Buffalo Springfield (Again)

Jahfin

I've been posting tidbits of info about the recent reunion of Buffalo Springfield at Neil Young's annual Bridge School benefit in the Neil Young thread but in all honesty, it deserves a thread of it's own. I'm also quite surprised there hasn't been more reaction to it here. Perhaps because most people have fled old fashioned message board such as this for Facebook?

From NoDepression.com:

I have seen rock and roll past

and its name is Buffalo Springfield

Posted by Steve Dougherty

The surviving members of the late, great and short-lived Buffalo Springfield performed in concert this weekend for the first time since they broke up in 1969. The occasion for the get together was Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit concert, a two day event at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountainview, Ca. I attended Saturday's show.

The reunion of Young's former band was the headline attraction and it was bittersweet. You were left agog at the thought of what might have been had they stuck around instead of disintegrating after three albums and barely two years together. Seeing them live and in such great voice made me realize what a huge vacuum they left and what a shame it was that other, vastly inferior hooks-and-harmony guitar bands (who said anything about the Eagles?) came along and commandeered their audience.

The setting was beautiful, an outdoor amphitheater clad in mists that drifted in from San Francisco Bay; on a raised platform at the back of the stage were Bridge School students and alumni, young people confined to their wheel chairs by Cerebral Palsy (among them was Neil and Peggy Young's son) and attended by their doting parents - truly a striking and moving tableau. It rained off and on throughout the concert and that seemed fitting somehow.

To read the remainder of the review click here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this reunion too. Springfield were a major influence to the west coast/ LA canyon sounds of the late 60's.

I watched as much of it as I could on You Tube.

Loved it!!

I guess some people just don't know excellent musicians (teasing), or never bothered checking them out. Our Neil fans need to go back...way back.

I first HEARD him with Springfield. I saw him with CSN&Y way back in 70-71ish. Twice.

• 3 months later...

From RollingStone.com:

Exclusive: Buffalo Springfield Plans to Reunite for Fall Tour

Band friend David Crosby confirms group will hit the road for the first time since 1968: 'Personally, I’d like to go watch'

main.jpg

Richie Furay and Neil Young of Buffalo Springfield perform at Neil Young's 24th Annual Bridge School Benefit Concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre on October 24, 2010 in Mountain View, California

Barry Brecheisen/FilmMagic

By Patrick Doyle

Since Buffalo Springfield reunited at last year’s Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, California, there have been rumors the band will tour for the first time since their break-up in 1968. Now longtime band friend David Crosby confirms it: original members Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay will hit the road this fall.

“I think he is excited,” Crosby says of CSN bandmate Stephen Stills. “And I’ve got to tell you, I didn’t get to see them live, but I watched clips and Richie [Furay]- I got to tell you man, he is so happy onstage and is such a joyful energy.”

To read the remainder of the article click here.

• 1 month later...

Two shows at the Wiltern June 4 & 5 Hotplant! But get ready for sticker-shock...tix are $250-90. And that is before any service fees are added.

The shows come just over a week after Plant's show at the Greek so the old guard will be in clover that week.

Two shows at the Wiltern June 4 & 5 Hotplant! But get ready for sticker-shock...tix are $250-90. And that is before any service fees are added.

Depending on the venue, tix for Neil's current solo tour are anywhere from $80 to over $200. Wouldn't it be something if fans actually organized a boycott and flat out refused to pay those prices? There's no dates set for Buffalo Springfield in NC yet but if they do play here and they're in the $300 price range I will not be going.

• 2 months later...

alternate-take.jpg

Buffalo Springfield Launch First Tour in 43 Years

b94176213d95054ceb84058517d1c348ec5e1499.jpg

Stephen Stills, Richie Furay and Neil Young play on June 1st, 2011 at the Fox Theater in Oakland, CA.

Photograph by Jay Blakesberg for RollingStone.com

"Thank you, we're Buffalo Springfield," Neil Young announced early in the band's June 1st show at the Fox Theater in Oakland, the opening date of the Springfield's first tour since the spring of 1968. "We're from the past," Young added drily.

