Pontiac Silverdome Footage

tom kid

Believe me, that is part of the reason why the "RO community" has a bit of a smelly reputation amongst Zeppelin collectors. True, to their credit they have brought a hell of a lot of goodies to the surface through resourcefulness and, ahem, ingenuity over the years but at the same they also have the highest ratio of 'hoarders' and 'elite collectors' with this "I/we have something you don't have" attitude. And that has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement or anything, but the fact that they insist on basically teasing other collectors about having some of this uncirculating stuff has always incensed me. I mean, what are their motives? Waiting to sell out to the highest bidder? A sense of superiority over other collectors? Y'know, like, WTF?! I've always said if you have something others don't have, don't tease people or lord it over them- don't fucking mention it all, and maybe then you won't have such a negative reputation. Again, it's fucking kids games...bloody well grow up already! It's only concert footage or recordings by a defunct rock and roll band- hoarding this stuff is not going to get you laid or promoted in yer job or a new car or anything, when it comes to REAL LIFE -i.e. outside of the Zeppelin community- nobody else gives a shit. If you think owning an uncirculating piece of film footage or audience recording suddenly makes you Grand High Poohbah Of All Creation, you obviously have some serious fucking mental issues that need to be addressed...

:):beer:

Probably because he DOESN'T have it, guys...ol' KDH was probably as full of shit about having even a snippet of Pontiac '77 film as he was about his claims that Peter Grant personally destroyed the Pontiac pro-shot footage... :lol::rolleyes: Notice how he pretty much made himself scarce from this discussion as soon as he made his claims. "How do I transfer? How do I upload it...blah blah blah..." if there was any truth to the claims he would have found a way, believe me. And some of you guys were too busy stepping on one another's dicks to see who gets the credit for bringing it to the masses to even consider that we were being taken for a ride...fuck me.

The more I think about it, maybe P.T. Barnum was right...y'know, suckers being born every minute and all that...

FWIW I know '3hrs Of Lunacy' -who confirmed earlier in this discussion that some 20 mins or so of Pontiac audience shot footage exists- is one of the most trustworthy Zeppelin collectors I can think of...his claims hold a hell of a lot more water than any fuckin' wannabe 'elite collector'.

Forgive the bump, but rereading this thread has been fucking hilarious... :lol:

+1 You sir, are a breath of fresh air. :thumbsup:

wave-finger.gif

No need to take offense, 3hrs...as I've said before yer one of the FEW people within the Zeppelin community I not only TRUST but RESPECT. You know the bullshit that goes down and has gone down in the past -not just at RO but all over when it comes to Zeppelin- as much as I do. And if you read the comments I've made in this discussion, well, you may not agree with all of 'em but you gotta admit I have a point or two. Hell, I'm a member over at the Hotel as well, but as I've said before when it comes to Zeppelin collectors my bullshit detector is always on high. And I freely admit that my motives are clear, and always have been- I want the uncirculating '77 shows, that's all I've ever really wanted, and once I've gotten what I've wanted (assuming I ever do, but I don't give a fuck if it takes twenty goddamn years) I'm fuckin' outta here. Life is too short and I am getting too old for this shit, but I ain't gonna give up until at the very least Indianapolis and Baton Rouge '77 (since we KNOW they exist) are part of my collection.

Strider, I'm not a breath of fresh air, just a '77 tour fanatic/collector who knows all too well how the fuckin' game is played, and I openly object to some of the rules of the game, that's all.

Edited by Nutrocker

Ok, why would you give someone one of your personal audience recordings just to hoard?

With the specific case I mentioned, mainly to add fuel to the fire of torturing/teasing other collectors...at least that's what I gleaned from the discussions when I read them, years after the fact. Freezer gave at least samples of his uncirculating '71 and '77 recordings to a couple of his online 'friends' mainly because they paid proper homage to him (i.e. kissed his ass enough when the game got rough back in '06 during the height of the "Freezer's Revenge" drama -the bad craziness that entailed when his '73 recording came out) See also my comments on feeling like the Grand High Poohbah, etc becasue you have something other people don't. I freely admit if I had been one of those people he gave those shows to, I would have circulated them in a New Orleans minute, damn the consequences (what, am I supposed to be afraid of online characters I've never met, nor ever will meet? What a fuckin' joke!), Why? Because my parents taught me to share.

Could someone tell me what "freezer's revenge" is? I know who Freezer is, but what is that?

It's all in the PM I sent ya, LZF...discussing it here would seriously derail this thread (even more than it already has been...)

But in layman's terms, probably the finest example ever of how fucked up some Zeppelin collectors can be.

