Keith Richards Interview

kenog

OK, I know Keef's autobiography is coming out at the end of this month, and this is part of the pre-publication drive, but I love the guy - he's class.

Source:- www.newsoftheworld.co.uk

Keef: I carried gun to score heroin

Stones wildman's shock admission

richards_516_187445a.jpg</IMG> ARMED: Keith had a Luger By Sofia Zagzoule, 10/10/2010

HELL-RAISING Rolling Stone Keith Richards has revealed that he carried guns for protection when he went to buy drugs at the height of his addiction.

The ageing rocker started packing a German Luger before moving on to rifles because they had a "longer range", saving him having to run after dealers who robbed him.

But his favourite "piece" was a Smith and Wesson which has no safety catch.

And even today the reformed Street Fighting Man admits to always carrying a four-inch knife tucked in his belt to deal with muggers.

"You make a cut across the forehead - doesn't hurt," he says in an interview to publicise his explosive new autobiography. "All the blood comes down, and then you kick the f****r in the balls. It's a very efficient way of dealing with problems."

Keith, 66, also tells of his drug-fuelled road trip across England with John Lennon, reveals how he tried and failed to talk junkie Pete Doherty out of his addiction and admits that he DID snort his father's ashes.

The guitarist - who quit drugs after falling out of a coconut tree four years ago - says he took no chances when buying heroin on US streets where everyone has the right to carry a gun. "The first one I bought was a Luger I picked up in the East Village in New York City," he says.

"After that I went into rifles for a bit just because they go further.

"I've carried a piece or two now and again - most of that was to do with the heroin business and being involved in, like, scoring. Especially in America, it bodes you well to be armed.

"A .38 Smith and Wesson Airweight revolver - that is the f****** gun. No safety on it."

keithrichardsem_21__188242a.jpg SON OF A GUN: Keith said he and John Lennon shared some high times

Now he's calmed down a bit, Keith has settled for a ratchet knife tucked into the waistband of his trousers.

"I've always carried one," he says. "I learned how to use it in Jamaica."

Keith has spent three years writing his memoirs, called Life, after signing a £3.6million deal. They will be published at the end of the month.

The Stone recalls a huge secret bender with late Beatle John Lennon. "Me and John went on a three-day road trip across England," he says.

"What happened neither John nor I could ever remember. We must have been on something exceptional. There was one young lady with us at least, and a chauffeur because we were in no driving condition. And we were just playing sounds.

"We were in my Bentley. I said, 'I'm not going on a trip with you in that goddam psychedelic Rolls Royce. Let's go more discreetly in my little blue Bentley'."

Richards admits being so off his head on pure cocaine that he once fell asleep on stage during a Stones concert. "I used to like pure, pure cocaine - a very smooth thing and nothing to do with the street s*** other people take," Keith, told upmarket fashion mag AnOtherMan.

"I fell asleep on stage in the middle of playing Fool To Cry. It is a very boring song and I was pretty out of it. I was on one of those volume pedals and I just stayed on it - but it got so loud that I had to wake up."

richards_3_280_187468a.jpg ALL OVER NOW: Keith in drug days

Keith has been off cocaine after suffering a blood clot in his brain during his tree fall in Fiji four years ago.

But it was only one of many freak accidents he says he has suffered. In 1998 he broke three ribs and punctured a lung after falling off a ladder reaching for a book in his library.

"It was a Leonardo Da Vinci book on anatomy and it hit me and knocked me off the ladder," he says. "I found out all about anatomy from that without even opening a page."

Learning from his own drug-addled life, Keith says he has even tried to talk to Libertines rocker Pete Doherty about curbing his drug use.

"Amy Winehouse and Pete take drugs for the same reasons we did," he says. "All I'd say is take your drugs in your spare time, if that's what you want to do, but don't mix it up.

"I've had a word with Pete about this but it don't make any difference. If you mix it up you're just gonna fall like a million others. I've seen too many friends gone that way."

Also gone is his father Bert's ashes - but not all of them up the rocker's nose. Keith was quoted in 2007 saying he had snorted them, then later denied it.

