What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

43 minutes ago, RainbowElf said:

This coming weekend I will go and see if my local record shop has it and buy it, I know they have the re-release with extra tracks called The Complete BBC Sessions, should I get that one instead?

Definitely.  The extra disc is great, and the original two discs are remastered and sound a lot better in that expanded version.  It does not typically cost much more than the original.

1 minute ago, John M said:

Definitely.  The extra disc is great, and the original two discs are remastered and sound a lot better in that expanded version.  It does not typically cost much more than the original.

Thank you John M, I will make that a priority this weekend, I'll check out a few record shops as I like to support businesses especially in these dire times.

August 4, 1979 Knebworth Festival & Faire.

Given the time difference between California and England, Led Zeppelin should have been on the Knebworth stage by now 41 years ago. And JTM and chillumpuffer were probably already three sheets to the wind.

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

August 4, 1979 Knebworth Festival & Faire.

Given the time difference between California and England, Led Zeppelin should have been on the Knebworth stage by now 41 years ago. And JTM and chillumpuffer were probably already three sheets to the wind.

Not until the 11th, but yeah, I was running out of skins by the time Zeppelin came on.

Seattle 1973. I'm "revisiting" this show after mostly  passing it by it for a couple decades. Fact is, when I got the "V 1/2" Dynamite Studios silvers back 25 years ago (at least), I found the soundboard to be so damn dry and dusty that  I wasn't getting any "vibes" from it, as Robert would say. And at the same time I was probably totally cranking "Three Days After" 73/06-03 L.A.from Silver Rarities which despite the significant tape damage was, and still is, one of my favorite '73 recordings. Anyway, the Winston Remaster  of Seattle '73 is my new go-to and it's great. I hear the Graf Zeppelin version is amazing too, so I hope to find it. Anyone have suggestions for other versions? Thanks.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:02 AM, High-hopes Hailla said:

Seattle 1973. I'm "revisiting" this show after mostly  passing it by it for a couple decades. Fact is, when I got the "V 1/2" Dynamite Studios silvers back 25 years ago (at least), I found the soundboard to be so damn dry and dusty that  I wasn't getting any "vibes" from it, as Robert would say. And at the same time I was probably totally cranking "Three Days After" 73/06-03 L.A.from Silver Rarities which despite the significant tape damage was, and still is, one of my favorite '73 recordings. Anyway, the Winston Remaster  of Seattle '73 is my new go-to and it's great. I hear the Graf Zeppelin version is amazing too, so I hope to find it. Anyone have suggestions for other versions? Thanks.

Seattle 73 is a fuckin awesome show. The audience recording is terrific 

On 8/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, High-hopes Hailla said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I did do a source merge of that show using the Dave Departee audience recording as the main source. My upload has some flaws (STH runs slow and had to be edited due to copyright problems) but you can check it out if you like. :) 

MSG June 11, 1977.

For some reason I have never been driven to listen to all six MSG shows in 1977, let alone collect them. I think it was the quality of the sources that put me off. Either it was an incomplete audience tape full of taper chatter or a dry soundboard fragment.

My first exposure to the 1977 MSG run of shows was the June 14 audience tape that runs out during Kashmir. That was on the "Strange Tales from the Road" box set I got in the 1980s. The sound was okay but it was no Mike Millard and it was incomplete.

The next '77 MSG show I got was Godfatherecords "Strange Tales from the Road", which was monitor mixes fragments of May 26 '77 Landover and June 11 '77 MSG. Again, only a few songs from each show. The June 11 had No Quarter, Ten Years Gone and Battle of Evermore. But a monitor mix is not an optimum way to listen to a concert...the sound is unbalanced and very dry. Again, frustration was the end result.

Finally I got a complete MSG '77 show when the soundboard for June 7 was released..."Magical Sound Boogie". It was an okay show although they butchered "Kashmir". But again I couldn't stand that horrible sound the 1977 soundboards have. So it went into the "rarely played" bin.

I probably listened to June 14 the most. But never as much as I listen to 4.28 Cleveland, 4.30 Pontiac, and all six of the L.A. Forum gigs.

