LOVE

BIGDAN

Hi Danny

This is great topic, but quite a difficult one to put into words.

If you'd started this topic a few months ago I would have told you that I know exactly who I love and why.

My view now is that we so often take love for granted, that it's not until something happens to someone that we realise how much we care for that person.

A personal example would be that my parents divorced when I was younger, and I haven't spoken to my dad for a number of years, and I thought in my own mind that I'd stop caring about him. Last month his wife died suddenly and when I was told the news I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and cried. I was sad that his wife had died, but what made me even more sad was the thought of my dad being on his own and the grief he must be suffering, and I came to realise that despite our past differences I still loved my dad. We talk on the phone now nearly every week, and for the first time in my life I feel close to him.

So I guess what my story shows is that you can love someone and not even be aware of it.

Magic

Hi Danny

If you'd started this topic a few months ago I would have told you that I know exactly who I love and why.

My view now is that we so often take love for granted, that it's not until something happens to someone that we realise how much we care for that person.

A personal example would be that my parents divorced when I was younger, and I haven't spoken to my dad for a number of years, and I thought in my own mind that I'd stop caring about him. Last month his wife died suddenly and when I was told the news I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and cried. I was sad that his wife had died, but what made me even more sad was the thought of my dad being on his own and the grief he must be suffering, and I came to realise that despite our past differences I still loved my dad. We talk on the phone now nearly every week, and for the first time in my life I feel close to him.

So I guess what my story shows is that you can love someone and not even be aware of it.

Magic

Hi Magic,

I have been trying to figure what "Love" is for decades now, just when you think you have nailed it something changes your mind. We used to discuss this very Topic at my Ju Jitsu classes, well in the Pub after a good session really, anything to get away from talking shop. Nobody ever nailed it, although many tried, in the end its was all down to a Personal Taste or Feeling.

I have no concrete answer's to share with you, I just keep on trying to find a way to express what I feel but there is always another take on it. So many people say they "Love" this or "Love" that, that the True Meaning gets somewhat lost in all the Hype.

They say that they "Love" something in a particular way but in reality they mean they "Like" it, sometimes quite a lot.

To give an example of "True Love" I would have to say this, "To Give without thought of Return or Reward".

Good story and thanks for sharing, I'm glad you and your Dad have resolved your differences to a point where you can talk, I never did with either my Mum or Dad or Brother, but that's another Topic I think.

Regards, Danny

Well, the entire concept of love is rather complicated. It is rather subjective and I guess the very meaning of love differs from person to person!

For instance, take my mom for example. She means the world to me and I consider her to be one of the few people on this earth who actually accepts me for who I am. She had a very abusive childhood where she used to get beaten almost everyday by my grandmother for no apparent reason whatsoever! :angry: She once even hit my mom so hard that blood started to drip from her mouth. The reason was that my mom had woken up 5 minutes late that morning to get to school! Mind you, she was just a 5 year old little girl! My aunt (my mom's younger sister) had to be given up to the concerned authorities because of the extremely violent atmosphere my grandmom created! We have absolutely no idea where my aunt is! My mom has tried to track her down several times but there doesn't seem to be any trace of her! My grandmom, to this day, still remains a very evil and manipulative woman. And I hate her for what she did to my mom!

My mom fearing that she and I will suffer the same fate (and have a very horrid relationship), tries her hardest to give me the sort of life that she never had as a child or for that matter even as a young adult! Now that is love! :wub: She and I share a very strong bond. I was born a day before her 28th birthday (on the 9th of December, 1987) and she keeps saying that I was her 28th birthday present. :wub:

My grandmom tried to wriggle her way back into our lives when I was a little girl and tried to compete with my mom for my love and attention! Shockingly, she even asked me once : "Who do you love more? Me or your mother?" It's just sick! When I replied that I loved my mom more, the old bitch gave me a slap and said that "I am richer than your mom. I give you more expensive gifts for your birthday, Christmas, etc. And yet you love that stupid woman more than me?". I was absolutely furious (I was just 12 at the time). I (while keeping my temper in check), told her "Money cannot buy love. All of the most expensive gifts in the world is not an indicator that you love a person. Besides, what would you know about love after all the hell you put my mother through all these years?!". And I just walked away after saying that. I have not spoken to that old bitch in 10 years and boy it sure feels good! B)

Hi Danny

Magic

Hi Magic.....My parents divorced when I was 2 and he disappeared to live his own life. My mom told me that when I turned 18 I could track him down if I wanted but since I had no relationship I thought he would be a stranger to me. Around 20 my uncle finally instrumented a meeting for us and I found out I was wrong. We had so much in common and alot of my mannerisms he had I could see in myself. He wasn't the bad guy that my aunt had painted him out to be all my life. His wife was tragically killed in an auto accident 2 years after we met and that brought us closer together. Had a scare last year as my dad had cancer but all is well. Just wish he lived closer so we could spend more time together.

Dan....love between people is a different dance for everyone therefore hard to pin down. Relationships can be so complicated depending on the people involved.

I look forward to spending time with my hubby and what I can do to make his life easier without any expectations of what he can do for me. Be he seems to have the same feelings of making my life easy and happy. The comfort of him sleeping beside me each night and starting each new day for the last 25 years has been a wonderful journey.

Hi Danny

Magic

Wow! Magic, it seems like you love your dad so much! You were actually there for him in his hour of need inspite of your differences! Good on you! :D I am so glad that you two could actually resolve your differences and begin forming a bond! It's never too late for that sort of thing in my book! :D I found your story to be very sweet and touching! Thanks for sharing and may the bond between you and your dad grow stronger and stronger everyday! :D

Love is pretty basic I think. There are just different types of love. How parents love their children. How siblings love each other. How friends love each other. How lovers love each other. It's a connection shared between people to encourage and nourish at the very least. The thing is.. love isn't just a feeling. It's also, a verb.

:wub: Bump :wub:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments; love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O, no, it is an ever-fixèd mark,

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wand'ring bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his heighth be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come;

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

William Shakespeare.

So true. :wub:

Tough question Danny !

To me, true love is a feeling of warmth and contentment that creates respect, understanding and, a kinship that can never be broken.

There are many types of love so it is hard to give an answer without going into an endless diatribe but..... when it comes to the truest, purest and most honest....

Never surrender

Never compromise

no matter what the cost. I got disowned this morning....

and seeing the following afterwards, totally made my day:

14 November 1966 » Jimmy Page - Paintsville, Kentucky @ Paintsville High School Gymnasium

I think real 'love' is universal love, its about seeing the universe as one living breathing entity, or the true value in giving something and not expecting anything in return. The other kind of love I think is more just about sex and reproduction.

Archived