Kashmir

tom kid

What do you guys prefer the sound of on Kashmir live? The Les Paul or the Danelectro? Personally I prefer the Danelectro, it seems to have more of a suiting tone for the sound of the song. I also love the Black Mountainside transition they did into Kashmir during '77-'80. Although the 1980 versions of White Summer/Black Mountainside leave A LOT to be desired.l

Les Paul '59 as per the original recording. B)

Played live on the Danelectro is good but, not my preferred version.

Also, when Jimmy played it during the Unledded years that "other" Les Paul guitar was great but, yet again not my preferred arrangement.

But hey ANY Kashmir is better than none at all! ;)

Les Paul '59 as per the original recording. B)

Played live on the Danelectro is good but, not my preferred version.

Also, when Jimmy played it during the Unledded years that "other" Les Paul guitar was great but, yet again not my preferred arrangement.

But hey ANY Kashmir is better than none at all! ;)

Thought I read somewhere Jimmy recorded it with the Danelectro? I think it's a tough decision. I like the heaviest versions of Kashmir from '75 and '77. Two good examples would be New York 2/12/75. You can hear Bonzo count it off, "1,2,3,4!" and BAM! the song erupts. LA 6/21/77, the classic '77 bootleg Listen to This Eddie, the band immediately goes into Kashmir after White Summer/Black Mountain Side. Both fantastic versions imo. But in the end, I would have to pick '77. I think its heavier. Jimmy's '75 tone isn't my favorite (even though '75 is one of my favorite years). I could be wrong but his tone seems more muddy than it did previous tours like '72 or '73.

And I concur, ANY Kashmir IS better than none!

I reckon Page had more tuning issues with the Danelectro...I used to have one years back and it was indeed hard to keep the thing in tune (especially where alternate tunings are concerned) compared to my old Telecaster. :D The April 6/77 WS>BMS>K with that beautiful CADGAD tuning immediately comes to mind...Christ, that version sounded bloody awful (and not just the sound quality of the tape)!

Mind ya, I think the definitive version of "Kashmir" was at the 02 in '07...he used one of his modified Les Pauls for that one...

What did he use in the "It Might Get Loud" movie (outtakes)? That is what sounded the best to me - it was the Les Paul, right?

The song in '77 sounded better, overall, mainly due to Robert being able to really sing it properly.

But the guitar part seems to sound better, to me, using the Les Paul.

I prefer the Danelectro as well. The sound is more of the Middle Eastern to the song. Love the '77 versions with the lead in from WS/BMS. And then...BOOM! I think for the Unledded versions he used the Transperformance.

What did he use in the "It Might Get Loud" movie (outtakes)? That is what sounded the best to me - it was the Les Paul, right?

The song in '77 sounded better, overall, mainly due to Robert being able to really sing it properly.

But the guitar part seems to sound better, to me, using the Les Paul.

That's the Danelectro.

• 1 month later...

The version from Cologne in 1980 is one of the best I've heard. The boot I've got is an sbd/aud matrix. Bonzo's drums are so heavy!

I thought i would take your word for it and listen to that version of kashmir on youtube...wow is all i can say Tom. I am now going to get the whole concert lol

I thought i would take your word for it and listen to that version of kashmir on youtube...wow is all i can say Tom. I am now going to get the whole concert lol

It's quite a good show on the whole. However SIBLY is very sloppy and out of tune, it was hard to sit through that on my first listen!

The version from Cologne is possibly the best version of Kashmir on the tour. And better yet being complete. So many SBD versions from this tour were cut for some reason...in fact most of the versions. Can't explain it. Anyone no why?

The version from Cologne is possibly the best version of Kashmir on the tour. And better yet being complete. So many SBD versions from this tour were cut for some reason...in fact most of the versions. Can't explain it. Anyone no why?

The cuts in the 1980 SBDS usually fall during "Kashmir" and/or TUF, IIRC. Likely due to tape flips, like how NQ, BYAS and OOT are generally cut on the '77 boards.

...Or roughly 45 and 90 minutes into the show, respectively.

Archived