Doobie Brothers

The Pagemeister

• 1 year later...

SONOMA, Calif. — Longtime Doobie Brothers drummer Michael Hossack, whose work is heard on the hits "Listen To The Music" and "China Grove," died of cancer at age 65, his manager said today.

Hossack died Monday at his home in Dubois, Wyo., manager Bruce Cohn said in a statement

Hossack played with the group from 1971 to 1973 and rejoined in 1987. He stopped performing with the band two years ago while struggling with his health,

RIP

Sad to read this.

The Doobies were regular listening for me as a kid. We had renamed a park next to the high school I went to "China Grove" because we liked the song. Of course that's where we went to smoke our doobies.

They truly made so much great music. Seems like weekly we are losing some of the greatest. This is one of my favorite albums, but I can honestly say I can't think of a song they did that I did not like.

Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street

Great tune Deborah. As a kid trying to learn how to play guitar the guy giving me lessons told me if I could learn to play this then I could learn how to play anything. I never quite did lol.

Great song off of a great album. I'm really getting old.........

I posted this in the what are you listening to thread but it ought to be here too......

I heard this song today on the radio and it just put a happy spin on my mood. Love it. I was gonna come home and post it in this thread but you beat me to it.

I'm really getting old.........

Aren't we all.

That's sad news. Hell, everybody loved the Doobie Brothers.

Can't say I was as fond of the Michael McDonald years. As for the Doobies in general so much of their stuff has been played into the ground on Classic Rock radio that it's sucked much of the enjoyment out of it for me. However, the Deep Tracks channel on XM will occasionally play one of their deep album cuts such as this one which reminds me of why I liked them in the first place. That said, I don't own a single Doobie Brothers album, probably because I heard them on the radio so much back in the 70s.

I lost interest in them when McDonald took over, they turned into L.A. slickage and I really had no interest in any of that. I've been avoiding classic rock radio like a plague for the past several years so whenever I do hear an old Doobies tune it's welcomed.

I can't say even the original Doobie Brothers were that spectacular but they were very very good and those old tunes of theirs bring me back to a different universe.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...