Then I found June 8 MSG but the sound was so harsh I gave up on it and I gave up on 1977 MSG shows completely.  That was years ago and I've pretty much kept my blinders on regarding MSG '77 ever since then.

Until the last week or so when I had a listen to both the remastered June 7 soundboard and the June 10 audience tape.

Now I am having a listen to this June 11 audience tape. A lot less yammering than the guys on June 10, although you can still hear the taper and his date converse throughout the show...they're just quieter than your usual New Yorkers. The show sounds like a good one....maybe even better than June 10, although that may be the result of the quality of the recording being better than June 10. Ten Years Gone sounds like an all-timer with no flubs from Jimmy. No Quarter is also a monster once you get past the annoying boogie jam. But Plant fucks up the lyrics of course. In fact, Plant is the weakest link in the chain on this night. His voice on June 11 gives out in spots and he is not as strong as he was on June 10 and on most nights of the 1977 tour. Unfortunately the quality of the tape goes kerplop after Kashmir. Such a shame. Strange to hear Heartbreaker in the encore slot in 1977.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

MSG June 11, 1977.

For some reason I have never been driven to listen to all six MSG shows in 1977, let alone collect them. I think it was the quality of the sources that put me off. Either it was an incomplete audience tape full of taper chatter or a dry soundboard fragment.

My first exposure to the 1977 MSG run of shows was the June 14 audience tape that runs out during Kashmir. That was on the "Strange Tales from the Road" box set I got in the 1980s. The sound was okay but it was no Mike Millard and it was incomplete.

The next '77 MSG show I got was Godfatherecords "Strange Tales from the Road", which was monitor mixes fragments of May 26 '77 Landover and June 11 '77 MSG. Again, only a few songs from each show. The June 11 had No Quarter, Ten Years Gone and Battle of Evermore. But a monitor mix is not an optimum way to listen to a concert...the sound is unbalanced and very dry. Again, frustration was the end result.

Finally I got a complete MSG '77 show when the soundboard for June 7 was released..."Magical Sound Boogie". It was an okay show although they butchered "Kashmir". But again I couldn't stand that horrible sound the 1977 soundboards have. So it went into the "rarely played" bin.

I probably listened to June 14 the most. But never as much as I listen to 4.28 Cleveland, 4.30 Pontiac, and all six of the L.A. Forum gigs.

Then I found June 8 MSG but the sound was so harsh I gave up on it and I gave up on 1977 MSG shows completely.  That was years ago and I've pretty much kept my blinders on regarding MSG '77 ever since then.

Until the last week or so when I had a listen to both the remastered June 7 soundboard and the June 10 audience tape.

Now I am having a listen to this June 11 audience tape. A lot less yammering than the guys on June 10, although you can still hear the taper and his date converse throughout the show...they're just quieter than your usual New Yorkers. The show sounds like a good one....maybe even better than June 10, although that may be the result of the quality of the recording being better than June 10. Ten Years Gone sounds like an all-timer with no flubs from Jimmy. No Quarter is also a monster once you get past the annoying boogie jam. But Plant fucks up the lyrics of course. In fact, Plant is the weakest link in the chain on this night. His voice on June 11 gives out in spots and he is not as strong as he was on June 10 and on most nights of the 1977 tour. Unfortunately the quality of the tape goes kerplop after Kashmir. Such a shame. Strange to hear Heartbreaker in the encore slot in 1977.

Does that mean you haven't listened to June 13 yet/for a long time?  Is it in your on-deck circle?  It's always been my favourite of the MSG '77 shows.  I agree with your assessment of the 11th.

34 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Does that mean you haven't listened to June 13 yet/for a long time?  Is it in your on-deck circle?  It's always been my favourite of the MSG '77 shows.  I agree with your assessment of the 11th.

Yessir...it's on deck.

10 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I did do a source merge of that show using the Dave Departee audience recording as the main source. My upload has some flaws (STH runs slow and had to be edited due to copyright problems) but you can check it out if you like. :) 

Indeed you did and it’s my go to. If you’ve upgraded recently, could I have a link mate?

