What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

On 8/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, paul carruthers said:

This is such a nostalgic show for me. It was one of the first 5-10 bootlegs I had purchased. Having purchased Plays Pure Blues, various other 69 through 72 shows when I got to this one, it was a show that made me realize the growth of the band, as well as my own mortality as well as theirs, and the decline of their prowess. I know that sounds slightly to perhaps very overboard and maybe overblown. By the way, I personally find this show to be good. Maybe even very good.

Having listened to this show again tonight on the CD I purchased back in the early/mid 90’s it made me think of Robert in particular, and how he went from the intensity of this band and performance, to maybe a year and a half later. The change in direction and intensity from this to Robbie Blunt and co. it is a big contrast. I’m sorry to derail the thread, but I can’t help but think of the colossal change in that man’s life in and around this time. It makes me sad for him, certainly Jimmy, JPJ, and the family [ Led Zeppelin ] that was broken apart as a result of the passing of the greatest drummer ever, and a man that was so dearly beloved. Man, it genuinely makes me sad. 

Thanks for posting this. It was cool to pull out the show and give it a listen. 

^^ The '77 tour is certainly interesting when it comes to opinions on said tour, good, bad, or indifferent. I think Robert and Jimmy themselves have less than fond memories of it--the fact that it was essentially ignored on the official DVD may be testament to that.

The thing I've noticed with it, is that there seem to be more technical glitches, mistakes or downright misfires that seem more prevalent than with previous tours. I'm still wondering myself what happened with the last few minutes of IMTOD from the Ft. Worth show.

Overall though, from the SBs and audience recording I've listened to, I would say the good still outweighs the bad and there is a lot of good/great stuff to hear.

And I say all that still having never listened to the infamous Tempe show--I would owe that to what seems like a garbage recording the one time I tried to listen to it, which made it hard to sit through, whether or not the band themselves we're having a really off night...

For a long time I was not really a huge fan of the '77 US tour, now my opinion has totally changed.  It is among my favourite set lists of all the bands tours and really does show, in my opinion, the whole length and breadth of what they were capable of on stage and record, and some of the shows themselves were just terrific. San Diego and the great run of shows at HQ, I mean the Inglewood Forum, are just marvellous to be able to relive today  and I have by no means heard every concert from that tour. Time for a reappraisal of that tour more generally?

21 hours ago, Walesdad said:

'Sunset' - The Forum, Inglewood, California, June 27th '77. The bands last ever concert at the venue and an enjoyable, long show from an excellent audience recording.

Quickly followed by the show from the 23rd of June from the same venue and tour otherwise known as 'For Badgeholders Only'. Two terrific audience recordings from an outstanding series of shows. Thank you Mr. Millard.