4th, 1975, I was sitting 3 rows back stage left, waiting for Led Zeppelin to take the stage at the Dallas Convention Center Arena.

This boot was also the very first Zeppelin soundboard that I ever heard. My experience with it was on it's CD release. What thrill it was to be taken back in time to that glorious concert. No matter what the soundboard does or does not reveal, it was a magical evening to experience in person, in the flesh, that visual and auditory delight.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

14 minutes ago, The Rover said:

About this time, on March 4th, 1975, I was sitting 3 rows back stage left, waiting for Led Zeppelin to take the stage at the Dallas Convention Center Arena.

This boot was also the very first Zeppelin soundboard that I ever heard. My experience with it was on it's CD release. What thrill it was to be taken back in time to that glorious concert. No matter what the soundboard does or does not reveal, it was a magical evening to experience in person, in the flesh, that visual and auditory delight.

I listened today as well.  One of the all-time great versions of "Over The Hills And Far Away"!  Jones also plays some really neat stuff at the end of the instrumental section in "No Quarter" -- too bad so much of the song is cut.  Kind of strange how this tape and the Destroyer tape both have massive cuts in NQ that other SBDs from their respective years do not.  Both were on the market long before other SBDs from those years.

March 5, 1975 - Dallas -- I've always liked this show, but listening closer today I realized it's even better than I remembered.  It's certainly underrated.  Ft. Worth is still my favourite Texas '75 show, but this one is definitely closer to 3/3 than 3/4 in terms of quality.  I'd say it's a Top 15 '75 show -- I have a ranking going, excluding the January ones I've never listened to 😂, but I'm not going to post it until the end of the month when I can make sure my opinions of the rest of them don't change as drastically as this one did (my Earls Court hierarchy is pretty set in stone).

Anyway, back to this show...

-  Bonham continues his hot streak to start the second leg, including an epic, all-time great "Moby Dick" -- certainly in the Top 3-5 of '75

-  Jones has one of his best nights of the tour IMO (3/21 is #1 for him I think).  He's always so solid that sometimes you don't even notice/take him for granted, but he jumps out of the speakers at you on this one -- listen to his bass at the end of the guitar solo in "Over The Hills And Far Away"!!

-  Page is pretty solid overall, I think -- I never cringed at anything he did, and with my "'75 ears" on, he sounded pretty good!  Also, is this the only time Page ever wore that orange shirt?  I like it -- looks like he went for Texas Longhorns colours!

-  Plant is in good spirits with lots of good Plantations, mimicking a Texas accent at times, and his voice sounds as good as it has so far in '75.

16 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

March 5, 1975 - Dallas -- I've always liked this show, but listening closer today I realized it's even better than I remembered.  It's certainly underrated.  Ft. Worth is still my favourite Texas '75 show, but this one is definitely closer to 3/3 than 3/4 in terms of quality.  I'd say it's a Top 15 '75 show -- I have a ranking going, excluding the January ones I've never listened to 😂, but I'm not going to post it until the end of the month when I can make sure my opinions of the rest of them don't change as drastically as this one did (my Earls Court hierarchy is pretty set in stone).

Anyway, back to this show...

-  Bonham continues his hot streak to start the second leg, including an epic, all-time great "Moby Dick" -- certainly in the Top 3-5 of '75

-  Jones has one of his best nights of the tour IMO (3/21 is #1 for him I think).  He's always so solid that sometimes you don't even notice/take him for granted, but he jumps out of the speakers at you on this one -- listen to his bass at the end of the guitar solo in "Over The Hills And Far Away"!!

-  Page is pretty solid overall, I think -- I never cringed at anything he did, and with my "'75 ears" on, he sounded pretty good!  Also, is this the only time Page ever wore that orange shirt?  I like it -- looks like he went for Texas Longhorns colours!

-  Plant is in good spirits with lots of good Plantations, mimicking a Texas accent at times, and his voice sounds as good as it has so far in '75.

I had a crazy day and night yesterday so I didn't get to listen to this show until very late and I didn't feel like signing on to the computer.

I concur with your thoughts. I have always thought this show was better than March 4. As good as March 4 is in spots, it sags in the second half, whereas the band keeps firing throughout the show on March 5. 

Listen to "Rock and Roll". Jimmy makes a hash out of the solo on March 4 while he pretty much nails it on March 5. Robert's voice is also noticeably rougher on the 4th than on the 5th.

March 4 features an excellent "Over the Hills" but the March 5 one is out of this world. The Jimmy-Jones-Bonzo interplay during the solo puts this in the rarefied world of June 21-22-23 1977 "Over the Hills".

