Studio Goofs

SuperDave

Found this article today. Quite interesting as it has numerous studio goofs of many artists during their studio recording sessions that were left on the final product. That includes Led Zeppelin. One of these is "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". It explains what happened and they just decided to leave it in. Just sounds like a pre echo with Robert singing (at least it sounds like) "I can hear it calling me," just before he sings it regularly.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/bloopers-1012/

Does anyone have any more information? There are probably other studio imperfections over the years that the band decided to leave in as well. I'm sure some of you know of these so feel free. Provide details if you can. Thanks!

Found this article today. Quite interesting as it has numerous studio goofs of many artists during their studio recording sessions that were left on the final product. That includes Led Zeppelin. One of these is "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". It explains what happened and they just decided to leave it in. Just sounds like a pre echo with Robert singing (at least it sounds like) "I can hear it calling me," just before he sings it regularly.

http://www.gibson.co.../bloopers-1012/

Does anyone have any more information? There are probably other studio imperfections over the years that the band decided to leave in as well. I'm sure some of you know of these so feel free. Provide details if you can. Thanks!

Bonzo's squeaky foot pedal on SIBLY.

there's a few bu some are hard to hear and may need headphones

jonesy keyboards goes a bit wrong on misty mountain hop

you can hear jimmy's guitar lead being pulled out noisily after the solo in 10 years gone

squeaky bass drum pedal on several songs though SIBLY is the most noticeable culprit

as far as Babe im gonna leave you and WLL go, the vocals in the background are earlier recorded versions of the songs, you re use the same tape so there is a ghost of the previous recording. You play a little faster, you play a little slower so bits end up in different places so the end up on the master track, no big deal, with Zeps experimenting on recording and especially live, this only adds to the quality of Zeppelins production and sound

A technical studio goof occurs on In My Time Of Dying when Bonzo's drums first come in. Listen carefully and you'll note that they overload and slightly distort - i.e. go "in the red". The second time they come in, the engineer, Ron Nevison, has brought down the faders and the drums sound fine. Nevison seems to have been caught off-guard by the power of Bonzo. Surprising it didn't happen more often, eh?

I'm probably off base, but around minute 2:42- 2:45 during Down By The Seaside,there is ONE note in Jimmy's solo I've always wondered about. Planned or maybe a fret higher than intended?

Bonzo's squeaky foot pedal on SIBLY.

That same squeaky foot pedal can also be heard in Houses of the Holy.

I can understand it in one song, but that pedal could of used a little WD40 to take care of that squeak for future recordings.

Guess it gives us all something to really listen for and talk about.

That same squeaky foot pedal can also be heard in Houses of the Holy.

I can understand it in one song, but that pedal could of used a little WD40 to take care of that squeak for future recordings.

Guess it gives us all something to really listen for and talk about.

It may not have been the same pedal but anything mechanical is prone to break down and few would've put them through the workout or stress that Bonzo did.

as far as Babe im gonna leave you and WLL go, the vocals in the background are earlier recorded versions of the songs, you re use the same tape so there is a ghost of the previous recording. You play a little faster, you play a little slower so bits end up in different places so the end up on the master track, no big deal, with Zeps experimenting on recording and especially live, this only adds to the quality of Zeppelins production and sound

I took another listen of "Babe" and that ghost of the recording sounds like something I've heard. I pulled out my recording of "Olympic Gold" from 1968 and it's certainly one of the alternate versions of "Babe" from that bootleg. Anyone else notice the similarity of the recordings?

http://www.gibson.co.../bloopers-1012/

I believe that wasn't a goof but done on purpose. As the lyric says....

One thing I noticed after the tracks were remastered; After Robert sings the first lyric to THE RAIN SONG, you can hear him say "ok ?" very quietly to the Eddie Kramer, Jimmy Page or both.

"A technical studio goof occurs on In My Time Of Dying when Bonzo's drums first come in. Listen carefully and you'll note that they overload and slightly distort - i.e. go "in the red". The second time they come in, the engineer, Ron Nevison, has brought down the faders and the drums sound fine. Nevison seems to have been caught off-guard by the power of Bonzo. Surprising it didn't happen more often, eh?"

I've always thought that was intentional, but I could be wrong. I remember Page being interviewed prior to the relesase of Graffiti and he said the album would "hit people in the groin more". That particular spot on the recording cetrtainly does just that! :D

I've always thought that was intentional, but I could be wrong. I remember Page being interviewed prior to the relesase of Graffiti and he said the album would "hit people in the groin more". That particular spot on the recording cetrtainly does just that! :D

PG certainly has a lot of balls to say the least!

There is a phone ringing in the back ground about 1:38 into " The Ocean"

I am still not sure if that's what it is, but I have always wondered how they didn't catch that. I heard it the first time I ever listened to the song.

I am still not sure if that's what it is, but I have always wondered how they didn't catch that. I heard it the first time I ever listened to the song.

I think it's possible that the telephone ring and the squeaky pedal etc weren't really an issue at the time, if it "was a good take".

With the introduction of the CD and the re-mastering process, these little issues that weren't issues in the 70's, suddenly became issues in the 90's!

I love that telephone ring - reminds me that the rhythm tracks were recorded in a house... :D

Archived