2010 Nominees for 2011 Rock Hall Inductions

pagemccartney95

The reason I get angry is because of the history of rock and roll. Right from the start it was always considered evil, terrible. Remember the old commercial:

rock and roll has got to go - and the guy in the suit smashed the record against the record player.

They tried to make it like listening to rock and roll is wrong, and should not be done.

Rock has always been the bad boy of music. Never acknowledged in he grammy's. Then it finallly did

get it's own catgegory and some crap singer wins(sorry i don't recall who it was, donna summer possibly?). It seemed that the ones in charge of the music

industry has no clue as to what good music is.(except ahmet, of course) and noone seems to know shit about rock and roll.

then finally we get a home. It's in cleveland, but at least we now have a home. and it's a cool building, right on frigging Lake erie, sweet! just for us rockers.

no bullshit music, no more country, no more classical, no more r&b, rap didn't even or barely existed at the time.

Finally something that is for just us, the stoners, junkies and freaks, the rock and roll - and I repeat - the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I guess, as with many things in life, my expectations were too high.

as far as influences, not. If they didn't play rock and roll they should not be there.

as far as freaking donna summer getting nominated before rush and Yes!?!?! I lose all respect for anything associated with this farce.

The soccer moms and PTA dads took over.

At some point "rock and roll" became safe and embraced by many who surely didn't fit the lifestyle.

That's reflected in the nominee's through the years and the crowd that attends shows now. Sometimes I wander the crowds of show's I don't even go to, just look at those waiting in line for the venue to open and I wonder who is playing. Often time it's an old rock band, but now the concert goer's look like they're going to see some song and dance entertainer like Michael Bolton or Reba McIntyre or Barry Manilow.

It's become so middle of the road. Saccharinated, watered down mush.

The reason I get angry is because of the history of rock and roll. Right from the start it was always considered evil, terrible. Remember the old commercial:

rock and roll has got to go - and the guy in the suit smashed the record against the record player.

They tried to make it like listening to rock and roll is wrong, and should not be done.

Rock has always been the bad boy of music. Never acknowledged in he grammy's. Then it finallly did

get it's own catgegory and some crap singer wins(sorry i don't recall who it was, donna summer possibly?). It seemed that the ones in charge of the music

industry has no clue as to what good music is.(except ahmet, of course) and noone seems to know shit about rock and roll.

then finally we get a home. It's in cleveland, but at least we now have a home. and it's a cool building, right on frigging Lake erie, sweet! just for us rockers.

no bullshit music, no more country, no more classical, no more r&b, rap didn't even or barely existed at the time.

Finally something that is for just us, the stoners, junkies and freaks, the rock and roll - and I repeat - the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I guess, as with many things in life, my expectations were too high.

as far as influences, not. If they didn't play rock and roll they should not be there.

as far as freaking donna summer getting nominated before rush and Yes!?!?! I lose all respect for anything associated with this farce.

OMG, relax. You're taking this far too seriously and putting too much stock into something that is subjective at best and erroneous at worst. There is no reason to get this worked up over the RRHOF.

OMG, relax. You're taking this far too seriously and putting too much stock into something that is subjective at best and erroneous at worst. There is no reason to get this worked up over the RRHOF.

He's just pointing out a correct viewpoint. He's obviously not some 20 something trying to grasp a concept that he didn't live through. Just by his post I can tell he's probably at least 45.

Rock and the whole atmosphere surrounding it, including fans, have changed drastically over the decades. It's all watered down from the edge and danger it once projected and seized. It's safe now. Much of the fun of the unexpected "shakings" is completely gone and that's not a good thing.

Remember in Almost Famous when the Lester Bangs character says to the William Miller character, "You got here just in time for the death rattle. Last gasp. Last grope?" Fast forward to when the Kinks were inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1990; as Ray Davies (dressed in a tuxedo, along with the rest of the Kinks) is accepting their award, he asks, "when did Rock n' Roll become respectable?" Rock n' Roll still maintains an edge but as each generation has come along, they've found another type of music to piss their parents off. If your parents grew up on rock n' roll it's kind of hard to rebel against them with rock n' roll. So, when rap became popular, it became the music that pissed parents off. No telling what type of music will come along next that embodies that same rebellious spirit.

