Newer version of 6/21/77 (Listen To This Eddie)

Mattmc1973

Just downloaded this, here are the notes associated with it:

Alternate set of unmarked tapes for this show transferred with Dolby B on as per Mike's notes on the tape labels using an adjustable outboard Dolby B unit. This is the 1st time (May 2010) these tapes have ever been digitized. The sound is completely unaltered except for pitch correction during playback and fades added for each of the tape flips.

As many of you know, Millard would "mark" his tapes that he gave out or traded, by dropping the sound or cutting a song in a certain part, that way if a bootleg came out (which he hated), he would be able to trace it back to who he gave it to. This version is from an unmarked tape.

Alternate set of unmarked tapes for this show transferred with Dolby B on as per Mike's notes on the tape labels using an adjustable outboard Dolby B unit. This is the 1st time (May 2010) these tapes have ever been digitized. The sound is completely unaltered except for pitch correction during playback and fades added for each of the tape flips.

As many of you know, Millard would "mark" his tapes that he gave out or traded, by dropping the sound or cutting a song in a certain part, that way if a bootleg came out (which he hated), he would be able to trace it back to who he gave it to. This version is from an unmarked tape.

Interesting info about Millard. Thanks!

Yeah, all Millard's unmarked recordings were released by JEMS a few months back, nice little collection to have like...

Not really digging these versions actually...they are just straight transfers with no EQ'ing or mastering of any kind. I actually don't think it sounds as crisp as the mastered ones. I just downloaded the Empress Valley "X-Mas Edition", and it's much more boosted, crisp, and punchy.

Not really digging these versions actually...they are just straight transfers with no EQ'ing or mastering of any kind. I actually don't think it sounds as crisp as the mastered ones. I just downloaded the Empress Valley "X-Mas Edition", and it's much more boosted, crisp, and punchy.

Get the Winston Remaster, IMO it's the best version of the show out there.

Get the Winston Remaster, IMO it's the best version of the show out there.

Yes it is, pretty much by general consensus.

Those 'unmarked' Millards that came out were nice enough (where's the unmarked Millard Stones and Pink Floyd shows, I wonder) but I thought they sounded flat IMO. Not a lotta life to 'em, compared to the Winston for the 21st. I've always preferred my old vinyl for the Badgeholders show, so Millard upgrades were kinda a moot point for me for that one.

• 4 years later...

Call me crazy, but I am about Listen to This, Eddie'd out.

What I would really like to hear are some alternate audience sources, if any, for June 21, 1977. I am tired of having to hear those jerks talking on the Mike Millard tape.

Call me crazy, but I am about Listen to This, Eddie'd out.

What I would really like to hear are some alternate audience sources, if any, for June 21, 1977. I am tired of having to hear those jerks talking on the Mike Millard tape.

"Fuck yeah!"

"'Heartbreaker'!!!!"

"We've had the guitar lesson!"

"Bring on Neil Young!!!" (I am convinced Neil, who was a big Zeppelin fan, was actually at this show, since Robert makes a point of saying "Well, Neil?" during "Black Country Woman"...you didn't happen to see ol' Shakey there, eh, Strider?)

And my personal favourite, about ten or so minutes into "No Quarter":

"Somebody just threw it...I don't know where it came from." :lol:

I wonder if these people have any idea that they wound up being immortalized for life on a goddamn bootleg recording?

There is an alternate tape out there but I don't know where to find it

The one Winston used to patch "Ten Years Gone" on his Mike The Mike version, I presume?

Appears you've picked up on the weedwacker uploads of Millard's recordings. They were (are) heavily desirable among more enthusiastic collectors due to the unmarked tapes and pre-tamped (remaster) status. While JEMS may have shared them recently I believe WW shared them several years back.

The unmarked tapes were sourced from the owner of the record shop where Millard purchased his blanks. In exchange for free blanks Millard gave copies of the shows to the owner.

Sources for the other audience tape are known but soliciting is extremely unlikely to be successful. The sound is rather muddy anyway. But I can see the desire, hell I spent months hunting down the alternate audience source for Vienna 1980 (and finally got it I'll note!).

I have four versions of "Listen to This, Eddie". Only the Silver Rarities release doesn't have the cut in "Ten Years Gone" patched with the alternate source. All the others have the gap patched in...granted, the alternate source doesn't sound great. It's echoey and sounds like it was recorded from the Collonade section of the Forum.

But my curiosity leads me to wonder if there are as many sources for 6.21.77 as there are for 9.4.70? Or for the rest of the 1977 Forum run? It seems the brilliance of Mike Millard's tapes has maybe eclipsed and prevented other sources from seeing the light of day.

I think one could confidently assume there are more than 1 source for the other nights. 6/22 has four that are known alone (a non-Millard night of course) and 6/23 has two exceptional sources (including Millard).

Frankly if the brief snippet of the 6/22 source found at the end of SIBLY was released in its entirety, combined with an extra source or two for 6/26 we'd all be set for life.

I thought 6/27 only had one source as well, otherwise the cut in Achilles would have been patched?

Nope, gotta be more than one- the version I have (TDOLZ Sunset) has the cut in between SIBLY and "No Quarter" patched- mainly to complete the Plantation I'd imagine. Perhaps that taper didn't get the complete show, which is too bad- that cut in Achilles is damned jarring!

