What song is Led Zeppelin for you

McSeven

What song for you is Led Zeppelin. Meaning its the best out of them all. Before you answer, think of every song you have heard and dig deep inside yourself for the answer.

For me when I listen to all of their music. Its When the Levee breaks. That song stands out of them all, even over Stairway. The Vocals/Harp/Guitar/Organ/Drums. They all have the best cohesion out of them all. There is such a magic quality to it. So for me if anyone wants to get what Zep is all about its Heavy Blues. No wonder they felt that they could not duplicate it well live.

Runners up are The Lemon Song/Immigrant song/Babe IGLY/TTWay/10yrs gone/IMTOD/HMMT.

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite but for what my opinion is worth, " Ramble On" has everything Zeppelin in it. Funny thing is, outside of a few snippets, I had to wait for Robert Plant in 93 to see and hear the song live. A beautiful version if I say so myself !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIG-s5_RGE

I'm not sure, this is a tough one, but for me it's have to be something from their later years since the songs from that time best demonstrate how far they went. As much as it's become the blacksheep of their catalog, not sure why, I feel LZ's most mature work that showcases their depth and musicianship is on ITTOD. To me it sounds like the refinement of everything they'd done before.

I'm not sure, this is a tough one, but for me it's have to be something from their later years since the songs from that time best demonstrate how far they went. As much as it's become the blacksheep of their catalog, not sure why, I feel LZ's most mature work that showcases their depth and musicianship is on ITTOD. To me it sounds like the refinement of everything they'd done before.

I would agree with respect for Presence - Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Royal Orleans, Hots On For Nowhere, etc... Those were some of their tightest jams overall... I just never could get onto In Through The Out Door much! Same for III... Immigrant Song is awesome and so was Out On The Tiles but the rest was too mellow and folksy for me personally! IV and Physical Graffitti were my favorite albums - HARDER & HEAVIER!!

:drumz::beer::burp::faint1::wakeup::run::running::beat:

It's hard to choose one song that defines what Led Zeppelin is because they had so much variety that one song cannot possibly cover it all. However, if I had to choose one, I'd choose Kashmir. It's loud, has a unique sond, and has an amazing riff, all aspects of the quintessential Led Zeppelin song.

I would agree with respect for Presence - Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Royal Orleans, Hots On For Nowhere, etc... Those were some of their tightest jams overall... I just never could get onto In Through The Out Door much! Same for III... Immigrant Song is awesome and so was Out On The Tiles but the rest was too mellow and folksy for me personally! IV and Physical Graffitti were my favorite albums - HARDER & HEAVIER!!

:drumz::beer::burp::faint1::wakeup::run::running::beat:

Royal Orleans and Hots on for Nowhere etc are never played on radio. I have never been at a friends playing Zep and had those songs playing. I never hear Page/Plant/Jones ever talk about those songs as well.

Pressence to me has 3 great songs. ALS/FYL/NFBM, the last one is not even my favorite. The sound and the vibe of P comes off bland and its like they went through the motion. ITTOD seems to have a little bit more happy vibe to it.

Zep 1 to PG thats where all the magic is for the most part.

• 1 month later...

It's hard to choose one song that defines what Led Zeppelin is because they had so much variety that one song cannot possibly cover it all. However, if I had to choose one, I'd choose Kashmir. It's loud, has a unique sond, and has an amazing riff, all aspects of the quintessential Led Zeppelin song.

I didn't have to think about it at all. Kashmir is it for me. Powerful. Thunderous. Brilliant.

Somebody on one of those VH-1 shows likened it to Beethoven. I absolutely agree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I might have answered this previously.. but it has to be The Rain Song, it did start when i listened to it on the song remains the same dvd, just the whole feeling and love the band portray the song just makes me feel like i'm in another world sometimes.

Just beautiful! ive always wanted 'these are the seasons on emotion, and like the wind, they rise and fall' as a tattoo.. might have to some stage in my life. :rolleyes:

Most of them really but ALS is and always will be a fave with Kashmirbut the opening min of When the Levee Breaks sums it all up for me why Zeppelin were Zeppelin, this isn't Classical, rock, jazz,pop,its not even blues as we know it. its pure sex, raunchy and hypnotic, as someone once said the opening to the song makes your testicles quake...Amen to that.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking about this same question the other night - while listening to a compilation disc I recently put together on the porch. My first thoughts have always been Achilles, Kashmir or Ten Years Gone. But while listening to When The Levee Breaks, I really felt all of the different components of Zep there - more so than the other songs I mentioned. The heavy strong Bonham rhythm, the great Plant wails and harp, the strong JPJ groove, Jimmy's amazing guitar and production. Like it was said before, it is true Zeppelin hypnotic magick. B)

Archived