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Yessir...it's on deck.

You're in for a treat then! 🍻 Pretty flawless IMO aside from Bonham entering a verse early in Stairway.  It's the only one that I consider to be a challenger to June 21 & 22 for best show of the year.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:02 AM, High-hopes Hailla said:

The Winston Remaster & the Eat A Peach are both fine, but the Graf Zeppelin version is the one you should get. Simply the best, by a mile.

June 13, 1977 MSG.

The first thing you notice with these MSG audience tapes is that none of these tapers got good seats like Mike Millard.

Once you adjust your bootleg ears, though, these New York shows are a fun listen. For the first couple of hours, this show moves along with several peaks to recommend it and put it in the upper echelon of 1977 gigs. A rare "TSRTS" where Page doesn't sound like he's juggling cutlery during the solos. A great moody OTHAFA where Plant actually attempts to sing the original vocal melody. A third straight fantastic "Ten Years Gone". A lively acoustic set. A third straight fantastic "Kashmir" with no fuckups.

The only glitches are Plant's voice giving out in "Since I've Been Loving You" and "No Quarter". I guess singing "Over the Hills" like the studio version took so much effort that his voice needed two songs to recover.

But from "Ten Years Gone" to "Kashmir", Plant is fine and so is the band. But most 1977 shows are good for the most part for the first two hours all the way up through "Kashmir". It's that tricky third hour that often drags a show down or keeps the momentum going.

The drum solo is what it is...the tape seems cut so it is hard to determine if this was an economical 15 minute solo or one that went for 20 or more minutes.

"Heartbreaker" is a mess, though. It starts off okay but once we get to the solo, it is downhill. All you need to know about the difference between 1973 Jimmy and 1977 Jimmy is that the pull-off/hammer-on run that 1973 Jimmy could pull off one-handed, in 1977 required Jimmy to go to the picking hand. The rest of the solo is aimless as he halfheartedly throws in a few old phrases from the old days and digresses so much that he blows the fast-shredding part of the solo. The entrance is botched and the timing is all off. Fortunately, once the band reenters the rest of the solo is kept short. I was never impressed with the 1977 "Heartbreaker" and this is one of the worst ones.

Then comes Jimmy's noise solo and it goes nowhere fast. The scribble section is just that...scribbling. No "Star Spangled Banner", no "Dixie", no "America", no theme of any kind. Then the Theremin section and there is obviously something wrong with either the Theremin or his guitar as there is not the usual arsenal of whoops and shrieks during this section. Just a low sickly moan. The bow solo is just average...nothing special.

Things finally pick up with a powerful "Achilles Last Stand". 

"Stairway" starts off good but then Bonzo comes in early and Plant has to abandon the fourth stanza of verses. Jimmy's solo is good but not great. It's funny how in all the shows I saw Led Zeppelin never made a mistake in "Stairway to Heaven". So it still comes as a shock when I come across a botched "Stairway".

The best thing about the encore is a fresher than usual "Black Dog". This song sounded tired throughout most of the 1975 encores so I was glad to see it given a rest for most of 1977. It did not make a single appearance at the L.A. Forum. What is surprising is how good Plant sings it here on June 13...he really attacks the verses with gusto and tries to reach the higher registers. Page does a fair solo, too. 

So, all in all, a spotty up-and-down third hour keeps this show being as great as June 10 and June 11. It was the fifth night of the MSG run....maybe they were getting tired. But then I remembered how great Led Zeppelin was on the fifth night of the Forum run. So for comparison's sake I listened to June 26, 1977 this morning. This is one of the better 1977 shows easily. Plant is in strong voice throughout...no croaking in SIBLY or No Quarter or Ten Years Gone. Page is a beast and so is Bonham. Even Jones doesn't sound that bad singing on Battle of Evermore.

Another thing I liked about the LA Forum run...they threw in surprises during the acoustic set. Six nights at MSG and not one extra song in the acoustic set.

Edited by Strider

25 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

That's one has really shit sound quality. Here is the YT version of the evening show show I got off Dime a few days ago, much better

Edited by JTM