But in a final word on the notorious incident he admits: "I opened my dad's ashes, and some of them blew out over the table. I looked at them and what do I do? Do I desecrate them with a dustbin and broom?

"So I wet me finger and I shoved a bit of me dad up me f****** 'ooter. I'm sure he's still blessing me. The rest I put round an oak tree."

Keith also has a dig at Stones frontman Mick Jagger - blasting his solo efforts away from the band. He says: "Mick did his best and flapped about like a chicken, but his stuff disconnects when he goes off by himself."

Insiders say Keith was asked to tone down the book after an early draft was too close to the bone.

I was going to announce this in The Rolling Stones thread but this one will do:

Keith Richards Appearing at New York Public Library

The Rolling Stones guitarist will speak Oct. 29 at the Celeste Bartos auditorium at the library's main branch on 5th Avenue as part of the promotion for his memoir "Life."

All tickets are $25 ($15 if you are a Friend of the library), and can only be purchased by going to www.showclix.com.

Tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis through that website, and seating is unassigned. All LIVE events begin at 7, with doors opening at 6:30 and usually last around around 1-2 hours with an additional twenty minutes for Q & A. Almost all the events have a book signing directly following them, unless otherwise noted.

Additional link:

www.nypl.org

I was going to announce this in The Rolling Stones thread but this one will do:

Keith Richards Appearing at New York Public Library

The Rolling Stones guitarist will speak Oct. 29 at the Celeste Bartos auditorium at the library's main branch on 5th Avenue as part of the promotion for his memoir "Life."

All tickets are $25 ($15 if you are a Friend of the library), and can only be purchased by going to www.showclix.com.

Tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis through that website, and seating is unassigned. All LIVE events begin at 7, with doors opening at 6:30 and usually last around around 1-2 hours with an additional twenty minutes for Q & A. Almost all the events have a book signing directly following them, unless otherwise noted.

Additional link:

www.nypl.org

SAJ,

Will you be attending?

OK, I know Keef's autobiography is coming out at the end of this month, and this is part of the pre-publication drive, but I love the guy - he's class.

richards_516_187445a.jpg</IMG> ARMED: Keith had a Luger By Sofia Zagzoule, 10/10/2010

HELL-RAISING Rolling Stone Keith Richards has revealed that he carried guns for protection when he went to buy drugs at the height of his addiction.

The ageing rocker started packing a German Luger before moving on to rifles because they had a "longer range", saving him having to run after dealers who robbed him.

And even today the reformed Street Fighting Man admits to always carrying a four-inch knife tucked in his belt to deal with muggers.

"You make a cut across the forehead - doesn't hurt," he says in an interview to publicise his explosive new autobiography. "All the blood comes down, and then you kick the f****r in the balls. It's a very efficient way of dealing with problems."

Keith, 66, also tells of his drug-fuelled road trip across England with John Lennon, reveals how he tried and failed to talk junkie Pete Doherty out of his addiction and admits that he DID snort his father's ashes.

The guitarist - who quit drugs after falling out of a coconut tree four years ago - says he took no chances when buying heroin on US streets where everyone has the right to carry a gun. "The first one I bought was a Luger I picked up in the East Village in New York City," he says.

"I've carried a piece or two now and again - most of that was to do with the heroin business and being involved in, like, scoring. Especially in America, it bodes you well to be armed.

"A .38 Smith and Wesson Airweight revolver - that is the f****** gun. No safety on it."

keithrichardsem_21__188242a.jpg SON OF A GUN: Keith said he and John Lennon shared some high times

Now he's calmed down a bit, Keith has settled for a ratchet knife tucked into the waistband of his trousers.

Old, old News. Would have thought Keef would have gone for an inteview with a more highbrow newspaper than the guttershite News of the World.

And good for him, too!

I ordered the book the first day it was announced, and it sounds well worth the money. And he's right, Fool to Cry IS a very boring song.

Of course this is old news. It's an autobiography, he's already lived it, most of it in the public eye. Doesn't mean everybody's kept up with his every move, though. And I don't think Keith gives much of a damn about highbrow or lowbrow.

