What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Happy anniversary January 15, 1973 Stoke. Just listening to Bonham's drums on this soundboard is pleasure enough. And like a rare bird sighting, Plant actually sings the right "Many times I've loved, many times been bitten" couplet for a change.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Happy anniversary January 15, 1973 Stoke. Just listening to Bonham's drums on this soundboard is pleasure enough. And like a rare bird sighting, Plant actually sings the right "Many times I've loved, many times been bitten" couplet for a change.

Thanks for the reminder, Strider!  Meant to listen to this show for the first time this year and almost forgot.  On Dazed right now and loving it!

Lately I have been re-evaluating live Battle of Evermore.  As an example, in this show the playing is great, Plant is AMAZING, and all things considered Jones makes a viable vocal effort.  Pretty brave of him to do such a spotlight with very little to provide "air cover" to his vocal.  Overall it was a noble effort for the band to try this song live in 1977.  It really was one of the great surprises in the set list, a wonderful and daring addition.  Sure they didn't want to bring another vocalist on tour, and Sandy Denny had sadly passed away.  I also like the percussion Bonham plays in the 1977 arrangement.   

I was only at one show (June 11) but I can say for sure I did not think for one second about Jones' vocal during the show.  It was just so amazing that they played this and Plant was soaring to the rafters.  To hear Plant and the acoustic instruments filling the Garden after all the heaviness that had blasted us for the first hour or so.  To hear the sections with just mandolin and voice.  To see them all sitting there up front.    The contrast with the first part of the set - this was Zeppelin in all its glory.  "To bring the balance back" as Plant sings.  And in some ways, when Page bashes the acoustic it is some of his "heaviest" playing ever. 

4 hours ago, John M said:

Lately I have been re-evaluating live Battle of Evermore.  As an example, in this show the playing is great, Plant is AMAZING, and all things considered Jones makes a viable vocal effort.  Pretty brave of him to do such a spotlight with very little to provide "air cover" to his vocal.  Overall it was a noble effort for the band to try this song live in 1977.  It really was one of the great surprises in the set list, a wonderful and daring addition.  Sure they didn't want to bring another vocalist on tour, and Sandy Denny had sadly passed away.  I also like the percussion Bonham plays in the 1977 arrangement.   

I was only at one show (June 11) but I can say for sure I did not think for one second about Jones' vocal during the show.  It was just so amazing that they played this and Plant was soaring to the rafters.  To hear Plant and the acoustic instruments filling the Garden after all the heaviness that had blasted us for the first hour or so.  To hear the sections with just mandolin and voice.  To see them all sitting there up front.    The contrast with the first part of the set - this was Zeppelin in all its glory.  "To bring the balance back" as Plant sings.  And in some ways, when Page bashes the acoustic it is some of his "heaviest" playing ever. 

Yes to all that you said except that Sandy Denny did not die until 1978. The echo and reverberations of the Forum (or whatever venue you saw them on the 1977 tour) helped mask the deficiencies John Paul Jones' vocals had in comparison to Sandy Denny's. That, added to the overwhelming power Plant had and the general bedlam going on musically and in the crowd (as I have noted before, this song always got a rapturous response from the audience) kept one from really noticing Jonesey's vocal flaws at the time.

It is only on the tapes, especially the soundboard tapes, that you can hear any cringe-worthy moments from Jones.

"Battle of Evermore" was a song never played before and never played after...which gives it rarity status and added allure to the 1977 tour.

Edited by Strider