5/28/77 Soundboard

Misfit

I think I remember that there was supposed to be a soundboard of this show out there. I have an audience recording. If there is a soundboard, how good does it sound and should i get it in addition to my audience recording?

The soundboard is of the previous night.

I had this confused for a while too, thought maybe one of my sources was lying.

But there is a soundboard of the 28th, check bootleg documentation sites.

The one I have is:

Artist: Led Zeppelin

Date: 1977-05-28

Label: Empress Valley

Release title: "The Powhatan Confederacy" EVSD496

Lineage: Silver CDs> EAC (Secure Offset Corrected) > TLH > FLAC Level 8

Recording type: Soundboad

Quality: Excellent

The May 28 SBD sounds flatter than the May 26 one IMO, but then the soundboard isn't very flattering to the band's performance, either. The May 28 SBD has the same cuts/patches as the May 26 one as well, I think. It's certainly an improvement over the audience recording (May 30 is the only really decent Landover aud recording) but IMO it's one of the weaker '77 shows either way. I mean, I love drum solos, but this wasn't a night for Bonzo to go off for half an hour. He does sing, though :P

Yep...there are four '77 soundboards- April 27, May 21, May 26 and May 28. There's also a soundboard snippet of NQ, TYG and BOE from June 11 (I'm guessing that's all that exists for the SBD for that one...unfortunately). Many Seattle boots are listed as 'soundboard', of course, but are just the video soundtrack tweaked, etc (I prefer the audience recording for that one :D )

I still find it odd compared to '73 and '75 the lack of (circulating) soundboard recordings for 1977. You'd think there'd be more than four out there. Mind you, I'd sooner see one of the 'missing seven' '77 concerts show up as a SBD than one of the shows we already have tapes for...Houston was uncirculating until the SBD popped up.

I have both Sbd's, still not as good as Eddie

Yeah, because of their clean & sterile sound, soundboards aren't the greatest showcases for so-so performances, as they tend to amplify the mistakes and make sloppy playing very clear. That's why the 73 soundboards are great, because you can really hear the great instrumental playing, but in 77, soundboards aren't so kind.

Yeah, because of their clean & sterile sound, soundboards aren't the greatest showcases for so-so performances, as they tend to amplify the mistakes and make sloppy playing very clear. That's why the 73 soundboards are great, because you can really hear the great instrumental playing, but in 77, soundboards aren't so kind.

Especially the one from Cleveland on April 27 (Destroyer, not that I had to mention it). The performance via soundboard I think was recorded way too slow and is a very uninspired performance. Not one of their better performances from '77. Now the next night is completely different...

Especially the one from Cleveland on April 27 (Destroyer, not that I had to mention it). The performance via soundboard I think was recorded way to slow and is very uninspired. Not one of their better performances from '77. Now the next night is completely different...

I know you're talking about "Destroyer", but you also describe May 28 to a T. IMO. Same thing: slow, lackluster show followed by a kick ass one!

I know you're talking about "Destroyer", but you also describe May 28 to a T. IMO. Same thing: slow, lackluster show followed by a kick ass one!

Oh, you know it! I also like the the SB from the 26th. Good show, but not quite as good as the 30th.

I reckon that the first and last Landover shows (25th and 30th May) are the best of the four...ironically, the ones we don't have soundboards for (yet- I'd bet they exist and are just waiting for the right time to pop). May 30th is arguably one of the top '77 shows either way. Aside from most of the LA and NY shows, it's up there alongside April 28 as a Zep classic.

May 25 would probably get a lot more appreciation if the audience tape wasn't so bad- very distant and sorta muddy, you can barely hear the Plantations (which is probably part of the reason people have tried to pass May 25 off as other shows- Dallas and St Louis immediately come to mind!). You really gotta crank it up in order to hear what the band is doing. They seem a bit more together than they did in Houston and Fort Worth (the epitome of "Tight But Loose" 77 shows IMO)

Bonham is on fire during No Quarter on the 26th, too bad Page wasn't up to his standard.

I actually prefer the NQ from the 28th...the Boogie Section is like a prototype for some of the New York jams...

Bonham may have been on fire on the 26th but I reckon that was a byproduct of too much coke...he seems to be rushing quite a bit (hell, Jonesy barely gets to tickle the ivories before Bonzo comes in on NQ)- case in point, the intro to ALS! Damn shame that epic fucking drum solo was so boring, though. I remember thinking, "Wow! A thirty six minute drum solo! I gotta hear that!" Man, was I dissappointed! And the thirty five minute one on the 28th t'aint much better IMO. Specially on the heels of Fort Worth's drum solo where JB really pulled out all the stops.

I actually prefer the NQ from the 28th...the Boogie Section is like a prototype for some of the New York jams...

Bonham may have been on fire on the 26th but I reckon that was a byproduct of too much coke...he seems to be rushing quite a bit (hell, Jonesy barely gets to tickle the ivories before Bonzo comes in on NQ)- case in point, the intro to ALS! Damn shame that epic fucking drum solo was so boring, though. I remember thinking, "Wow! A thirty six minute drum solo! I gotta hear that!" Man, was I dissappointed! And the thirty five minute one on the 28th t'aint much better IMO. Specially on the heels of Fort Worth's drum solo where JB really pulled out all the stops.

Yeah I do agree that Bonham was rushing during the show, but some of the fills (especially towards the end of the song) are insane, I find myself busting out the air drums every time I listen to it haha.

Archived