And good for him, too!

I ordered the book the first day it was announced, and it sounds well worth the money. And he's right, Fool to Cry IS a very boring song.

Of course this is old news. It's an autobiography, he's already lived it, most of it in the public eye. Doesn't mean everybody's kept up with his every move, though. And I don't think Keith gives much of a damn about highbrow or lowbrow.

Great reply Aquamarine. When I post resources on this site, I don't care whether they are from a tabloid or a broadsheet. :wave:

However, I note that Johnthomasmoby gives his location as Liverpool-ish :thumbsup: . Liverpudlians and those close by remember the role of the News of the World's sister paper 'The Sun' in the aftermath of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster. I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I am putting a link here for anyone who wants an explanation of what happened. http://en.wikipedia....orough_disaster

Keith has spent three years writing his memoirs, called Life, after signing a £3.6million deal. They will be published at the end of the month.

The Stone recalls a huge secret bender with late Beatle John Lennon. "Me and John went on a three-day road trip across England," he says.

"What happened neither John nor I could ever remember. We must have been on something exceptional. There was one young lady with us at least, and a chauffeur because we were in no driving condition. And we were just playing sounds.

"We were in my Bentley. I said, 'I'm not going on a trip with you in that goddam psychedelic Rolls Royce. Let's go more discreetly in my little blue Bentley'."

Richards admits being so off his head on pure cocaine that he once fell asleep on stage during a Stones concert. "I used to like pure, pure cocaine - a very smooth thing and nothing to do with the street s*** other people take," Keith, told upmarket fashion mag AnOtherMan.

"I fell asleep on stage in the middle of playing Fool To Cry. It is a very boring song and I was pretty out of it. I was on one of those volume pedals and I just stayed on it - but it got so loud that I had to wake up."

richards_3_280_187468a.jpg ALL OVER NOW: Keith in drug days

Keith has been off cocaine after suffering a blood clot in his brain during his tree fall in Fiji four years ago.

But it was only one of many freak accidents he says he has suffered. In 1998 he broke three ribs and punctured a lung after falling off a ladder reaching for a book in his library.

"It was a Leonardo Da Vinci book on anatomy and it hit me and knocked me off the ladder," he says. "I found out all about anatomy from that without even opening a page."

Learning from his own drug-addled life, Keith says he has even tried to talk to Libertines rocker Pete Doherty about curbing his drug use.

"Amy Winehouse and Pete take drugs for the same reasons we did," he says. "All I'd say is take your drugs in your spare time, if that's what you want to do, but don't mix it up.

"I've had a word with Pete about this but it don't make any difference. If you mix it up you're just gonna fall like a million others. I've seen too many friends gone that way."

Also gone is his father Bert's ashes - but not all of them up the rocker's nose. Keith was quoted in 2007 saying he had snorted them, then later denied it.

But in a final word on the notorious incident he admits: "I opened my dad's ashes, and some of them blew out over the table. I looked at them and what do I do? Do I desecrate them with a dustbin and broom?

"So I wet me finger and I shoved a bit of me dad up me f****** 'ooter. I'm sure he's still blessing me. The rest I put round an oak tree."

Keith also has a dig at Stones frontman Mick Jagger - blasting his solo efforts away from the band. He says: "Mick did his best and flapped about like a chicken, but his stuff disconnects when he goes off by himself."

Insiders say Keith was asked to tone down the book after an early draft was too close to the bone.

"Too close to the bone" or was it too far from the truth?

"His favourite "piece" was a Smith and Wesson"? Hell, he should have gotten a Colt Peacemaker, it's more old school and those things are the "Les Pauls" of guns, dig? You really are slipping Keith.

And if you're going to get into rifles get one of those old Winchesters (the "Teles" of rifles).....again, old school like true rock 'n' roll. We still have the one my dad's dad's dad had from the 1800's.

And I bet Keith can stretch the truth farther than any gun can shoot, anyway.

This reminds me of that old joke about the guy who brushes his teeth with gun powder and then shoots his mouth off all day.

Archived