Songs Which Make You Cry ...

zdr

That song, with Tammy, is stunning. Her voice send me shivers up the spine, in a good way.. lol

Yup. I don't know how such a tiny person have such a powerfull, vibrant voice.

One of my favourite Beatles' songs, written by George Harrison. Also I think one of their most under-rated songs from the White Album. I love the lyrics and I think Lennon's voice on this song is very haunting. I'm not sure why it makes me feel so sad. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vFCn3mUPZU

Back on topic, songs that make me cry/feel sad, I would have to say Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven. This song was played at my uncle's funeral when he died aged 36. It's a beautiful song, but brings back so many sad memories for me. :(

I truly cannot believe no one (who has posted in this thread so far) has even thought of posting this! So beautiful! :wub:

This song really tends to have this rather calmning effect on me! :wub:

I thought of posting it but figured it was too obvious of a choice. The song itself aside, I think the video is among the most compelling ever made.

...and, speaking of Everybody Hurts and Tears In Heaven, has anyone else seen this article?

R.E.M.'s 'Everybody Hurts' has topped a poll of the songs most likely to make a grown man cry, whereas the Simon Cowell-organised celebrity cover version of the same song leads a poll of the tracks most likely to make a grown man bang his head against a brick wall until it bleeds.

It's PRS For Music which has compiled this list having surveyed 1700 wussy men, because obviously no song would make a real man cry. Well, except maybe 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the right context. Anyway, coming up the ten biggest tear jerkers, but first a quote from PRS chief Ellis Rich.

Ellis: "From this chart, it is clear that a well-written tear-jerker is one that people can relate to and empathise with. It is this lyrical connection that can reach deep down emotionally and move even the strongest of men".

1. R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts

2. Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

3. Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

4. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

5. U2 - With Or Without You

6. The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

7. Elton John - Candle In The Wind

8. Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia

9. Todd Duncan - Unchained Melody

10. Robbie Williams - Angels

...and, speaking of Everybody Hurts and Tears In Heaven, has anyone else seen this article?

R.E.M.'s 'Everybody Hurts' has topped a poll of the songs most likely to make a grown man cry, whereas the Simon Cowell-organised celebrity cover version of the same song leads a poll of the tracks most likely to make a grown man bang his head against a brick wall until it bleeds.

It's PRS For Music which has compiled this list having surveyed 1700 wussy men, because obviously no song would make a real man cry. Well, except maybe 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in the right context. Anyway, coming up the ten biggest tear jerkers, but first a quote from PRS chief Ellis Rich.

Ellis: "From this chart, it is clear that a well-written tear-jerker is one that people can relate to and empathise with. It is this lyrical connection that can reach deep down emotionally and move even the strongest of men".

1. R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts

2. Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

3. Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

4. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

5. U2 - With Or Without You

6. The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

7. Elton John - Candle In The Wind

8. Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia

9. Todd Duncan - Unchained Melody

10. Robbie Williams - Angels

Such a cheesy list, IMO. As a woman, I find REM's song annoying as hell. It "[makes me] bang [my] head against a brick wall until it bleeds", too.

Such a cheesy list, IMO. As a woman, I find REM's song annoying as hell. It "[makes me] bang [my] head against a brick wall until it bleeds", too.

As cheesy as Everybody Hurts may seem to some, it really is a very uplifting song if you're feeling depressed. It's not a song of theirs I listen to often but on those occasions when I am sad, it has a way of lifting my spirits.

As cheesy as Everybody Hurts may seem to some, it really is a very uplifting song if you're feeling depressed. It's not a song of theirs I listen to often but on those occasions when I am sad, it has a way of lifting my spirits.

Meh. Maybe I'm just burned out of it.

Or maybe Zep's music changed my taste, since there was a time (long time ago) when I liked Everybody Hurts..

Meh. Maybe I'm just burned out of it.

Or maybe Zep's music changed my taste, since there was a time (long time ago) when I liked Everybody Hurts..

I guess it can be taken as being a little heavy handed but the song definitely gets the point across. If it's stopped even one person from committing suicide then it's worth it. That said, it's far from my favorite R.E.M. song but it has certainly had a strong impact.

I guess it can be taken as being a little heavy handed but the song definitely gets the point across. If it's stopped even one person from committing suicide then it's worth it. That said, it's far from my favorite R.E.M. song but it has certainly had a strong impact.

Hm? Weird. I always had the feeling that this would be the song that the suicidal one would listen, get sadder and then go to cut/hung/OD himself/herself.

Hm? Weird. I always had the feeling that this would be the song that the suicidal one would listen, get sadder and then go to cut/hung/OD himself/herself.

No, that would be Shiny Happy People. :D

All kidding aside, I have a friend that's said something very similar. He only listens to Everybody Hurts when he's depressed, then it only makes him more depressed. Not that it's a blues song but a funny thing about the blues is that for a style of music so drenched in sadness, it really helps to lift your spirits.

No, that would be Shiny Happy People. :D

That is indeed a dangerous song. Some time ago, while listening to it and hopping/skiping/bouncing happy through the house, I sliped on the pavement and hit myself with the head on the front door. :lol:

Not that it's a blues song but a funny thing about the blues is that for a style of music so drenched in sadness, it really helps to lift your spirits.

I think that the "uplifting effect" of the blues have something to do with its simplicity. Somehow, the life seems less complicated while you listen to the old songs and you can focus on the basic problems of love and life.

^ I forgot how much I love this song

Ok, now some other depressing ones (but at the same time carrying some hope):

Morcheeba - Enjoy The Ride

(I wonder if one can keep his eyes dry during this song)

Archived