LZ.Com Halloween - movies that scared you as a kid?

Rock N' Rollin' Man

What blew my young fragile mind around the age of 6 or 7, were the black and white werewolf or wolfman movies. The time elapse transformation from human to animal scared the ever loving shit out of me. Heavy stuff at that age. That sure ain't the Little Joe Cartwright on the Ponderosa.

Lately, not as scary, but trippy, trippy movies I happened across on HBO or Showtime fairly recent, both Stephen King.

The Mist and Thinner. How King comes up with this stuff... I'd like to know.

Well, this might explain a lot:

As the tall, thin man in his mid-40s lay unconscious on the floor of his office, his eyes shut tight and his shirt-front soaked with blood, the silence of the night all around him was broken only by the shrieks of the bats which haunted the rafters of his vast Victorian mansion.

The scene was like something out of a novel by that master of the macabre Stephen King, ironic given that the comatose figure was none other than King himself - dead to the world after drinking countless cans of beer and snorting so much cocaine that his ravaged nose had become a gushing crimson fountain.

As is revealed in a fascinating new biography, he spent most of the Eighties on an extended drug and alcohol binge which so fogged his mind that even today he cannot remember working on many of the books he wrote during that period

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1178151/Stephen-Kings-Real-Horror-Story-How-novelists-addiction-drink-drugs-nearly-killed-him.html#ixzz12PlEzfbx

There's a three part documentary series showing on BBC FOUR at the moment called A History of Horror.

Three-part series in which actor and writer Mark Gatiss (The League of Gentlemen, Doctor Who, Sherlock) celebrates the greatest achievements of horror cinema.

A lifelong fan of the genre, Mark begins by exploring the golden age of Hollywood horror. From the late 1920s until the 1940s, a succession of classic pictures and unforgettable actors defined the horror genre - including The Phantom of the Opera starring Lon Chaney, Dracula with Bela Lugosi, and Frankenstein starring Boris Karloff.

Mark explains just how daring and pioneering these films were, and why they still send a chill down the spine today. He also traces how horror pictures evolved during this period, becoming camp and subversive (The Old Dark House and Bride of Frankenstein, both directed by Englishman James Whale), dark and perverse (films like Freaks, which used disabled performers), before a final flourish with the psychological horror of RKO Pictures' films (Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie), which still influence directors today. However, by the early 1950s the monsters were facing their biggest threat - the rise of science fiction films in the post-war atomic era.

Along the way, Mark steps into some of the great sets from these classic films, hears first-hand accounts from Hollywood horror veterans, discovers Lon Chaney's head in a box and finds out why Bela Lugosi met his match in Golders Green.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v9gy5/A_History_of_Horror_with_Mark_Gatiss_Frankenstein_Goes_to_Hollywood/

The scariest movie I ever saw (in the sense that it lingers in the mind long after viewing) was obviously Jaws. Probably the most impactful movie ever made. Not only did it physically probably affect more people around the world than any other movie before or since but it also changed the way Hollywood released and marketed movies forever and actually had an impact in nature.

Yet Jaws was never a 'horror' film. It was much more than that and in my opinion it betters anything Hitchcock ever did.

Yes Kiwi, Hitchcock is the master of suspense without all the gore of horror movies which I don't really care for. One 'horror' film I saw recently which is made in the style of Hitchcock with no gore or fake CGI is The Orphanage directed by Guillermo Del Toro who also directed Pan's Labyrinth. The film is in Spanish but has English subtitles. It's a very good ghost story and a lot of the suspense scences are a homage to Hitchcock. You should defintley see that one, although I warn you that it is very sad! :(

I saw The Exorcist for the first time last year when my partner got it on DVD, and it was such an anti-climax. I found myself laughing in a lot of the scences that are meant to be frightening! :D

I never really watched horror movies as a kid either, I just wasn't interested in them. The only film that I can think of that scared me when I was younger is Poltergeist. I was also on the edge of my seat watching Jaws for the first time. :unsure:

Oh my god! Jaws is one of the sickest and most disgusting movies out there Magic! The first time I saw it, I kept screaming all the time! That fuckin' movie kept me awake for days!! :angry: I was 6 when my dad was watching it and then the nightmares started! Sheesh! I keep asking myself how in the world people can actually sit and watch that! :wacko: I have always been under the impression that people watched movies for fun, to relax and unwind?! :huh: I do find "The Mummy" quite amusing! That bloke who plays the mummy looks rather comical in my opinion! :lol: And "The Poltergeist" is another movie which freaked me out and still does! "The Exorcist" is ok now that I am an adult, but I ain't crazy about it! :P

"The Exorcist" is ok now that I am an adult, but I ain't crazy about it! :P

That movie freaked me out when it first came out and I was 23 then. I haven't seen it in years and am going to have to watch it again. For comic relief Andy Warhol's 'Dracula' and Frankenstein' are great, yet horrific. B)

The scariest movie I ever saw (in the sense that it lingers in the mind long after viewing) was obviously Jaws. Probably the most impactful movie ever made. Not only did it physically probably affect more people around the world than any other movie before or since but it also changed the way Hollywood released and marketed movies forever and actually had an impact in nature.

Yet Jaws was never a 'horror' film. It was much more than that and in my opinion it betters anything Hitchcock ever did.

I agree, I think everyone who saw it is thinking consciously or subconsciously about sharks when they get in the ocean or are floating on a raft (even in a lake or pool). It's my scariest movie too.