No need to take offense, 3hrs...as I've said before yer one of the FEW people within the Zeppelin community I not only TRUST but RESPECT. You know the bullshit that goes down and has gone down in the past -not just at RO but all over when it comes to Zeppelin- as much as I do. And if you read the comments I've made in this discussion, well, you may not agree with all of 'em but you gotta admit I have a point or two. Hell, I'm a member over at the Hotel as well, but as I've said before when it comes to Zeppelin collectors my bullshit detector is always on high. And I freely admit that my motives are clear, and always have been- I want the uncirculating '77 shows, that's all I've ever really wanted, and once I've gotten what I've wanted (assuming I ever do, but I don't give a fuck if it takes twenty goddamn years) I'm fuckin' outta here. Life is too short and I am getting too old for this shit, but I ain't gonna give up until at the very least Indianapolis and Baton Rouge '77 (since we KNOW they exist) are part of my collection.

Strider, I'm not a breath of fresh air, just a '77 tour fanatic/collector who knows all too well how the fuckin' game is played, and I openly object to some of the rules of the game, that's all.

Nut,

My offense wasn't taken at you. There has been a lot of B.S. over the years in the Zeppelin trading circle, however, to generalize it as something that comes from R-O is wrong. Particularly when it comes from someone who is not a member there. If someone is going to state the site is full of hoarders who brag about what they are hoarding, then cite proof, because I certainly don't see it; and I happen to know most of the members there a little better than the person making the accusation. Those kind of wild statements only add fuel to that type of feeling toward the site, when in reality the members at R-O have liberated and improved upon more recordings than any other site on the web.

I'm going to bump this as 2012 was a while ago.

Has there been any talk at all about the possibility that pro shot film does indeed exist and is under the tight control of one James Patrick Page? - or indeed has Page himself said at any time he definitely doesn't have it? (If it does exist, I would guess it would have to be with Pagey since not a single frame has leaked.)

Also, I read a review of this show and it was very very positive. One of the better '77 shows. Not exactly LA or MGS, but right up there.

Is there AUD only, soundboard, or matrix?

Does anyone have a really good boot they could possibly share?

Why would Page only provide the Seattle footage - dark and average performance - to MTV for their 1990 special, and also for the Travelling Riverside Blues video, if better quality 77 footage existed.

Why would Dave Lewis never mention in any of his books seeing pro footage other than EC, Knebworth and Seattle at the SwanSong offices.

Likelihood is Page doesn’t have any more pro 77 footage.

Private collectors are another matter. This would mean the footage had escaped from the clutches of Grant during the tour or had been recorded when it had been forbidden by Grant and horded for all these years.

Edited by Boleskinner

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Why would Page only provide the Seattle footage - dark and average performance - to MTV for their 1990 special, and also for the Travelling Riverside Blues video, if better quality 77 footage existed.

Why would Dave Lewis never mention in any of his books seeing pro footage other than EC and Seattle at the SwanSong offices.

Likelihood is Page doesn’t have any more pro 77 footage.

Private collectors are another matter. This would mean the footage had escaped from the clutches of Grant during the tour or had been recorded when it had been forbidden by Grant and horded for all these years.

Then I guess its a huge loss. Oh well....

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

Then I guess its a huge loss. Oh well....

I agree.

my contribution to the urban myth camp is that I spoke to someone reputable, who is very close to the Showco camp, that claimed to have seen a 30minute pro shot rehearsal from the 77 tour at a private party.

Could be bull shit or true. Just like the rest.

I reckon if there was really good footage somewhere, we would've seen it by now, there would be a lot of money to be made if someone had it in their private collection.

Very unfortunate but I'd be amazed if anything came out now, footage-wise other than the Bath Festival stuff that's been discussed elsewhere along with the odd hand held thing from people at gigs.

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

I reckon if there was really good footage somewhere, we would've seen it by now, there would be a lot of money to be made if someone had it in their private collection.

Yes, but if that person who has it is rich they'd have no incentive to make money from it. I believe the person who supposedly has a copy (other than Page) was a major league baseball player (name escapes me) who's a huge Zeppelin fan. Also, didn't Grant say that they'd viewed the tape and then destroyed it because it looked/sounded  like shit? Of course, I don't believe they destroyed it , but it 'was' definitely (and probably still is) in Page's  possession. The Pontiac concert was a landmark show for them so I seriously doubt that they'd have burned it, or lost it along the way. Since they managed to hold on to Seattle then my guess is they have Pontiac as well,  lying around in the vault somewhere. I can't imagine it looking or sounding worse than Seattle, but you never know. The real shame is that the only pro-shot video we have of Zeppelin from 1977 is from their most anemic show of the tour...thats some shit luck right there..for them...and us.

The problem is, technology of the late 70's, even if the footage was shot for closed circuit in house TV for sky boxes or a video feed for the audience, would be shit. Unless it was pro-shot, which I highly doubt, and recorded with a mobile studio, even more doubtful, Page would only have the video feed and a cold, sterile soundboard. 

