Zeppelin Songwriting

seanx

I'm starting this topic over great frustration as a songwriter.

Over the years (and believe me I've looked) I can't seem to find a book, article, etc where any of them will expound on their songwriting techniques.

We always hear: how did you make this video? or tell us about stairway? how did you get this sound? what was it like on stage?

But we never hear much on:

How do you approach music when writing? What was your goal(s)? Why?

How did you WRITE this song AND was it easy? Explain the challenges and how you figured it out. Why did you chose these lyrics? How do you write your lyrics? Whats your technique(s)?

Page/Jones: How do you write riffs? What sort of philosophy do you have with tension and release? Is there a common goal with every song in structure? What do you use as a guide if its a good song? Do you classify certain progressions (or changes) for certain uses? How do you throw existing riffs together into a song? When you jam, how do you organize jamming into a song? (Don't say if it 'feels right'...you obviously know what you're doing...wrong or right, what philosophy guided you to make it generally 'feel right' over others.

etc

etc.

They never get into that in articles!!!!

Jones gets close sometimes, but then the articles shift to something stupid that they've discussed 100 times over the years.

I would love a documentary of all of them in one room over several sessions and write a definitive DVD on their songwriting approach from their perspective. Not another DVD that says, 'Zeppelin is great...and THIS is why.' We know why! lol

I bought and returned one of the recent DVDs they have out there where its a journalists collection of all the 'quotes' over the years on what makes zeppelin. Useless garbage that I already have...

I mean come on Jimmy, you had a plan when you began! Tell us budding musicians about it! Does it have to be kept as a 'trade secret' to your grave?! You ALL have a lot of wisdom to offer from your own band and watching other bands success thru the years.

(If anyone knows of any material already out there that I've just missed...please let me know. Thanks.)

I suspect with Zeppelin the songs just pretty much happened as a natural result of them playing and jamming together. A lot of their songs were re-worked blues tunes they all likely would've been previously familiar with and could each add their own distinct something to and wa-la -- a song. If you look at the extremely short period of time in which they released the bulk of their work (the first 4 albums in around 2 years) I dont think writing songs was a very arduous or tedious process for them and Im willing to bet its not something they would be able to rationally explain.

After listening to Led Zeppelin for a whole lot of years, I never really thought they had a technique or any kind of Philosophy to them, they just wrote about things that were going on in there lives and around them, not all of there songs are like this, but I think most of them are. If you really want to know what I mean listen to these songs and it will explain it a lot better:

Ramble On- There discovery of The Hobbit

Thank You- Roberts song to his wife, being away from her, missing her.

All of My Love- Dedicated to Roberts son.

Kashmir- You don't even have to know where Kashmir is or what it is, you know by listening to this song what it is.

So you see, theres 4 different songs that are about 4 different things. If you try and go by a pattern writing songs, I think it will take a hell of a long time to do it, if you go by what you feel of something that is going on around you, you will have a lot better results.

Good Luck!

I'm starting this topic over great frustration as a songwriter.

Over the years (and believe me I've looked) I can't seem to find a book, article, etc where any of them will expound on their songwriting techniques.

We always hear: how did you make this video? or tell us about stairway? how did you get this sound? what was it like on stage?

But we never hear much on:

How do you approach music when writing? What was your goal(s)? Why?

How did you WRITE this song AND was it easy? Explain the challenges and how you figured it out. Why did you chose these lyrics? How do you write your lyrics? Whats your technique(s)?

Page/Jones: How do you write riffs? What sort of philosophy do you have with tension and release? Is there a common goal with every song in structure? What do you use as a guide if its a good song? Do you classify certain progressions (or changes) for certain uses? How do you throw existing riffs together into a song? When you jam, how do you organize jamming into a song? (Don't say if it 'feels right'...you obviously know what you're doing...wrong or right, what philosophy guided you to make it generally 'feel right' over others.

etc

etc.

They never get into that in articles!!!!

Jones gets close sometimes, but then the articles shift to something stupid that they've discussed 100 times over the years.

I would love a documentary of all of them in one room over several sessions and write a definitive DVD on their songwriting approach from their perspective. Not another DVD that says, 'Zeppelin is great...and THIS is why.' We know why! lol

I bought and returned one of the recent DVDs they have out there where its a journalists collection of all the 'quotes' over the years on what makes zeppelin. Useless garbage that I already have...

I mean come on Jimmy, you had a plan when you began! Tell us budding musicians about it! Does it have to be kept as a 'trade secret' to your grave?! You ALL have a lot of wisdom to offer from your own band and watching other bands success thru the years.

(If anyone knows of any material already out there that I've just missed...please let me know. Thanks.)

whoa..if you are trying to go about it that way no wonder you are frustrated!...I get the feeling that Jimmy just came up with riffs while jamming and they evolved into songs, or parts of songs. Musically probably the only thought you have to put into it beyond that is what chords do those riffs imply for the chorus, bridge etc...

if you set out to write a song that sounds a certain way, you may succeed but it will be stale and sound manufactured...better to let your own playing inspire you and never, ever throw anything away

Archived