What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Birmingham 18 May 1977. Dixie "Revisited".

Supposed to be a great performance, but it's hard to tell with the echo and distance on the tape.

Try to find the "Out Of The Way" source for Birmingham...way better than the "Dixie" recording (shit, the third source that forum member Jabe and I put out last year is better than "Dixie"!)

Birmingham is a good performance...one of the best of the '77 tour.

Try to find the "Out Of The Way" source for Birmingham...way better than the "Dixie" recording (shit, the third source that forum member Jabe and I put out last year is better than "Dixie"!)

Birmingham is a good performance...one of the best of the '77 tour.

I'll have to look for that one. I have the Jabe version and it's a substantial improvement over "Dixie". It is a good performance once you can hear it.

Atlanta 23 April 1977. Another borderline fair/poor audience recording. An excellent show in need of an upgrade.

You got that right...soundboard would be nice, but it would have been just as nice if the fucking taper had just left the goddamn rig in his lap instead of tucked under his seat (notice how the sound improves when he's checking the tape)

If only the same people who taped Pink Floyd in Atlanta three days later had taped Zeppelin...the Floyd recording has been passed off as a soundboard, that's how good it is...sigh...

It took me several days to get through Atlanta '77, so I followed it up with Montreux 07 March 1970, the Empress Valley "Intimidator" version. In a perfect world, this would have been released as a legitimate live album in the summer or fall of 1970.

You got that right...soundboard would be nice, but it would have been just as nice if the fucking taper had just left the goddamn rig in his lap instead of tucked under his seat (notice how the sound improves when he's checking the tape)

If only the same people who taped Pink Floyd in Atlanta three days later had taped Zeppelin...the Floyd recording has been passed off as a soundboard, that's how good it is...sigh...

That explains why it kept improving in sound and then fading. I thought it was my ears adjusting.

I've noticed that tapers of prog bands tended to not record Zeppelin. Over on the east coast, Dan Lampinski made dozens of excellent tapes in the Boston area during the 70s, but never did a Zep show. Did some nice Pink Floyd, Tull, and Yes though...

New Haven 15 August 1970. I really like the 1970 tour. It's not as raw as the 1969 shows, but they've developed into a fine-tuned machine and the songs from the first two albums really shine. As the songs from the third album are added into the setlist the variety of the material makes for a really exciting concert.

The party around the taper really gives you a sense of how much concerts have changed in 40 years. Wish I was there with them.

Edited by Feline Overlord