The Ozzy Osbourne Thread

SteveAJones

I couldn't believe Ozzy didn't have his own thread here yet, though there are a few Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath threads. I recently read his autobiography, I Am Ozzy, and I must say it's a very candid memoir. Anyway, here's Ozzy taking the stage in Tokyo last week with one of my all time favorite rock songs, Bark At The Moon:

SAJ,

I wanted to help get your Ozzy thread off to a flying start. Did you know that Ozzy does a column in the UK Sunday Times entitled 'Ask Dr Ozzy'? The ST do caution readers that Dr Ozzy is in no way medically qualified;). Here is an example from the October 17 2010 edition:-

Ask Dr Ozzy

The Sunday Times (London); Oct 17, 2010; p. 13 Full Text:

(Copyright © Times Newspapers Limited 2010)

'The good thing about being Dr Ozzy is that I sometimes get the chance to save lives. So count yourself lucky -- under no circumstances suggest to your girlfriend that she should get a boob job' Dear Dr Ozzy My husband has bought a hot tub and put it in our garden, but I refuse to get in it as I've heard horror stories about the water becoming a breeding ground for germs. He says I'm worrying too much, and spends half the weekend in there. What's your opinion? Betty, Portsmouth You're both right. There's nothing better than being outdoors in a hot tub on a crisp October evening, drinking a nice glass of something cold. But if you don't maintain it properly, it can turn into a swamp, with algae, frogs and God-knowswhat-else floating in there. Even though it's shiny and blue, with pressure jets and mood lighting, a hot tub is still basically a big boiling cauldron of chemicals. The worst is when you have a party and a bunch of hairy blokes climbs in. Another thing with hot tubs: you gotta watch the heat. I used to get blasted on cocaine, feel my heart pounding, then try to calm down by jumping into 900-degree water. Once, my head almost exploded. But if your husband cleans his new toy regularly -- he can even sign up for a maintenance service -- there's no reason you shouldn't take a dip. It might even improve your love life.

I wish my girlfriend was better endowed. Would it be rude to suggest a boob job? I'd pay for it. Stan, Cheshire The good thing about being Dr Ozzy is I sometimes get the chance to save lives. Stan, count yourself lucky, 'cos that's what I'm about to do: under no circumstances bring this up with your girlfriend. If I made this suggestion to Sharon, the Osbourne crown jewels would end up halfway up my esophagus. To be honest, I wouldn't blame her.

I mean, imagine if the situation was reversed, and your girlfriend asked you to get an enlargement of your own? How would that feel? If it's that important to you, dump the girl and find yourself a Page 3 model.

I'm a 28-year-old virgin (ouch). I recently met a girl and we tried to make love, but I couldn't 'finish'. She accused me of indulging in solitary pleasures and wearing the big chap out. Is this possible? We tried again in the morning but I couldn't even achieve match fitness.

Chris, Reading This could just be nerves, Chris. Also, if you were drinking before your first attempt, that might have stopped you from reaching the fireworks ceremony. Then again, maybe you are "wearing the big chap out" -- you don't exactly seem to be denying it, do you? So my advice to you is calm down, don't drink beforehand, and cut out the five-knuckle shuffles.

I keep getting a build-up of debris in my belly button. It freaks me out, especially in the shower, when the fluff looks like a black spider crawling down my front. Gary, Iver Heath, Bucks Where's this fluff coming from? What are you wearing under your shirt -- a shag-pile carpet? The first thing I'd suggest is washing more (ie, more than once a year) and using a cotton-wool bud. Maybe you've got a really big belly button? So why not put it to good use? After you've cleaned out the fluff, try keeping a pack of mints in there or something. That should stop debris building up. And mints always come in handy.

I keep hearing humans need to drink eight glasses of water a day. This can't be right, can it? Billy, Leicester I tried drinking eight glasses of water a day for a while, and my bladder felt like a red-hot cannon ball. The way I look at it is: if you eat lots of fruit and veg, you'll get water from your food. On top of that, drink till you're not thirsty any more -- which means if you lose water from exercise, you'll be thirstier and need to drink a bit more. That's what animals do when they go to a watering hole. We ain't different.

My wife keeps nagging me to get a pedicure. Is this really something men get done these days? What's wrong with a few jagged toenails? I'm a bloke. Pete, Merseyside You have two choices: get nagged, or give in. If it's any consolation, I'm the Prince of Darkness and I've had more pedicures than hot dinners. Think of your pedicurist as more or less the same thing as a "chiropodist". I'm at the point now where I quite like getting a good old foot pruning. Ozzy was talking to Chris Ayres Do you have a question for Dr Ozzy? Email him at askdrozzy@sunday-times.co.uk

Warning: Ozzy Osbourne is not a qualified medical professional. Caution is advised

SURGERY NOTICE BOARD Thanks to Jane, a Dr Ozzy reader who emailed to say how her brother handled a malodorous co-worker (Marie, Stoke-on-Trent, October 3). She says: "My brother turned to his colleague, lifted his arm, sniffed his own armpit, smiled and said, 'Well, it isn't me.' This did the trick."

