Stainless Steel

OddBall

Just showed Jason this photo. Not his dad's kit.

Well, if you're going to bring Jason into this, perhaps you could ask him straight out if his dad ever used those Staccato drums with Zeppelin? That'd be an interesting question to get his take on. :)

Such as what, specifically? And what are your sources? Mine are Mick Hinton, Jeff Ocheltree and the Bonham family.

Nice bit of name dropping there. One of them is dead, one of them is unreliable and I am, infact, rather smart when it comes to Rogers hardware and can tell a Supreme from a Swivo :D

Oh and the Ludwig Thermogloss - 26" x 16" bass drums.

Since you and Ocheltree are good buddies could you pass on a question? He claims he attended Zep recording sessions, yes? If he came on board in 1977 as a tech, I find it unlikely he would have been invited to fly out to Sweden the following year to see ITTOD take shape? I mean, I could be wrong of course...

Anyway, see what he says mate. Thanks. ;)

Well, if you're going to bring Jason into this, perhaps you could ask him straight out if his dad ever used those Staccato drums with Zeppelin? That'd be an interesting question to get his take on. :)

Huw! How are ya!?

I know we wanted to believe that pic is Bonzo's stuff, and we both know it was "investigated" a couple of years back.. B)

So Jason said "That's not dads kit". That COULD mean, dad didn't actually OWN the kit(s) in the picture. He didn't say "Dad didn't use those drums in the studio"!!

I can't believe that isn't John Bonhams set up right there. Who else used a Ludwig 26" bass drum with a 15" rack tom and a gargantuan Ride cymbal? Was Appice or Powell or Paice in town? Something just doesn't add up here....

I want to believe! :D

Huw! How are ya!?

I know we wanted to believe that pic is Bonzo's stuff, and we both know it was "investigated" a couple of years back.. B)

So Jason said "That's not dads kit". That COULD mean, dad didn't actually OWN the kit(s) in the picture. He didn't say "Dad didn't use those drums in the studio"!!

I can't believe that isn't John Bonhams set up right there. Who else used a Ludwig 26" bass drum with a 15" rack tom and a gargantuan Ride cymbal? Was Appice or Powell or Paice in town? Something just doesn't add up here....

I want to believe! :D

Hi Bonzoghost - yup, it's been discussed a lot, my little scan, hasn't it? :) As you can see I'm still even using it as my avatar too.

However, even though it was my "find" in the first place I've got no real axe to grind about it: there seemed to be a compelling amount of circumstantial eveidence to support the theory that those could be JB's kits, but I won't suggest that we ignore Jason - if he says that isn't his dad's kit I think we need to take notice. However I would like a bit more than the little snippet that Sam threw us. For instance, did Jason actually visit the studio while they were recording? I was under the impression that there were no families along on the trip, but I'll happily be corrected - we all just want to learn afterall :)

But as I said before, the more interesting thing that we might be able to get into here, assuming that Sam is willing to ask Jason more questions & Jason will play ball, is the whole thing about those Staccato drums. I mean, whether or not that Polar Studios brochure is JB's kit, we know that he played Ludwigs in that configuration. The whole rumour about the Stacattos is a step into the unknown, and if Jason would shed any light on the subject (did Bonzo own them? Did he ever use them with Zeppelin? Are they on a released album?) then that's all good stuff. Personally I think the answer to all those questions is "no", but I'm more interested in facts than being right. If Jason said Bonzo used them we could all rest easy, and put the speculating to an end.

(And I'm quite aware that Jason probably doesn't give a hoot about this stuff, and probably thinks we're geeks to even be discussing these things...)

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I think John used his SS kit for ITTOD. The green sparkle was on stand by in case he didn't like the recorded sound of the SS kit. There's a pair of timbales overdubbed as a fill before the guitar solo on Fool In the Rain. English studio drummer Dave Mattacks let John play his 4 piece Gretsch be bop kit with an 18" Bass Drum and old K Zildjians. Dave said when John played his kit, it sounded just like a Zeppelin record! In conclusion, no matter which kit he used for ITTOD. Bonzo had the technical ability to make it sound huge! Irregardless of shell material, sizes, tuning, drumheads etc., 

Archived