I agree, I think everyone who saw it is thinking consciously or subconsciously about sharks when they get in the ocean or are floating on a raft (even in a lake or pool). It's my scariest movie too.

It's a classic alright . My buds and I saw it openning night in Vancouver and we still laugh about how one friend yelled out loud during that scene where the shark pops it's head out of the water :shifty: . Scared the hell out of the whole theatre :D

Many come to mind:

The Exorcist hands down #1. Saw it when it came to showtime, actually it was called channel z before showtime back in about 1978. It was the first ever pay movie channel in our area.

Others are Poltergeitst, Children of the Corn, Alien, and the movies Faces of Death were just sick beyond my imagination. To the point where I no longer wanted to watch horror movies anymore.

One that was really low budget but it scared the bejesus out of me: The Manitou with Tony Curtis.

I remember going to see Jaws at the movies when it first came out. I had to go with my older brothers and sisters because i was not old enough to get in on my own.

When we got out there were picketers outside of the threatre. I don't know what their cause was. Less violence in movies, animal rights, etc.

Definitely some scary shit.

The Exorcist most definitely !! the comercials, same time[ beyond the door] comercials came out, haunted me for ever couldn't see the movie til I was older. My older brother bought the 45 music to the Exorcist use to scare the crap out of me. Next would be Amityville horror, Carrie,Poltergeitst the clown under the bed. Halloween!! Jaws scared everyone!! Couldn't evan swim in the pool without thinking about it.

I liked the book better than the movie but the movie still turned out pretty good (even though they left a lot of stuff out). I remember everyone in the theatre jumping out of their seats when that head rolled out of the bottom of the boat. Jaws is definitely a classic but better than anything Hitchcock ever did? Can't say I agree with that.

One of the local stations (WCTI TV 12 out of New Bern, to be exact) used to have a show that aired on Saturday nights called Will C.'s Redeye Cinema that was usually nothing but horror movies. As you might imagine, most of them were B grade horror movies but some actually were scary (when they weren't being unintentionally funny). I saw both of these at the theatre but they were the kind of movies that were right at home on Will C.'s Redeye Cinema.

frogs.jpg

boggycreek2.jpg

i do recall just seeing the commercial on tv for the exorcist as a kid and that scaring me quite a bit........so i could not sleep......yeh

"The Exorcist" and "The Omen" movies came out around the same time when I was in high school, if I remember correctly. I saw them both while on dates at the drive in theater. Didn't see much of the movies then, lol. But I remember being really scared by both of them, particularly by that Damien kid in "The Omen". I still associate the name "Damien" with the devil, LOL.

Edited to say: "The Exoricsit" came out in 1973. "The Omen" came out in 1976, I just checked. Maybe the drive-in was showing them both at the same time, I really don't remember. But they were very intense movies at the time. Probably seem tame to people today.

I didn't go to the movies to see The Exorcist when it was new but I did see it when it aired on network television for the first time so I'm sure it was (obviously) very heavily edited. I know a couple of my friends that went to see it at the movies when it was first released, they both slept with their lights on for weeks.

Anyone mentioned this made-for-TV one yet? This was some scary shit. I think most (if not all) of it has been uploaded to YouTube for those that may have never seen it before.

trilogy-of-terror-cover-3.jpg

It - Movie adaptation of Stephen King's novel by the same name. One of the scariest/creepiest movies I saw as a kid. First half only though the rest where the kids are now adult is pretty much crap.

Yeah, excellent movie, and the fact that it was made for TV is incredible. Tim Curry just owned that movie.

pennywise-clown-it.jpg

"The Exorcist" and "The Omen" movies came out around the same time when I was in high school, if I remember correctly. I saw them both while on dates at the drive in theater. Didn't see much of the movies then, lol. But I remember being really scared by both of them, particularly by that Damien kid in "The Omen". I still associate the name "Damien" with the devil, LOL.

Edited to say: "The Exoricsit" came out in 1973. "The Omen" came out in 1976, I just checked. Maybe the drive-in was showing them both at the same time, I really don't remember. But they were very intense movies at the time. Probably seem tame to people today.

I love "The Omen". I have parts I, II and III in DVD form! My mom and I have seen it heaps of times together! It doesn't scare me at all! :D

I didn't go to the movies to see The Exorcist when it was new but I did see it when it aired on network television for the first time so I'm sure it was (obviously) very heavily edited. I know a couple of my friends that went to see it at the movies when it was first released, they both slept with their lights on for weeks.

Anyone mentioned this made-for-TV one yet? This was some scary shit. I think most (if not all) of it has been uploaded to YouTube for those that may have never seen it before.

trilogy-of-terror-cover-3.jpg

KAREN BLACK'S ACTING IN THE T O TERRROR IS SUPERB TO SAY THE LEAST :):)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, excellent movie, and the fact that it was made for TV is incredible. Tim Curry just owned that movie.

pennywise-clown-it.jpg

:run::run:

Yikes guys, consider me scared and creeped out. Ugh. Love Tim Curry but I cannot stand clowns. :(

Donald and the clown back to back was pretty scary :o

And BTW, has anyone mentioned those awful flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz? They still creep me out and used to terrify me when I was little. (Not to mention the Wicked Witch). I'd forgotten about that.

^^^ Off to see the wizard ! May as well have said... we're off to see the neighbourhood nutbar dry.gif .That and A Christmas Carol had to be two of my most hated films ever. Both are just.... SICK !

Archived