What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Hey Steve, is this a project you have completed? Is it sync'd with video? I have 5 audio versions and 3 or 4 video/DVD versions, not sure any sound as good as this (I'll need to check).

I''ve been working on it for the past week. The good news is that the majority of the remaster was done years ago as part of a different project, so now the work that's left is mainly just to mix it into stereo, which is easy. I haven't even started to think about synching it, or which version of the video to use. Any suggestions? Also, was there too much bass on that sample? Currently, this remaster has the deepest, hardest hitting bass of anything I've ever done. I'm concerned that although it sounds good on my stereo, it will be too much for other people.

22 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

I''ve been working on it for the past week. The good news is that the majority of the remaster was done years ago as part of a different project, so now the work that's left is mainly just to mix it into stereo, which is easy. I haven't even started to think about synching it, or which version of the video to use. Any suggestions? Also, was there too much bass on that sample? Currently, this remaster has the deepest, hardest hitting bass of anything I've ever done. I'm concerned that although it sounds good on my stereo, it will be too much for other people.

The bass sounds great to me.  I always prefer a Zep recording with strong bass -  because Zep had only one guitar live and Jones was such an integral part of the music and the sound - his playing is such much more interesting and varied than most rock bassists, even the flashy ones.  There was a Jones interview once on YouTube where he talked about how he had to play so much more than most bassists to fill in because there was only one guitar on stage.

The drums are very strong here too, and I would say the same thing about the drums that I said about the bass.

And this is one of the great joys of listening to Zeppelin.  In the studio they can have all these guitar layers weaving in and out, while on stage it has to be much more stripped down - it is like two different bands.

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I'm sure there are more savvy members here that have access to best video. I'd be guessing - and I'd need to check what i have, but like I said, I have 3 or 4. I'll happily share what I have.

As for the bass, not too strong at all. Could possibly be a bit sharper, but mate, I am no expert! The drums seem to be a bit buried, but you are working with what you have, not a pro multi track, so given it's a soundboard I say this is outstanding. Great work sir!

That solo highlights how powerful/beautiful the OTHAFA solo could get. The fact this is Earl's Court, and Jimmy sits on the multitracks (with vision!!!) is astounding to me. There is NO WAY this could not be presented beautifully as an official boxed release and be received very well. Five Glorious Nights - the DVD. Best of each of the recorded nights with tons of DVD extras. I'll never understand how this is not a reality. it deserves it's own release Jimmy!!!!

When you are done, sign me up! This is really great work Steve and I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I'm sure there are more savvy members here that have access to best video. I'd be guessing - and I'd need to check what i have, but like I said, I have 3 or 4. I'll happily share what I have.

As for the bass, not too strong at all. Could possibly be a bit sharper, but mate, I am no expert! The drums seem to be a bit buried, but you are working with what you have, not a pro multi track, so given it's a soundboard I say this is outstanding. Great work sir!

That solo highlights how powerful/beautiful the OTHAFA solo could get. The fact this is Earl's Court, and Jimmy sits on the multitracks (with vision!!!) is astounding to me. There is NO WAY this could not be presented beautifully as an official boxed release and be received very well. Five Glorious Nights - the DVD. Best of each of the recorded nights with tons of DVD extras. I'll never understand how this is not a reality. it deserves it's own release Jimmy!!!!

When you are done, sign me up! This is really great work Steve and I appreciate it.

Agreed about an official Earls Court release. It seems obvious, even if it was just a compilation to create the illusion of a single show, ala HTWWW.

Regarding the low end and the drums, a real multi-track recording would have the kick drum recorded separately from the rest of the kit so it could be mixed in at the appropriate level. What the software I use does is put the whole kit together, so I cannot easily adjust different parts of it. What it also did on this show was put all of the low end in with the drums. I have the bass guitar on a separate track, but it's just the upper end of its sound. The low end is on the drum track. That's not a huge issue, except that it makes it harder to keep the low end impact I'm shooting for while also getting the rest of Bonzo's kit to be more prominent. I think I figured it out, but it took a little bit of experimentation to make sure I didn't mess things up. 

On 11/19/2020 at 5:22 AM, SteveZ98 said:

This version of OTHAFA has one of my favorite Zep moments ever starting around the 1:28 mark in the video below where Jimmy plays a series of descending notes and Bonzo echos him. When We Were Kings, indeed.

I listened to this through my home stereo and then through headphones on my iPad. Sounds fine and the bass is not too heavy. 

The bass and the drums, mainly the snare drum, could be a little crisper, a little sharper. But that is due to the inferiority of the Earls Court soundboards compared to the 1975 U.S. soundboards.

Impressive work all around. Imagine if we had this capability in the 1970s.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, SteveZ98 said:

This version of OTHAFA has one of my favorite Zep moments ever starting around the 1:28 mark in the video below where Jimmy plays a series of descending notes and Bonzo echos him. When We Were Kings, indeed.

Was this their best EC OTHAFA solo???? I'll have to go through them. This one is just so good.............

On 12/11/2020 at 1:23 PM, ZepHead315 said:

What an amazing remaster!  And the band is on fire - so locked in AND adventurous.  No Quarter is a revelation.  I recall when I first heard this show I dismissed it somewhat because Plant is so rough at the outset, but he gets it together and the show is fantastic.  And the sound here with Grame's remaster is really something else.