LL Cool J

Darlene Love

Laura Nyro

Donna Summer

Joe Tex

Tom Waits

Chuck Willis

What do you guys think? :)

Smells like bullsh!t to me! Again, some of the most influential and biggest selling acts are nowhere to be found!

I think people are going to get their shorts knotted about something that doesn't mean anything and this thread will then be full of hilarious arguments and bitching.

Good call. Even though it has put many great bands in, this Rock and Roll Hall of Fame loses a lot of meaning to me when LL Cool J gets on a list and Rush has never even sniffed making it in. That's an injustice. But maybe I should take a lesson from Rush and just not care. B)

http://rockhall.com/inductees

Nominees for 2011 are:

Alice Cooper

Beastie Boys

Bon Jovi

Chic

Neil Diamond

Donovan

Dr. John

J. Geils Band

LL Cool J

Darlene Love

Laura Nyro

Donna Summer

Joe Tex

Tom Waits

Chuck Willis

My only question is "what the hell is LL Cool J doing on that list?"....LOL! :lol: Next (in 10 to 15 years time perhaps) we'll be seeing blokes like Kanye West on the nominees list! What a joke this is turning out to be! :lol:

From Alice's website:

"On behalf of Dennis (Dunaway), Neal (Smith), Michael (Bruce) and the late great Glen (Buxton), we are honored to be nominated for induction in to the Hall. Anytime you are nominated in your chosen profession, it's definitely a compliment to be recognized.

It's hard to fathom possibly being in the same club as artists who inspired us originally, like the Beatles, the Stones, the Beach Boys, the Who, the Yardbirds, and Chuck Berry, and to be nominated the same year as legendary artists like my personal favorite songwriter of all time, Laura Nyro, as well as Donovan, who sang on our "Billion Dollar Babies" record, and our good friends in Bon Jovi, is a great feeling.

Five guys starting a band, just hoping to meet girls and drink free beer, rehearsing and playing local bars five hours a night for the first few years -- that was us. We came up with the theatrics and made every effort not to sacrifice the music one bit; we thought it was like our job to bring theatrics to rock 'n' roll. And then, amazingly enough, we were having a bunch of massive hit records which was proof that theatricality and rock 'n' roll could, in fact, be joined successfully. We've been told that we revolutionized the live concert experience and if that's truly the case and it's led to this nomination for induction into the Hall of Fame, the only thing to say is, of course, "There's no business like show business!" - Alice Cooper

I think people are going to get their shorts knotted about something that doesn't mean anything and this thread will then be full of hilarious arguments and bitching.

I agree with you, but of that list, Alice Cooper, Dr. John and Neil Diamond shouldn't even be on it. They should already be enshrined there.

Why not just take every "classic rock" band that's had at least 2 albums out and at least one big hit on FM Top 40 radio and enshrine them. That's about what it's turning out to be.

Seriously, you can't have every rock band that's been popular in there.

It's always been about a numbers game, not the quality of the music. No wonder many of the better bands who's music is far superior to average rock aren't in there. They aren't in the mainstream.

All these polls and popularity contests are crap. It's always the same bands or individuals mentioned over and over, a very small subset of the entire genre. And whoever said something about the arguments that go on with fans had it right, it's all a bunch of nothing but exalted praise for those already in the limelight. Dig a little deeper, it may enrich your narrow view.

Why not just take every "classic rock" band that's had at least 2 albums out and at least one big hit on FM Top 40 radio and enshrine them. That's about what it's turning out to be.

Seriously, you can't have every rock band that's been popular in there.

It's always been about a numbers game, not the quality of the music. No wonder many of the better bands who's music is far superior to average rock aren't in there. They aren't in the mainstream.

All these polls and popularity contests are crap. It's always the same bands or individuals mentioned over and over, a very small subset of the entire genre. And whoever said something about the arguments that go on with fans had it right, it's all a bunch of nothing but exalted praise for those already in the limelight. Dig a little deeper, it may enrich your narrow view.