Ozzy 's regrets at show

The Express 02 August 2010;

EDITED BY LIZZIE CATT WITH LISA HIGGINS, DANA GLOGER AND JACK TEAGUE HIS family became reality television's most famous stars but Ozzy Osbourne now says he regrets appearing in the hit show.

While he acknowledges MTV's The Osbournes revitalised his career Ozzy now thinks it was harmful to his family and says it's unlikely that he would ever repeat the experience.

The 61-year-old singer, who starred in the show alongside wife Sharon and children Jack and Kelly from 2002 until 2005, says: "The kids couldn't handle it and my wife couldn't handle it - she had colon cancer.

"On the one hand the show was phenomenal but on the other hand I had to watch my family suffer." Recalling the surreal experience of having his home turned into a television set he adds: "You go to bed one day and you wake up and the world's completely different.

Everywhere there's cameras, you get attacked by the things." Despite the cost to his family the singer remains proud to have been involved in what he considers ground-breaking TV.

"We invented a new form of television, " he insists. "We started the ball rolling for these new shows now. But would we do it all over again? I don't know. I don't think so." The Black Sabbath star was speaking as he re-ignited his feud with rival rocker, Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson, who dramatically clashed with Sharon back in 2005 during an Ozzfest event in San Benardino.

"You know what? Unbeknown to me at the time he was going on stage every night and slagging me off and that really wasn't fair, " Osbourne now explains.

"He needs a psychiatrist if he does that, he's nuts. It's an irresponsible thing to do."

Faint shades of Sabbath in Ozzy's addled brain

The Independent on Sunday (London); Jul 4, 2010; Simon Price; p. 62

Considering all he's been through, Osbourne makes a decent job of resurrecting the old hits Rock

Ozzy Osbourne Leas Cliff Hall FOLKESTONE

One unshakeable fact emerges as I revisit Ozzy Osbourne's back catalogue while the train rolls on towards Folkestone: I bloody love Black Sabbath. It's all too easy to caricature Sabbath as pseudo-mystic dumbos, a Led Zeppelin for CSE kids, all upside-down crosses and Aleister Crowley, but find the footage of their early TV appearances and you'll see a straightahead, speed-freak, gonzo garage rock band, essentially a British Stooges, right down to their "motor city" origins.

When they came into their own, however, was when they killed the speed and locked into a sludgy, dinosaur-footed groove, like a diplo-docus wading to its slow death through the La Brea tar pits, as exemplified by "Sweet Leaf", sampled by the Beasties, Buttholes and countless others.

Sabbath exuded a specifically working-class strain of youthful nihilism, mistrustful of the treachery of the adult world, cynical about the employment conveyor belt, concerned only with making the rent, smoking weed and waiting for the apocalypse: "Hole in the sky, take me to heaven ..." And, in the forlorn, woe-is-me voice of Ozzy Osbourne, those sentiments had the perfect vehicle.

Taking the Ozzy Osbourne of 2010 seriously, however, is a challenge. It wasn't The Osbournes that blew Ozzy's gravitas: he'd already done that himself with his campy 1980s persona. But since that series, he's become a nationally treasured, substance-damaged jester, shouting "Sharooonnn!" in novelty greetings cards, rerecording "Changes" - Sabbath's suicidal end-of-relationship lament - as a soft-centred Father's Day gift, and appearing in the Beeb's appalling patriotic montage before England's World Cup humiliation.

He's got some ground to reclaim, and no mistake. And, to my mild surprise, the old man makes a decent fist of it. For starters, either I'm going blind, the make-up's thick, or the lighting's sympathetic ... or he really is looking relatively lean and healthy. Corpse-like pallor, black nail varnish, smudged eyeliner, maniacal grin: this is the Ozzy you want to see.

Admittedly, he does that doddery, confused walk familiar from his family's reality show. Admittedly, the guy sitting side-stage with the laptop, advancing the lyrics line by line for Ozzy's autocue, is a vital member of the crew. Admittedly, his slurring speech is difficult to decipher, besides a repeated "I can't hear you!" which, at his age, might be a genuine cri de coeur rather than showbiz banter. But his charisma is so strong it's ridiculous, and that voice is as magnificently mournful as ever.

Taking the stage in a diamante-sleeved cape for "Bark at the Moon", he hurls bottles of mineral water into the crowd. Immediately, someone sprays the contents back at him, whereupon he roars "Let's 'ave a fuckin' war!", and retaliates with a whole bucketful, a stunt he repeats three times.

