Zep 12" DJ remixes

Just a throwing this out to the Zep commmunity...

Does anyone know anything about the 12" DJ remixes of Zep tracks such as Immigrant Song? Are they legit? Probably not, methinks.

Or, more importantly, are they any good? My curiosity is niggling at me, though deep down I sense that, like 95% of boom-boom music, it's probably complete twaddle.

Yo - everyone in da house go craaaazzzzeeeee! Boom boom boom boom etc 150bpm - whatevah would Bonzo think?!

Cheers

TK

As far as I know, none of them are legit. However, there have been various remixes of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" which have been released on official CDs by Paul Oakenfold and Phil K. But I think those remixes actually feature a Robert-Plant-soundalike on vocals!

Only legit remixes I know of are from Plant's solo career. Mighty ReArranger album has one as hidden track (shine it all around) and I think the album was later rematered and released with a few aditional remixes (tin pan valley and the enchanter). My fiancee loves them.

Lamest thread possible. Zeppelin didn't write songs like 'walk this way' that even open up to that kind of crap.

Perhaps not but Bonham's sampled just as much as James Brown and Aerosmith when it comes to rap records. Hell, when rap was new I even heard a Mellencamp riff lifted for a rap single. Goes to show, no one "opens themselves up" to this sort of thing, it's whatever fits the sound of the record.

When Jimmy was in The Firm, they released an extended remix of "Radioactive". I actually like this better than the album version. Lots of extra guitar.

Ah, the age of remixes. I was particularly taken by it too and proceeded to track down the 12". It took me a few years but I finally stumbled upon a copy at The Sound Shop (a small chain based out of Nashville, TN) in Kinston, NC.

firmgerrad12.jpg

Wow, those remixes are quite - how does one put this? - interesting. The Dirty Funker ones seem the most successful, but I know nada about dance music.

(quaffs a hefty dose of MDMA)

(30 minutes later...)

Jaysus these are some BANGING tunes mate!

Buzz buzz buzz Bonzorama it's frakking bee-youuu-taah-fuuull!

Everybody in da house go CRAH-AH-AH-AAY-ZEEEY!!!

Zeppity-doooo-daaahhhh! Buzz buzz buzz...

(cue rampant paradoxical relaxation in my jaw)

:P

But Mr Jones, bringing in The Far Corporation was a step too far. I mean, really! Tut tut. :P

I wouldn't consider that a remix but an actual cover since, at least to my knowledge, it doesn't use any elements from the actual original recording of the song (more on Far Corporation below). Speaking of which, I have a copy of it on cassette somewhere that I probably only listened to once. It has to be right up there with the great atrocities of rock including Will To Powers "Show Me the Way/Freebird Medley" and Big Mountain's massacre of "Baby, I Love Your Way".

From AllMusic.com:

The brainchild of producer Frank Farian, Far Corporation was an assembly of German session musicians and several better-known rockers, including members of Toto. Having most notably been the producer for Boney M. in the late '70s and early '80s (and later Milli Vanilli), Farian brought together musicians he had utilized in the studio and christened them Frank Farian Corporation, which was truncated to Far Corporation for the act's recorded output. Added to the mix were guitarist Steve Lukather, keyboardist David Paich, and singer Bobby Kimball (all of Toto fame); drummer Simon Phillips (Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend); and vocalist Robin McAuley. The quasi-supergroup's debut, Division One, was released in the spring of 1986 and consisted primarily of outside material, including a cover of Free's "Fire And Water." However, it was Far Corporation's interpretation of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" that garnered a modicum of interest for the act. The song earned Far Corporation some posterity as the answer to a trivia question when the song scraped into the bottom of the U.S. singles chart and, briefly, entered the U.K. Top Ten, making it the durable epic's first chart appearance (Led Zeppelin had never released their version commercially). The conglomerate wouldn't surface again for nearly a decade and, when it did with Solitude in 1994, it was to little interest of anyone aside from the most ardent fans of Toto's talented players.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the age of remixes. I was particularly taken by it too and proceeded to track down the 12". It took me a few years but I finally stumbled upon a copy at The Sound Shop (a small chain based out of Nashville, TN) in Kinston, NC.

firmgerrad12.jpg

I happen to have this too. Bought it when it was released back in 1985. It's a good one along with the live tunes from the Hammersmith Odeon, back in December of 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in LA a few months ago, and while standing outside a guitar shop I heard a remixed Zeppelin song. As far as I can tell (It was hard to hear it clearly) It was "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine, mixed with Black Dog. Has anyone else heard this?

• 2 years later...

Archived