While I may not agree with all of their choices over the years, I do beg to differ with your standpoint. The inductees are based on their influence, not popularity (and/or sales figures) or else you'd never have bands like the Velvet Underground in there. That said, I can't for the life of me figure out how Bon Jovi ever got nominated. Glaring omissions at this point include Rush, Yes, Kiss, Deep Purple, the Replacements and many others who I feel were very influential in the evolution of rock n' roll. Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Alice Cooper should have been in years ago. That's where Jann Wenner's asshattery steps in.

don't think anyones angry.....just some of these artists aren't "rock n roll" artists

maybe they should make a disco hall of fame......or call it the music hall of fame

semantical i spose

:P just making conversation really

I've always been of the opinion that the term Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was meant to be broadbased and not be limited to rock. You could argue a lot of the early r&b artists shouldn't be in there either if you eliminate any non "rock" bands.

I've always been of the opinion that the term Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was meant to be broadbased and not be limited to rock. You could argue a lot of the early r&b artists shouldn't be in there either if you eliminate any non "rock" bands.

Same goes for reggae (Bob Marley is in). Still, I thought he, R & B performers, etc. were included to show their influence on rock n' roll. That's why I don't understand the inclusion of LL Cool J, Donna Summer, etc. Who in rock n' roll did they influence?

Same goes for reggae (Bob Marley is in). Still, I thought he, R & B performers, etc. were included to show their influence on rock n' roll. That's why I don't understand the inclusion of LL Cool J, Donna Summer, etc. Who in rock n' roll did they influence?

Oh I am all in support of the early R&B performers for sure! I was using it as an example if you limit the induction to just rock musicians.

I don't understand why anyone would care enough about this to get angry/annoyed/bothered that this group or that group or whomever isn't in it.

It's only natural. Any aspect of entertainment that has a hall of fame, whether it's music or baseball, people are going to argue about who does & doesn't belong in said hall of fame. Just like I'll argue all day long that Alan Trammell belongs in the baseball hall of fame if Ozzie Smith is in there, people will argue about their favorite band's right to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or why a certain band they hate doesn't belong. We do it from the time we're kids all the way through - standing on the corner arguing with our friends who is "better".

http://rockhall.com/inductees

Nominees for 2011 are:

Alice Cooper

Beastie Boys

Bon Jovi

Chic

Neil Diamond

Donovan

Dr. John

J. Geils Band

LL Cool J

Darlene Love

Laura Nyro

Donna Summer

Joe Tex

Tom Waits

Chuck Willis

Good to see that Alice Cooper was finally nominated! :thumbsup:

I see that LL Cool J is nominated for a second time- however KISS, nominated last year didn't make the cut for this year :thumbdown:

I thought that maybe Guns N Roses would be nominated (Appetite For Destruction came out in '86 I think so it's 25 years now) but I guess they'll have to wait.

I wish the Rock Hall would tell me how Donna Summer influenced more people in rock & roll than Deep Purple has :blink:

Good to see that Alice Cooper was finally nominated! :thumbsup:

I see that LL Cool J is nominated for a second time- however KISS, nominated last year didn't make the cut for this year :thumbdown:

I thought that maybe Guns N Roses would be nominated (Appetite For Destruction came out in '86 I think so it's 25 years now) but I guess they'll have to wait.

I wish the Rock Hall would tell me how Donna Summer influenced more people in rock & roll than Deep Purple has :blink:

Appetite came out in '87, so not 25 years yet. Whether they deserve it is a whole 'nother argument.

Appetite came out in '87, so not 25 years yet. Whether they deserve it is a whole 'nother argument.

Didn't their EP Live Like A Suicide precede Appetite by a few years? Not sure if it has to be a full length recording for them to qualify. I have never cared for Axl Rose but G n' R belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame beyond a shadow of a doubt. Definitely much more so than Bon Jovi. Yeah, they've been around for a long while but I have no idea who they've influenced, unless they were nominated on the strength of inventing "Mom metal".

Archived