Solo hits such as "Shot in the Dark" and "Mama I'm Coming Home" are all very well, but I'm here for the Sab stuff, and tonight we get Beavis & Butt-Head favourite "Iron Man", "Fairies Wear Boots" (one of the brilliant Sabbath songtitles) and an encore of proto-punk anthem "Paranoid", whose opening line "Finished with my woman cos she couldn't help me with my mind" is a great blues lyric, never mind heavy metal.

It matters little that I'm not hearing it performed by original Sabbath personnel, nor even by long-time sidekick Zakk Wylde. Ozzy has easily as much right to these songs as Tony Iommi, who sullied the band's reputation in the 1980s by putting out "Sabbath" albums featuring just one original member: himself. These days, Oz is backed by three tattooed longhairs of above average competence, and a drummer whose riser, hilariously, is half the height of the room. And they're perfectly adequate. What's a guitarist anyway, except a hired hand?

He promises more songs if we "go wild", and I'd have sold my soul for "War Pigs" (if only to bellow along with legendary non-rhyme "Generals gather in their masses/Just like witches at black masses ..."), but the lights come up, so Folkestone must have failed to go wild enough for Ozzy's liking. Then again, maybe he just didn't hear us.

Edited by kenog

• 1 month later...

Just caught the Ozzman at the Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ(formerly known as the Brendan Byrne Arena and The Continental Airlines Arena, the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

The show 12/3/10 and it was Ozzy's Birthday concert.

Ozzy band intro and happy birthday to Ozzy:

For the guitar solo fans, this is Gus G, Ozzy's lead guitarist:

And I couldn't forget crazy train:

I've got the whole show. If you want to see any certian song just pm me and i can pu

it on youtube.

Rock On!

Setlist from 12/3/10:

Bark at the Moon

Let Me Hear You Scream

Mr. Crowley

I Don't Know

N.I.B. -original sabbath

Suicide Solution

Road to Nowhere

Fairies Wear Boots - original Sabbath

Fire in the Sky

War Pigs - original sabbath

Happy Birthday to You!

Shot in the Dark

Guitar Solo - Gus G on lead guitar

Drum Solo - Tommy Clufetos

Iron Man - original sabbath

Killer of Giants

No More Tears

I Don't Want to Change the World

Crazy Train

Encore:

Into the Void - original sabbath

Mama, I'm Coming Home

Paranoid - original Sabbath

Review to follow.

Happy belated birthday to Ozzy.

After watching those videos, I honestly don't think that I would go to one of his concerts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Black Sabbath back in the day and saw them twice. But Ozzy is sure showing the wear and tear of life he has subjected himself to. Which makes me sad.

The lead guitarist, Gus, was awsome.

Hope you had a good time Bigzepfan.

Edited by ledzepfvr

Here's my review:

http://www.bluebirdreviews.com/bluebird-menu-title/12-frontrowdave/56-frontrowdave-on-ozzy-at-the-izod-center-dec-3-2010-.html

I know what you mean about wear and tear. Ozzy gives a whole new meaning to worn and torn.

He's Old. Can't sing for shit, Looks like death warmed over and can barely stand on his two feet the whole show.

but i still love him. I'll probably go see him twenty years from now if he and I are still able. It's ozzy.

You saw sabbath with Ozzy?? You have to tell me about it!

Here's my review:

http://www.bluebirdreviews.com/bluebird-menu-title/12-frontrowdave/56-frontrowdave-on-ozzy-at-the-izod-center-dec-3-2010-.html

I know what you mean about wear and tear. Ozzy gives a whole new meaning to worn and torn.

He's Old. Can't sing for shit, Looks like death warmed over and can barely stand on his two feet the whole show.

but i still love him. I'll probably go see him twenty years from now if he and I are still able. It's ozzy.

You saw sabbath with Ozzy?? You have to tell me about it!

Nice review.

The first time I saw Black Sabbath was at the California Jam 1 in 1974, April 6 at the Ontario Motor Speedway, which is no longer in existence. It was an all day event that started about 9 in the am until midnight with several bands. Me and about 200,000 others were there to take in the day. Couldn't really tell how far back I was, but my guess would be I had about 20,000 others in front of me and out of the full count for the day that was pretty good. I remember that was a large tower of speakers behind us. They came on late in the afternoon before Deep Purple.

There are a few youtube videos which is nice cuz the memory of the day has faded quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkZJMv3Lxw

Edited by ledzepfvr

Sweet, I remember reading about that show when i first got into the sab.

When I grew up there were absolutely zero videos available of ozzy and sabbath.

your show is one of the first ones I've seen clips of and definitely the first ourdoor daytime show.

Gotta love those rock and roll memories.

