What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

50 Years Gone.

September 6, 1970 Honolulu, Hawaii.

Honolulu star bright...

Got to this one a day late. It's a strange bird. Coming after the marathons of Oakland and Los Angeles it seems very truncated. And what is with the weird switch of "Heartbreaker" and "Dazed and Confused" trading places in the set? 

Because of the less than stellar sound quality of the tape, Jimmy's bow segment sounds really cool...it's in your face.

As for the missing acoustic set and "Thank You" and such, we don't know if they really didn't play those songs or if the taper neglected to tape those segments because he was conserving tape.

Also, Led Zeppelin played two shows on September 6, 1970. Is this tape the afternoon show or the evening concert? Plant's greeting "Good evening" to the crowd suggests it might be the evening show. But it is not conclusive...I have not listened to the afternoon show of September 19, 1970 in a long while but doesn't Plant also say "good evening" at this concert?

Whether it was the afternoon or evening show, maybe it was a time consideration. They had to fly from Hawaii to Boston (losing several hours in the process and dealing with Labor Day holiday restrictions), and maybe they had to shorten the set in order to make their flight. Reports suggest that it was well after midnight when the second concert ended. Their gear was late getting to Boston and it turned into an ugly imbroglio. Oh well...that's a story for September 9.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Got to this one a day late. It's a strange bird. Coming after the marathons of Oakland and Los Angeles it seems very truncated. And what is with the weird switch of "Heartbreaker" and "Dazed and Confused" trading places in the set? 

As for the missing acoustic set and "Thank You" and such, we don't know if they really didn't play those songs or if the taper neglected to tape those segments because he was conserving tape.

Also, Led Zeppelin played two shows on September 6, 1970. Is this tape the afternoon show or the evening concert? Plant's greeting "Good evening" to the crowd suggests it might be the evening show. But it is not conclusive...I have not listened to the afternoon show of September 19, 1970 in a long while but doesn't Plant also say "good evening" at this concert?

If I were a betting man, I'd wager this show is the first one (at 7pm)... and probably the only song that is missing from the tape is Bring It On Home. Add that song and the length of the show comes to about 90 minutes. There is a cut between Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Loving You, and in theory the acoustic set could have been in there, but the show was probably only 90 minutes long so there was enough time to change audiences for the late show at 10:30. 

I guess Dazed and Heartbreaker were switched because they weren't sure exactly which songs they were going to do, so they just played it by ear. Maybe Heartbreaker initially didn't make the cut, but then they thought, "hey whatever, let's just do it anyway." There is no cut between Since I've Been Loving You and What Is And What Should Never Be, so Thank You was almost certainly not played on this show. 

By the way, someone at the Hotel recently pointed out that the footage from this night, when synched, reveals that Out On The Tiles made another appearance (presumably during the late show). Considering how good the first show is, the second one could be a gold mine! Similar to NYC later in the tour.

13 hours ago, William Austin said:

If I were a betting man, I'd wager this show is the first one (at 7pm)... and probably the only song that is missing from the tape is Bring It On Home. Add that song and the length of the show comes to about 90 minutes. There is a cut between Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Loving You, and in theory the acoustic set could have been in there, but the show was probably only 90 minutes long so there was enough time to change audiences for the late show at 10:30. 

I guess Dazed and Heartbreaker were switched because they weren't sure exactly which songs they were going to do, so they just played it by ear. Maybe Heartbreaker initially didn't make the cut, but then they thought, "hey whatever, let's just do it anyway." There is no cut between Since I've Been Loving You and What Is And What Should Never Be, so Thank You was almost certainly not played on this show. 

By the way, someone at the Hotel recently pointed out that the footage from this night, when synched, reveals that Out On The Tiles made another appearance (presumably during the late show). Considering how good the first show is, the second one could be a gold mine! Similar to NYC later in the tour.

That does seem to be the safe bet. At first I thought the first show was an afternoon start at 4pm (like 9.19.70 MSG) until I looked closer at the Honolulu concert ad.

I wonder if Jimmy had a guitar problem at the end of "Immigrant Song" (a broken string maybe?), necessitating a switch of guitars and he just signaled Jones to start "Dazed and Confused" while the guitar snafu was fixed. I listened to the tape closely several times yesterday trying to hear a splice or cut in the tape that would suggest the original tape was doctored and somehow "Dazed" inserted in between "Immigrant Song" and "Heartbreaker". But you can hear no cut in the tape. As "Immigrant" ends, you can hear Jimmy's guitar slowly fade in his amp and then the bass notes to "Dazed" begin. You never hear Jimmy strike that sustained note that always heralded the beginning of "Heartbreaker" after "Immigrant Song" was over.

Anyway, it has to be the only time that the "Immigrant Song"/"Heartbreaker" one-two punch was not performed during its 1970-1972 run. It kind of disrupts the pacing of the show.

Revisiting an old friend. This album is the very first bootleg I bought. Not just the first Led Zeppelin bootleg but first bootleg, period. Bought it shortly after seeing my first Led Zeppelin concert June 25, 1972 at the Raspberry Roach in Huntington Beach. About a month after buying this Rubber Dubber, I bought TMOQ's "Live on Blueberry Hill" and "Going to California" .

Because "Live on Blueberry Hill" had more songs (including the all-important opening and the rare encores) and had a better flow, I listened to the TMOQ boot far more than the Rubber Dubber. But I still like to pull out Rubber Rubber for old time's sake and for the acoustic set.

119126277_3105815486311538_4550463092850798060_o.thumb.jpg.41602a0520ed4a0833f7cdb1fb7e4490.jpg

Edited by Strider

Boston Garden, September 9, 1970.

Another powerful 1970 show. In fact, this is right up there with 1970 Oakland, Los Angeles and New York. The only thing keeping it from the legendary status accorded those other concerts is the lack of encores and rare songs in the setlist.

Some promoter flack gives a long speech about Paul McCartney wanting to play Boston before bringing JJ Jackson on to introduce the band. JJ also introduced the band in L.A. Was JJ travelling with the group?

If you want to experience cognitive dissonance listen to this Boston show while reading Timothy Crouse's review of the concert in the Boston Phoenix. Crouse clearly had an agenda and was going to take down the band for what he perceived as greed on the band's part towards Boston College and the promoters. But his take on the concert doesn't jibe with what we can hear on the tape.

Edited by Strider