Zeppelin's post Chemistry live

McSeven

Why do you think that 02 was such a success, than Atlantic 40th and Live Aid, When they were more closer to a functional band less than 10 yrs from a their 1980 breakup?

Is it hard to accept that even though they created great music live and in studio. They just could not get it together until 02. Or is that Even Zep have to practice and can't just jam on the spot. Even if we put them in the same room in a day or week.

Mc7

The preparations for the O2 was months long, if memory serves me the rumors of the rehearsals started late spring of '07. They put considerable effort into it, certainly more than either of two prior performances you mentioned. That said as well as it went IMO the O2 performance, as sentimental is it is, was pretty tame compared to the band in their prime.

The preparations for the O2 was months long, if memory serves me the rumors of the rehearsals started late spring of '07. They put considerable effort into it, certainly more than either of two prior performances you mentioned. That said as well as it went IMO the O2 performance, as sentimental is it is, was pretty tame compared to the band in their prime.

I agree with your statement. Also, for those other "one off" performances they were following other acts and had to wait around until it was their time to play, no real soundcheck, etc. Tough circumstances for a quick reunion with guys who haven't played together much in the last 5 - 8 years or so. Not making excuses, but as danelectro said - they prepared for months for that one night at the O2.

Why do you think that 02 was such a success, than Atlantic 40th and Live Aid, When they were more closer to a functional band less than 10 yrs from a their 1980 breakup?

It was such a success because it's the first full concert they've played since calling it a day back in 1980.

Is it hard to accept that even though they created great music live and in studio. They just could not get it together until 02. Or is that Even Zep have to practice and can't just jam on the spot. Even if we put them in the same room in a day or week.

Led Zeppelin didn't exist between 1980 and the 02 other than Live and the Atlantic Records anniversary so there was no real need to "get it together" as a band that was for all intents and purposes, defunct.

Live Aid was a complete mess for a number of reasons. Plant's voice was shot from his solo tour, jimmy's guitar was horribly out of tune (its painful to listen to), and phil collins completely butchered the songs with his drumming. They never should have let phil collins play with them, that was a selfish act on phil's part wanting to be part of the historic led zep reunion and for being the only person to play at both usa and london live aid shows.

The atlantic records reunion in '88 was the one they went on much later than scheduled, maybe 2 or 3 hours later, i think they went on at like 1am or something ridiculous like that, jimmy was pissed. And his guitar was out of tune for that too. I never had a big problem with the atlantic reunion, it wasnt great but i dont think it was a disaster like some people say. Live Aid was a disaster, i cant even watch it, but the atlantic reunion is at least watchable.

Mc7

They never intended to "get it together" prior to or after Live Aid, they only played for charity or other "special events" like Atlantic's 40th and O2.

Anyone who thinks that they or any band including Led Zeppelin doesn't need rehearsal prior to performing, be it a one off gig or extensive tour is kidding themselves and setting themselves up for failure.

Live Aid is a case in point, however, as sloppy as it was I'm glad I got to listen and watch (I stayed up all night) a bad performance than no performance at all.

As for jamming on the spot, they perfected it in a couple of ways, during medleys or songs like D & C etc.

I have never heard of anyone rehearsing a jam because if you did it no longer remains a jam but becomes an arrangement.

Can I just add yet again that Live Aid was primarily a fund raiser for African relief efforts, and Phil Collins appearing at both events was to get as much publicity for the event, and thus raise as much money, as possible. Zeppelin's appearance was part of this fund-raising effort, not the other way around (and certainly not the sole focus of it), and nobody forced them to let Collins play with them.

I don't know if it was tame. I thought that Page and Plant No Quarter was tame. Of course they are not going to do a 40 minute Dazed and Confused. I thought that For Your life and IMTOD were pretty rocking. I think certian songs don't suite Robert now. We all know that if he incorporates Zeppelin into his solo set. We are not getting IMTOD/DC/HMMT. We are going to get. MMH/RR/TY/OTHAFA. We are basically going to get the lighter stuff. In fact if Robert were going to do a Zep album in its intierty. Its going to be Zep 3/HOTH.

I don't know if it was tame. I thought that Page and Plant No Quarter was tame. Of course they are not going to do a 40 minute Dazed and Confused. I thought that For Your life and IMTOD were pretty rocking. I think certian songs don't suite Robert now. We all know that if he incorporates Zeppelin into his solo set. We are not getting IMTOD/DC/HMMT. We are going to get. MMH/RR/TY/OTHAFA. We are basically going to get the lighter stuff. In fact if Robert were going to do a Zep album in its intierty. Its going to be Zep 3/HOTH.

Page and Plant tame?

I saw them in '96 in a 12K venue and they were rocking and LOUD!

Who'd've thought a Hurdy Gurdy would be a rock instrument!?

SIBLY was as good as any version I've seen or heard live.

What's wrong with the lighter stuff, anyway, it's on most of their albums?

Both albums you mentioned are classics and I'd say bring it on if it happened however doubtful that may be.

Tame compared the band in their prime, which it was. Nothing wrong with that either, I don't think anyone, including the band themselves expected to come out and get it done in 1972 form.

Page and Plant tame?

I saw them in '96 in a 12K venue and they were rocking and LOUD!

Who'd've thought a Hurdy Gurdy would be a rock instrument!?

SIBLY was as good as any version I've seen or heard live.

What's wrong with the lighter stuff, anyway, it's on most of their albums?

Both albums you mentioned are classics and I'd say bring it on if it happened however doubtful that may be.

When I say tame. I mean the No Quarter dvd. I am not talking the tour. They rocked it up in concert live. I guess I am so used to Plant being mellow with his music lately, It has shaped my perception to the point that I think of the Page and Plant years as mellow.

My post was to basically say that even one of the worlds greatest bands has to practice and get into the groove.

My post was to basically say that even one of the worlds greatest bands has to practice and get into the groove.

Every band has to practice no matter how great, especially one that was for all practical purposes dormant for 27 years prior to playing an entire set of songs. There's more to it than just being familiar with each other and the music. It's not like a weekly open jam at a bar where someone calls out a blues in A and those on stage easily navigate through basic changes because that's what those things are about. It's a big production with a light show and other elements that are all happening at the same time.

Archived