Sweet, I remember reading about that show when i first got into the sab.

When I grew up there were absolutely zero videos available of ozzy and sabbath.

your show is one of the first ones I've seen clips of and definitely the first ourdoor daytime show.

Gotta love those rock and roll memories.

This event was taped by ABC for the in concert series they used to run. Every Friday night around 11:00 they would show some recent concert that was taped.

It's so nice to have footage of a show you actually attended. Doesn't happen often enough...well then anyway.

Now, of course, every show is taped. How times have changed!

I always said if I hit the lotto I'd try to find every concert I have ever attendeds bootleg audio or video. lol.

It's so nice to have footage of a show you actually attended. Doesn't happen often enough...well then anyway.

Now, of course, every show is taped. How times have changed!

I always said if I hit the lotto I'd try to find every concert I have ever attendeds bootleg audio or video. lol.

I had to search the net to fill the gap on the second time I saw Ozzy with Sabbath. I love the internet.

It was on 5-9-75 at the Orange Show Fairgrounds. Found out it was called "Sabatoge on Route 666". My boyfriend at the time had a younger brother and a buddy who wanted to go and needed someone to drive them. They got me a ticket too and we all went. I spent most of the time on my own as they ran off to do their own thing. I remember worming my way up on the field to see how close I could get. Got pretty close, but we were packed like sardines and as I am only 5'3" I really couldn't see much over the taller people. And it got hot :veryhot: . I felt like I could pass out and panick took over, cuz if I did I would probably just be trampled. Found my out of there and set in the stands by myself til the end of the show. Couldn't find any photos but there are bootlegs out there of the show.

I have wanted to make a timeline of the shows I went to and document them some how. The more time passes by the fainter all those memories are becoming.

This event was taped by ABC for the in concert series they used to run. Every Friday night around 11:00 they would show some recent concert that was taped.

I remember watching the first California Jam as well as California Jam II years later. Besides Sabbath and Deep Purple at the first one, ELP's performance really stands out in my memory, particularly this segment:

I remember watching the first California Jam as well as California Jam II years later. Besides Sabbath and Deep Purple at the first one, ELP's performance really stands out in my memory, particularly this segment:

Oh Man!!! Seeing that was unbelievable. The piano rising up and twirling like that. One might have thought the weed was playing tricks, but no, it really happened. That is one moment for me that hasn't faded away.

Setlist from 12/3/10:

Bark at the Moon

Let Me Hear You Scream

Mr. Crowley

I Don't Know

N.I.B. -original sabbath

Suicide Solution

Road to Nowhere

Fairies Wear Boots - original Sabbath

Fire in the Sky

War Pigs - original sabbath

Happy Birthday to You!

Shot in the Dark

Guitar Solo - Gus G on lead guitar

Drum Solo - Tommy Clufetos

Iron Man - original sabbath

Killer of Giants

No More Tears

I Don't Want to Change the World

Crazy Train

Encore:

Into the Void - original sabbath

Mama, I'm Coming Home

Paranoid - original Sabbath

Review to follow.

Good set list

IMG00223.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

I had to search the net to fill the gap on the second time I saw Ozzy with Sabbath. I love the internet.

It was on 5-9-75 at the Orange Show Fairgrounds. Found out it was called "Sabatoge on Route 666". My boyfriend at the time had a younger brother and a buddy who wanted to go and needed someone to drive them. They got me a ticket too and we all went. I spent most of the time on my own as they ran off to do their own thing. I remember worming my way up on the field to see how close I could get. Got pretty close, but we were packed like sardines and as I am only 5'3" I really couldn't see much over the taller people. And it got hot :veryhot: . I felt like I could pass out and panick took over, cuz if I did I would probably just be trampled. Found my out of there and set in the stands by myself til the end of the show. Couldn't find any photos but there are bootlegs out there of the show.

I have wanted to make a timeline of the shows I went to and document them some how. The more time passes by the fainter all those memories are becoming.

I know the feeling of claustrophobia - some shows get so crazy you just have to get out of there, especially some of the mosh pits!

I thought the same about the timeline. I started out by listing all of the shows that I can remember.

I also save tik stubs so I'm going to scan each one to accompany the list. Would be very cool to do links

also to ads, reviews, and videos of each show.

Will get to it one of these days!

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is with Ozzy is he makes me smile and thats great, not only that Randy Rhoads, Jake E lee and Zakk Wylde are amoungst the best and most influential guitarists there are..love disecting there stuff.

Just bought his latest album on vinyl, and it's really LOUD, nice to hear a man of his age beeing capable of sounding so angry.

Also the album inspied me to re-listen some of his older works and I must admit that Diary of a madman is still one of the greatest rock/metal albums ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwg1z0rsULw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac9qOu2ITH0&feature=related

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...