Nope, gotta be more than one- the version I have (TDOLZ Sunset) has the cut in between SIBLY and "No Quarter" patched- mainly to complete the Plantation I'd imagine. Perhaps that taper didn't get the complete show, which is too bad- that cut in Achilles is damned jarring!

I dare say not as jarring as Bonham's drumming...

Even Plant agreed--"Was that Keith Bonham on the drums?"

my listening diet has been sorely lacking some Zep for awhile now so I'm currently revisiting 6/21. I haven't listened to this show in forever so it's refreshing to hear it again. Strider, about being Eddie'd out, I'd say I'm Badgeholder'd out. It's a great show, for sure, but I think it ran its course with me awhile ago, between the mistakes and mishaps and ALS being played way too fast.

my listening diet has been sorely lacking some Zep for awhile now so I'm currently revisiting 6/21. I haven't listened to this show in forever so it's refreshing to hear it again. Strider, about being Eddie'd out, I'd say I'm Badgeholder'd out. It's a great show, for sure, but I think it ran its course with me awhile ago, between the mistakes and mishaps and ALS being played way too fast.

How sad that 6/23 could be reduced to "mistakes and mishaps". What "fans" expect from concert recordings is interesting and the idea that R&R concerts should be flawless is truly missing the point How many times does it have to be said that these shows weren't meant to be recorded and judged. If viewed in that light, certain considerations are due. In the list of great Zep shows few if any have the personality of 6/23. The experience of enjoying this band kicking ass and having that much fun should transcend the guitar strap, Kashmir, TU, and whatever else one may choose to nitpick. Like what you want. Don't like what you want. Give me a break with finding reasons for a Zeppelin fan to not enjoy this epic document.

Perhaps you missed the point, Badgeholder. I'm not saying you or anyone else shouldn't enjoy it. I used to listen to 6/23 all the time. It used to be my favorite show too. I'm not putting down Zep for what happened, they were just mistakes. I certainly didn't reduce it to anything either. It deserves every bit of praise and then some. It simply just not something I feel like listening to.

How sad that 6/23 could be reduced to "mistakes and mishaps". What "fans" expect from concert recordings is interesting and the idea that R&R concerts should be flawless is truly missing the point How many times does it have to be said that these shows weren't meant to be recorded and judged. If viewed in that light, certain considerations are due. In the list of great Zep shows few if any have the personality of 6/23. The experience of enjoying this band kicking ass and having that much fun should transcend the guitar strap, Kashmir, TU, and whatever else one may choose to nitpick. Like what you want. Don't like what you want. Give me a break with finding reasons for a Zeppelin fan to not enjoy this epic document.

"Fuck yeah!"

"'Heartbreaker'!!!!"

"We've had the guitar lesson!"

"Bring on Neil Young!!!" (I am convinced Neil, who was a big Zeppelin fan, was actually at this show, since Robert makes a point of saying "Well, Neil?" during "Black Country Woman"...you didn't happen to see ol' Shakey there, eh, Strider?)

There was no chance of Neil Young or any celebrities, for that matter, being anywhere near where I was sitting that night, since I was not near the stage.

Fuckin' hell, you ARE an arrogant, condescending prick, aren't ya? Why don't you give US a break with yer fuckin' "Led Zeppelin were/are gods who could do no wrong" fuckin' attitude, buddy? Jesus Christ...

Do you have anything to possibly share with this community besides a shitty fuckin' attitude?

^^^

Thanks for your heartfelt reply. Do you have any thoughts on 6/21 or 6/23 or are you just trolling? Feel free to check out my post history. I've made posts of all sorts. Some were almost funny. Do I need to apologize for being more than one dimensional? For being me? Ain't gonna happen.

If i'm wired different than you, you can accept that, ignore me, or chafe from the friction. That ball is in your court. I crossed a line? Amongst this collective of intolerant know-it-alls? I'm just another voice in the wind. Shit, providing another alternate point of view here is a public service.

Sue wrote "It ran it's course for me between the mistakes and mishaps and ALS being played too fast" (whatever that means). Why is it so hard to own up to what you type. OK, that's her perspective.

And let's not bullshit each other. 6/23 is not just any LZ concert recording. Your emotions about me are clouding your thoughts, and you misunderstood the meaning of what i wrote. 6/23 is not a perfect concert by a perfect band but it is a document of a special moment in the career of a special band. That's hardly an uncommon feeling in the world of Zep bootleg fans. I accept 'mistakes" but don't use them the judge the listening experience. That's my perspective.

Although i do react to what i read in this forum, sometimes con mucho gusto, I don't, like many here, feel the need to control the content or tone of others. That behavior suggest deeper issues and is more fucked up than anything i post.

Perhaps you missed the point, Badgeholder. I'm not saying you or anyone else shouldn't enjoy it. I used to listen to 6/23 all the time. It used to be my favorite show too. I'm not putting down Zep for what happened, they were just mistakes. I certainly didn't reduce it to anything either. It deserves every bit of praise and then some. It simply just not something I feel like listening to.

I think you meant the other guy :peace:

Archived