They planned on professionally filming and recording the last shows (JFK Stadium, Phili) of the aborted third leg of the tour and thus had zero desire to do anything prior as Page and Grant were tight as a Mormon on tax day.

There is no pro-shot, pro-recorded shows from 1977. Time to move on.

Both are taken from the Silverdome screen.....The Who from December '75, and Bob Seger from '76. Past articles suggest that Peter Grant did not want to provide a screen for the '77 Silverdome show, but stadium management insisted.  They knew the venue, and they knew what people expected from seeing past shows.  So why do we have these and not Zeppelin ?  Because I personally believe the rumors that Grant & Co. barged in the control room and confiscated the tapes.  They were made to provide the visuals, and it makes perfect sense that Grant wouldn't want anyone else to have the film except the band itself.  They paid for it.   Remember....portions of that '75 Who show has appeared on an official release, both audio & video.  That's one reason I still hold out a bit of hope that it still exists.  I also remember specifically hearing more than once on the radio before the show that it was going to be officially recorded for a future live release.  This was also mentioned on the radio after the show, for the benefit of those that didn't or couldn't attend.  It just seems strange that we've seen Seattle, we've seen recordings from the two shows above, yet absolutely nothing from the Zeppelin Silverdome show.  To me, that leaves only two possibilities....it was destroyed and it no longer exists, or they still have it.  I'm going with it's still in their possession.  Why destroy tapes of anything when Jimmy claims to this day it was a good and unique performance ?

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2014/10/led_zeppelins_jimmy_page_on_po.html

On 6/15/2018 at 2:21 AM, rm2551 said:

Also, I read a review of this show and it was very very positive. One of the better '77 shows. Not exactly LA or MGS, but right up there.

Is there AUD only, soundboard, or matrix?

Does anyone have a really good boot they could possibly share?

Not sure if anyone's messaged you regarding this, but there's only one audience recording from this show currently in circulation. It's distant, but the atmosphere is great. If you have bootleg ears, it's a pretty damn good performance. Here's a YouTube upload of it minus Stairway.

12 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Both are taken from the Silverdome screen.....The Who from December '75, and Bob Seger from '76. Past articles suggest that Peter Grant did not want to provide a screen for the '77 Silverdome show, but stadium management insisted.  They knew the venue, and they knew what people expected from seeing past shows.  So why do we have these and not Zeppelin ?  Because I personally believe the rumors that Grant & Co. barged in the control room and confiscated the tapes.  They were made to provide the visuals, and it makes perfect sense that Grant wouldn't want anyone else to have the film except the band itself.  They paid for it.   Remember....portions of that '75 Who show has appeared on an official release, both audio & video.  That's one reason I still hold out a bit of hope that it still exists.  I also remember specifically hearing more than once on the radio before the show that it was going to be officially recorded for a future live release.  This was also mentioned on the radio after the show, for the benefit of those that didn't or couldn't attend.  It just seems strange that we've seen Seattle, we've seen recordings from the two shows above, yet absolutely nothing from the Zeppelin Silverdome show.  To me, that leaves only two possibilities....it was destroyed and it no longer exists, or they still have it.  I'm going with it's still in their possession.  Why destroy tapes of anything when Jimmy claims to this day it was a good and unique performance ?

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2014/10/led_zeppelins_jimmy_page_on_po.html

Interesting stuff.

The Who footage is a lot brighter and better quality than Zep at Seattle, and there is superior camera angles with full-shots of the band, etc. 

So if Pontiac has been recorded, it's a shame the tape was destroyed or is being horded by some rich quarterback 😉

Edited by Boleskinner

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:20 PM, blindwillie127 said:

Yes, but if that person who has it is rich they'd have no incentive to make money from it. I believe the person who supposedly has a copy (other than Page) was a major league baseball player (name escapes me) who's a huge Zeppelin fan. Also, didn't Grant say that they'd viewed the tape and then destroyed it because it looked/sounded  like shit? Of course, I don't believe they destroyed it , but it 'was' definitely (and probably still is) in Page's  possession. The Pontiac concert was a landmark show for them so I seriously doubt that they'd have burned it, or lost it along the way. Since they managed to hold on to Seattle then my guess is they have Pontiac as well,  lying around in the vault somewhere. I can't imagine it looking or sounding worse than Seattle, but you never know. The real shame is that the only pro-shot video we have of Zeppelin from 1977 is from their most anemic show of the tour...thats some shit luck right there..for them...and us.

The sound on the footage would have just been from a patch to the sound board . So the soundtrack would have been the same mix being sent to the p a. So the film would have foh audio. The acoustics of the siverdome  and the size of the place would have made it hard to  get an foh mix that sounded good in the venue. So a recording of that mix may have sounded really  odd  and poorly balanced  the recording could have ended up  really overloaded sounding.