What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Oh that's awesome! :ahhh: I can't understand why it's not mentioned here more, I think it outclasses pretty much every other '70 show, even blueberry hill and Montreux!

It's sooooo good

It gets mentioned here, but depending on the context, it might get overlooked sometimes because of the sound quality.

It is definitely in my top 10 or 12 Zeppelin shows that I like to listen to, and I rank it above Blueberry Hill and Montreux '70 in performance. But some people won't accept anything less than soundboard or Mike Millard tape quality and when they ask for bootleg references with great sound, it means shows like 9.19.70 often don't make the cut to some people's ears.

It gets mentioned here, but depending on the context, it might get overlooked sometimes because of the sound quality.

It is definitely in my top 10 or 12 Zeppelin shows that I like to listen to, and I rank it above Blueberry Hill and Montreux '70 in performance. But some people won't accept anything less than soundboard or Mike Millard tape quality and when they ask for bootleg references with great sound, it means shows like 9.19.70 often don't make the cut to some people's ears.

Ah that makes sense, the recording is pretty meh but it's not bad! Pretty well balanced for an audience recording and I can't get over the incredible setlist

Ah that makes sense, the recording is pretty meh but it's not bad! Pretty well balanced for an audience recording and I can't get over the incredible setlist

Same here...first time I listened to the show, the stretch from the WLL medley to the encores with the Out on the Tiles/Communication Breakdown and The Girl Can't Help It/Twenty Flight Rock combos made my hair stand on end. Simply sizzling!

It should be noted for accuracy, in case any newcomers are reading this, that it is the Evening show of September 19, 1970 that we are referring to, not the early afternoon concert. The band played two concerts at MSG on 9.19.70. Both shows were taped and the afternoon show is good but the evening one is killer. A MUST-HAVE for any Zeppelin collection.

Same here...first time I listened to the show, the stretch from the WLL medley to the encores with the Out on the Tiles/Communication Breakdown and The Girl Can't Help It/Twenty Flight Rock combos made my hair stand on end. Simply sizzling!

It should be noted for accuracy, in case any newcomers are reading this, that it is the Evening show of September 19, 1970 that we are referring to, not the early afternoon concert. The band played two concerts at MSG on 9.19.70. Both shows were taped and the afternoon show is good but the evening one is killer. A MUST-HAVE for any Zeppelin collection.

One more thing on that, I have the Born to Please release from years ago, is the newer ones any better?

Edited by BlyZeppelinaren

One more thing on that, I have the Born to Please release from years ago, is the newer ones any better?

I have heard a few different versions, usually pretty similar to my ears. Here is a review of the version I own. According to CMR, its as good as definitive.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/led-zeppelin/led-zeppelin-one-more-for-the-road-boogie-mama/

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

9/19/1970 (evening show)

Whole Lotta Love (inc. Boogie Chillen', Dust My Broom, Truckin' Little Mama, Bottle Up and Go, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Cinnamon Girl, Some Other Guy, Train Kept a Rollin, I'm a King Bee, Baby Don't You Want to Go, Honey Bee, CC Rider, The Lemon Song)/Out on the Tiles/Communication Breakdown (ft. Gallows Pole)/The Girl Can't Help It/Talkin Bout You/Twenty Flight Rock/How Many More Times (inc. Cadillac, Blueberry Hill)

Here is the setlist from the final hour of the show I posted about a month ago. I actually forgot to include Gallows Pole, Truckin Little Mama and Honey Bee. :blush:

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

Here is my progression on this show starting with the first release I acquired to the most recent...they all sound pretty much the same.

Requiem

requiem_f.jpg

One More For the Road

RvUTled-zeppelin-one-more-for-the-road-m

Praying Silently for Jimi (both the afternoon and evening concerts on 4 discs)

19700919F.jpg

19700919R.jpg

The best version of 1970/09/19 is 'One More For the Road 2005 Edition'. It's the lowest generation/best transfer around, better than anything bootleg label has released.

I got that the other day but I also got "Funeral for a friend" and I think that sounds better than the other ones, pretty good on the bass and stuff, a soundboard would be so amazing!

1970/09/19 is not such a bad recording, just a little "distant". Maybe a bit of effort to put on your bootleg ears but the payback is well worth it! It has one of the best setlists of the Fall '70 tour.

I'm listening to Berkeley 1970/09/02 right now! Maybe my favorite from 1970.

Edited to say "Oops! I meant Oakland 1970/09/02"

Edited by chef free

Oh no not at all, the balance is great, you really hear everything very well, the balance is up there with the Millard tapes, just not as clear otherwise, I don't know if any amount of remastering could fix that which is a shame, such a good show deserves the best audio quality possible

And I have Berkeley already and it's a GREAT show like most 1970 shows, the thing I love about 1970/09/19 is that it's so looong, goes on forever and every second is amazing

Edited by BlyZeppelinaren

I hope BBC sessions, HTWWW and DVD, get more and more people into the early bootlegs! Most of the very known bootlegs of the latter era, have a lot better sound then most of the early ones and even if many latter shows bootlegs, have all the essence of the early ones, some people were missing quite a lot, by not really knowing about the greatness of the early shows, including almost non existent Page sloppiness, chameleonic nature of the early shows, great improvisations, that were especially vigoruos early on and huge energy!

Edited by Matjaz1

I just picked up a copy of this show....it is my next one to pop in a listen to!

Currently listening to:

No Quarter - May 26, 1973 - Salt Lake City