They were not – he could have added without fear of contradiction – stuck in it. For nearly two hours, in a performance comprised almost entirely of songs from nearly half a century ago, Buffalo Springfield's surviving members and original vocal-songwriting front line – Young and singer-guitarists Stephen Stills and Richie Furay – played like a band genuinely reborn: thrilled to be on stage again, determined not to let their songs or legacy down. There was jubilant fraternity in the close-harmony singing, especially by Young and Furay in the soft vocal rain at the end of "On the Way Home" and their gleaming Morse-code flourishes behind Stills' grainy tenor in "Rock and Roll Woman."

There was also nerve. After a 14-song set that veered from "Hot Dusty Roads" and "Everybody's Wrong," a pair of gritty Stills numbers from deep inside the 1966 debut LP, Buffalo Springfield, to Furay's great lost ballad "Sad Memory" from 1967's Buffalo Springfield Again, Young opened the encore by leading the group through "Broken Arrow," his epic frontier daydream at the end of Again. A complex studio creation, it was recorded by Young as a solo piece, with session men, and never performed live in the Springfield's first lifetime. Tonight, the song featured Stills at the piano, Furay flying next to Young in the chorus harmonies and its original honky-tonk country coda. This was more than exciting resurrection – it was a kind of justice, the way the Springfield would have played and recorded Young's suite if they hadn't been so busy falling apart at the time.

To read the rest of the article click here.

Well I had to miss the Wiltern shows due to my hospitalization. But considering the cost, I probably would've passed anyway. Since the Santa Barbara tix were $50, that would have been my plan...go up and see the SB Bowl show.

One of my friends got a free ticket for the June 4 Wiltern show and he said it was amazing. Gillian Welsh opened, and he had never seen her before either.

He had a good seat(it was a seated show, not GA) front of the stage. Neil joked "Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated."

My friend thought there were too many Richie Furay songs, and didn't think they played Expecting to Fly. Stills' voice is shot, but the highlight of the night for my friend was Mr.Soul, with Stills and Young trading licks.

The encore was Broken Arrow, For What It's Worth, and Rocking in the Free World.

When I asked my friend if he hadn't got a free ticket, if he would have paid $280 to see the show, he said probably not.

No word on whether or not they'll be playing NC on this tour but if the tix are high, I'll be passing on it. Gillian Welch has a new album out this month and will be touring behind it this summer outside of her shows with Buffalo Springfield. I'm sure ticket prices for her show will be much more reasonable. If you've never heard her, you it owe it to yourself to check her out. My favorite record of hers is Time (The Revelator).

• 2 weeks later...

From RollingStone.com:

Buffalo Springfield Postpone Reunion Tour

The group had planned 30 dates this fall

main.jpg

Photograph by Jay Blakesberg for RollingStone.com

By ANDY GREENE

Buffalo Springfield have postponed their planned fall 2011 tour until next year, according to a post on Richie Furay's Facebook page. "For those of you getting excited about the Buffalo Springfield fall tour – word has just come to me that it has been moved to the first of next year," he wrote. "I'm not going to spend a lot time here with details as you speculate among yourselves – there's nothing to speculate about, the tour has simply been moved."

The surviving members of Buffalo Springfield – Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay – reformed last October at Young's annual Bridge School Benefit. It was their first appearance since splitting up in 1968. Earlier this month, they went on a seven-date date that culminated with a headlining slot at Bonnaroo. "The plan is to do 30 dates this fall," Furay told Rolling Stone shortly before the show. "The anchors will be Los Angeles and New York. What the other cities are, I can't tell you right now – but we're almost certainly doing Red Rocks."

Backstage at the festival, Furay and Stills spoke more about the reunion. "This time I can actually play the guitar," Stills said. "But not for long, according to certain physicians." Stills did seem a bit alarmed when Furay mentioned a "30-plus" date tour for the fall. "Thirty plus?" he said. "Well, they better have a break. Cause if we have this much trouble with six, I can't imagine 30."

Buffalo Springfield existed for only two years, and during that time Neil Young quit the group at least two separate times. He later formed Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young with his former Buffalo Springfield bandmate Stephen Stills – and Young has walked away from that group too many times to count. In 1976 he formed the Stills-Young band with Stephen Stills. They recorded an album and hit the road – but Young quit about halfway through the tour. He informed Stills of his decision in an infamous letter: "Funny how things that start spontaneously end that way," he wrote. "Eat a peach, Neil."

Despite that history, there's no indication that Young has quit Buffalo Springfield. Again.

Archived