I don't know who Grame is but his remaster makes the soundboard sound even better than my EVSD "Days Confused" silvers.

Led Zeppelin entered March 1975 like a lion.

59 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Can someone please tell me dates these songs are from? I think D&c is Milan Italy '71? What is No Quarter & Thank you from? Sounds for sure like '73 but from what show? Shit sounds real good man. Let me know guys...thx

Dazed is Toronto 71. No Quarter sounds like it's from 75. Thank You is Southampton 73.

audio from the Knebworth set on the DVD.  I know it is only about 45 minutes and the songs are out of order, but the sound is magnificent and the performances are superb.  The set list is just over the top with Nobody's Fault, Kashmir, Achilles, In the Evening, the reworked Whole Lotta Love in all its glory, and then we have a version of Sick Again that is more uptempo and sharp than the 75 or 77 versions, as well as a high energy Rock and Roll. 

March 12, 1975 - Long Beach -- No need to say too much here...everyone knows how good this show is.  I would say it's my second-favourite of 1975, after 3/21 Seattle.  Too bad Millard's recording doesn't start until halfway through Stairway.  The third source that surfaced a few years ago is really nice actually -- atmospheric and punchy.  

It actually occurred to me while I was listening today...does anyone else find it strange, even unlikely that Millard only went to four of the six Forum shows in 1977?  You'd think he wouldn't make the trek down to San Diego yet skip two at the Forum... 🤔 He went to all five of the L.A./Long Beach shows in 1975...

23 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

March 12, 1975 - Long Beach -- No need to say too much here...everyone knows how good this show is.  I would say it's my second-favourite of 1975, after 3/21 Seattle.  Too bad Millard's recording doesn't start until halfway through Stairway.  The third source that surfaced a few years ago is really nice actually -- atmospheric and punchy.  

It actually occurred to me while I was listening today...does anyone else find it strange, even unlikely that Millard only went to four of the six Forum shows in 1977?  You'd think he wouldn't make the trek down to San Diego yet skip two at the Forum... 🤔 He went to all five of the L.A./Long Beach shows in 1975...

The show so good I am listening to it again for the second night in a row.

There was a lot of stress involved in going to the 1975 shows...I went to March 12, 24, 25, and 27. The Forum shows were the most stressful of the four, so in many ways the March 12 Long Beach is the one I enjoyed and remember the most.

"Physical Graffiti" had been out and lived on my turntable for two weeks by the time Led Zeppelin hit Los Angeles, so unlike the audiences on the first leg of the tour, L.A. had a pretty good idea of the "Physical Graffiti" songs. They weren't totally unknown like the "Houses of the Holy" songs on the 1972 tour.

If Plant was not on top form vocally for the 1975 tour, he at least was a long way better in March than he was in January-February. 

What was really significant about the 1975 tour was that visually the band was at its peak. Not just in the looks of the band and the stage attire (Jones really looked sharp on the U.S. tour...no stupid onion jacket like in 1973 or at the Earls Court gigs), but for the first time Led Zeppelin's stage presentation looked amazing and professional. Showco had really got their act together by now and the ramshackle look of the stage on the 1972 and 1973 tours was gone.

Finally, a proper drum riser so people in the back could see Bonham. The huge backscreen for all sorts of cool light and shadow projections. The lasers and smoke! The explosions at the beginning of "Black Dog". The lighted LED ZEPPELIN sign.

I have always considered the 1975 U.S. tour Led Zeppelin's "dark and heavy" tour. No acoustic set. Very few short and snappy tunes. A lot of songs 9-10 minutes and longer....and the songs were generally dark and foreboding.

Of course, the first hour and a half was killer..."Rock and Roll" through "Trampled Under Foot". The energy was so high in fact that I even enjoyed "Moby Dick". And in a true sign of a great 1975 show the band's energy did not flag after "Moby Dick". "Dazed and Confused" is one of the best from 1975. "Stairway" and the encores were terrific...Jimmy even pulled off a perfect "Heartbreaker".

Seeing "Kashmir" live alone made the 1975 shows memorable. One of those jaw-dropping moments that elevated this band from the rest. For me, the stretch from "Over the Hills and Far Away" through "Trampled Under Foot" was one big intense high...musically as well as the contact high from all the marijuana and hash smoke.

The high peaks especially (music and visually) were "In My Time of Dying", "Kashmir", "No Quarter", "Trampled Under Foot", Jimmy's bow solo, and the theramin jam.