Sure there is. They have taken the one and only place in the world that is dedicated to rock and roll and made it into a music hall of fame. They should just change the name, get it over with,

and then someone somewhere will open up a rock and roll hall of fame, like the one we once had.

I guess I should be called what... a separatist maybe? Thats probably the most accurate. I just want rock and roll to be only rock and roll and

considering where it came from it deserves it.

On ther personal level, I get worked up over the weather some days. And when I get reminded of how the people in charge of the hof run it, it bothers me to no end since rock and roll is a big

part of my life.

Overall I didn't mean to upset anyone and I do apologize if that is what I have done.

""Rock and the whole atmosphere surrounding it, including fans, have changed drastically over the decades. It's all watered down from the edge and danger it once projected and seized. It's safe now. Much of the fun of the unexpected "shakings" is completely gone and that's not a good thing.""

EXACTLY!!! and 45 is right on the money.

Sure there is. They have taken the one and only place in the world that is dedicated to rock and roll and made it into a music hall of fame. They should just change the name, get it over with,

and then someone somewhere will open up a rock and roll hall of fame, like the one we once had.

What good would a new Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame do? If that were to actually happen you'd run into the same thing, you're never going to make everyone happy.

I guess I should be called what... a separatist maybe? Thats probably the most accurate. I just want rock and roll to be only rock and roll and considering where it came from it deserves it.

Where it comes from is the blues, R & B, country, jazz, bluegrass, etc. so there would be no way to have a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame without recognizing all of the influences that brought rock n' roll together in the first place.

""Rock and the whole atmosphere surrounding it, including fans, have changed drastically over the decades. It's all watered down from the edge and danger it once projected and seized. It's safe now. Much of the fun of the unexpected "shakings" is completely gone and that's not a good thing.""

EXACTLY!!! and 45 is right on the money.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Mike Cooley of the Drive-By Truckers who once sang, "Rock n' Roll means well but it can't help telling young boys lies". If you want to believe rock n' roll has become homogenized and has lost it's edge then it will be true. Personally, I don't find that to be the case. If you want to go by what's popular on mainstream radio and TV then I can see where you might arrive at that conclusion but there is still good rock n' roll with a dangerous edge to it out there, you just have to look for it. No one's going to hand it to you on a silver platter.

Oh I am all in support of the early R&B performers for sure! I was using it as an example if you limit the induction to just rock musicians.

I agree but I do believe there needs to be a cut-off somewhere. The early R & B performers I understand (as well as country artists such as Cash) but Donna Summer, Madonna, Chic, LL Cool J, etc., I don't understand. I think it's Jann Wenner's way of being controversial. They tried to be controversial with the induction of the Sex Pistols and their refusal to attend but that came off as staged to me (because it most likely was). The beauty of rock n' roll is that it blurs the lines between other types of music so it's certainly not an easy task to decide where that line needs to be drawn.

Fast forward to when the Kinks were inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1990; as Ray Davies (dressed in a tuxedo, along with the rest of the Kinks) is accepting their award, he asks, "When did Rock n' Roll become respectable?" Rock n' Roll still maintains an edge but as each generation has come along, they've found another type of music to piss their parents off. If your parents grew up on rock n' roll it's kind of hard to rebel against them with rock n' roll. So, when rap became popular, it became the music that pissed parents off. No telling what type of music will come along next that embodies that same rebellious spirit.

Yes, R&R, at it's core, was always about

"Great Balls Of Fire" & "A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" !!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Alice Cooper - Yes

Beastie Boys - No

Bon Jovi - Ok

Chic- No

Neil Diamond - YES

Donovan - Yes

Dr. John - Yes

J. Geils Band- Ok

LL Cool J - No