Favorite Zeppelin albums

ThelegendaryZepp

My personal picks are; Led Zeppelin 1 Untitled album and Houses of the holy

Number 1 has always been the album i go back to and hear their blues influence. Houses i love because it is the first zeppelin album that really sounded unique and fresh...This album still sounds like nothing out there. And then there's number 4, the greatest example of the the ferocious beast they were and still, yet it also shows the gentle side of them. This light and dark kinda of thing is what really made me a huge fan, although it was there loud bombastic side that captured me initially. It is the gentle side that keeps me interested in the long run.

Led Zeppelin 1. THE blueprint. The Plan. The Campaign... the masterwork of young English Art students who considered themselves bluesmen. (in a fashion.)

With the exception of live recordings Page was never more "intense and intent" in his soloing. Aggressive and lyrical. The band firing on ALL cylinders.

Physical Graffiti. A massive slab of seventies UBER-rock. Its all here warts and all. The rockers, the epics and the throw-aways. A beautiful and flawed pean to that languid period of excess known as the 70's.

Presence. Drug addled and urgent. Pleading and pounding. Jeezizz...if this is what the band could do under the effects of cocaine herion and car injuries...sign me up now. Achilles Last Stand. For the love of Valhalla! Throw in the white-boy funk and neo-rockabilly, and sheeezz, who could ask for anything more. If this had been their last album it would be considered a classic.

1. Physical Graffiti: This is my favorite album because there's just so much it has to offer. Packed with songs ranging from folk to blues to middle-eastern, etc. the album has it all. Kashmir is my favorite song, but there are a ton of other great songs that could easily make my Led Zep top ten. PG's not perfect, and a few songs don't match the greatness of the others, but it doesn't matter. There is so much variety and so much quality that it's impossible to deny.

2. Untitled: The most popular and most well known Led Zeppelin album comes in a very close second for me. The album is varied but consistent, covering a lot of ground without having a bad song in between. I could easily argue that the fourth album has the highest quality of Zep's albums, but I think the quantity is why it loses out to Physical Graffiti. Eight great songs on this album lose to the 10+ great songs on PG, even if PG has a couple duds (a Led Zep dud is essentially a good song that isn't amazing; they have almost no truly bad songs).

3. Houses Of The Holy: This album is very similar to the fourth album in its variety and consistency. It includes elements of funk, reggae, and prog-rock that add to Led Zeppelin's already stellar formula. Plant's vocals on the album are generally more high-pitched than on other Zeppelin albums, which provides a good change of pace. For me, I think the reason HOTH falls behind PG and the fourth album is its lack of a truly legendary song. In my opinion, there are a lot of great songs on HOTH, but none as legendary as, say, Stairway To Heaven or Kashmir. Other than that, this album is amazing. Oh yeah, and I think The Crunge is pretty good and severely underrated.

1. Physical Graffiti: This was during there peak. All of the material on here is very creative. There songs have more depth to them and a bit more experimental. All and all a fantastic album.
    Favorite Tracks: Houses of the Holy, Kashmir and Ten Years Gone

2. Led Zeppelin III: I really like the bit of folk in here. I could see a transition for them dipping there foot in deeper waters. Without this release there would be no Physical Graffiti that's why I appreciate it so much.

Favorite Tracks: Immigrant Song, Friends and Tangerine

3. Led Zeppelin IV: Wow this really blew me away when I first listened to it. Amazing track after amazing track I just couldnt've gotten enough of it at the time. There are really only straight forward rock songs on here with a lot of blues influenced added to a few of them. Not really on the more experimental side which is what I really dig in there catelogue. Regardless, this is just a great album.

Favorite Tracks: Black Dog, The Battle of Evermore and Four Sticks

Edited by Raust

• 2 months later...