Red Hot Chili Peppers Claim Anthem Ripped Off

kenog

Sun Newspaper 16 October 2010

DIANA VICKERS is in hot water over her new single My Wicked Heart. The singer is facing legal action from the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, who claim she ripped off their anthem Under The Bridge.

Bigwigs in the US rockers' publishing camp Warner/Chappell Music are angry her chorus bares a startling resemblance to their 1992 smash hit about heroin addiction.

And after a listen, I reckon the Chilis have a point.

Sony signing Diana is performing the track on the X Factor results show tomorrow and chiefs at Warner/Chappell want the matter cleared up quickly.

The legal wrangle was pretty much inevitable.

Diana confessed in a recent interview she'd been listening to Under The Bridge the day before writing the chorus for her own song. She said "Sod it," when asked about the similarities.

She added: "Yeah, that happened without even knowing.

"We wrote the song in an hour. We had the song and it didn't have the My Wicked Heart bit in it and then we put the vocal in and we were like, 'Why does it sound so familiar?'

"Then we realised it was because we were listening to Under The Bridge the day before. We were saying, 'Should we change it? Should we not? What should we do? Sod it, no, we're just gonna keep it, it works'."

Now it's all getting a bit messy.

Legal action has been sanctioned by ANTHONY KIEDIS and his bandmates because she never asked permission. A source said: "She has done herself no favours by revealing she listened to the track while writing My Wicked Heart."

A Warner/Chappell spokesperson refused to comment.

Diana will be re-enacting her new video on tomorrow's X Factor, dressing as a circus ringmaster and a clown.

She might be feeling like that again when the lawyers' bills come in.

http://www.thesun.co...om-Peppers.html

Archived