The Mothership, what changes?

UWICLedZeppelin

Talking about what was left off Remasters.

Have any of you got this?

LedZeppelinBoxSetIIcover.jpg

Disc 1.

Good Times Bad Times

We’re Gonna Groove

Night Flight

That’s The Way

Baby Come On Home

The Lemon Song

You Shook Me

Boogie With Stu

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

Out On The Tiles

Black Mountainside

Moby Dick

Sick Again

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

Disc 2

South Bound Suarez

Walter’s Walk

Darlene

Black Country Woman

How Many More Times

The Rover

Four Sticks

Hat’s Off To Roy Harper

I Can’t Quit You Baby

Hots On For Nowhere

Living Loving Maid

Royal Orleans

Bonzo’s Montreux

The Crunge

Bring It On Home

Tea For One

I still say that for many people, compilations of a band's music serve them well enough to not delve into their catalog further. Of the bands I like enough, I get many if not all their albums, but that's not to speak for everyone. It's not pointless to get a collection of songs and stop at that. As was pointed out about the Rolling Stones, their music over the last 20 years or so is bland and as much as I like them, I won't get all of their albums. If someone has only "Hot Rocks", I'm not going to diss them and say how they're so underexposed if that's all they want. Same with Led Zeppelin. If a person is satisfied with Mothership, so be it. A fan doesn't have to or feel compelled to gather every song a band puts out. My main point was asking the poster I addressed if they have any compilations of a band and if that'd be good enough for them? Maybe a Miles Davis collection and not everyone of his 100+ albums!!! Or Petula Clark or Paul Revere and the Raiders or The Searchers or Englebert Humperdinck for that matter.

Greatest hits comps are a necessary evil. Since obtaining an iPod I've found myself picking up my fair share of greatest hits collections (on CD) just for a song or two. That leaves a lot more to discover but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to do so. Maybe I already have some of their music on vinyl, or maybe I've heard enough of their other material to determine whether I want to seek out their back catalog or not.

In the case of Mothership, in addition to already having the Zep collection on vinyl, I also picked up the two box sets when they came out so that pretty much has me covered as far as their studio albums. There's been no real need to buy any of the greatest hits collections. As has been previously mentioned, if a new fan were to be bitten by the Zeppelin bug, it wouldn't take too long to catch up on their studio records. One thing that does concern me is, the recordings I have aren't sequenced as "albums" so the seques from the original records aren't the same. Well, I guess they are the same but they're faded out, whereas the original recordings were seamless from one song to the next such as Black Mountain Side into Communication Breakdown from the first album.

Disc 1.

Good Times Bad Times

We’re Gonna Groove

Night Flight

That’s The Way

Baby Come On Home

The Lemon Song

You Shook Me

Boogie With Stu

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

Out On The Tiles

Black Mountainside

Moby Dick

Sick Again

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

Disc 2

South Bound Suarez

Walter’s Walk

Darlene

Black Country Woman

How Many More Times

The Rover

Four Sticks

Hat’s Off To Roy Harper

I Can’t Quit You Baby

Hots On For Nowhere

Living Loving Maid

Royal Orleans

Bonzo’s Montreux

The Crunge

Bring It On Home

Tea For One

Hi,

I guess a lot of people have as it picked up the tracks missing from the original remaster. Pity they didn't just remaster teh whole lot in one hit, but I guess it might have been expensive to buy.

Andy

Disc 1.

Good Times Bad Times

We’re Gonna Groove

Night Flight

That’s The Way

Baby Come On Home

The Lemon Song

You Shook Me

Boogie With Stu

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

Out On The Tiles

Black Mountainside

Moby Dick

Sick Again

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

Disc 2

South Bound Suarez

Walter’s Walk

Darlene

Black Country Woman

How Many More Times

The Rover

Four Sticks

Hat’s Off To Roy Harper

I Can’t Quit You Baby

Hots On For Nowhere

Living Loving Maid

Royal Orleans

Bonzo’s Montreux

The Crunge

Bring It On Home

Tea For One

I've also got this as well as the crop circles box set. Wasn't this limited edition when it was originally released? It comes with a really good booklet, so I'd recommend it for that. :D

I still say that for many people, compilations of a band's music serve them well enough to not delve into their catalog further. Of the bands I like enough, I get many if not all their albums, but that's not to speak for everyone. It's not pointless to get a collection of songs and stop at that. As was pointed out about the Rolling Stones, their music over the last 20 years or so is bland and as much as I like them, I won't get all of their albums. If someone has only "Hot Rocks", I'm not going to diss them and say how they're so underexposed if that's all they want. Same with Led Zeppelin. If a person is satisfied with Mothership, so be it. A fan doesn't have to or feel compelled to gather every song a band puts out. My main point was asking the poster I addressed if they have any compilations of a band and if that'd be good enough for them? Maybe a Miles Davis collection and not everyone of his 100+ albums!!! Or Petula Clark or Paul Revere and the Raiders or The Searchers or Englebert Humperdinck for that matter.

Do you expect me to agree with every little thing you say? I am sorry but I do not! Our opinions differ and to me, there is nothing wrong with that you know? The only band which I can think of whose greatest hits compliation album even remotely summarises their entire catalogue is "The Jimi Hendrix Experience". Go figure, because that band has made just 3 albums together! But that my friend, didn't necessarily stop me there. I went on to purchase "Axis : Bold As Love", "Are You Experienced?" and "Electric Ladyland". And you have absolutely no idea how proud I am of those purchases and quite frankly, I would not have settled for anything less! But in all fairness, looking at it from your perspective, there is one compliation CD which pretty much does it for me and that's the one by Elvis Presely (the one with 30 songs in it). My mom loves his music and recommended his music to me. Sure, one or two songs like "Hound Dog", "Jailhouse Rock" and "Suspicious Minds" caught my attention but that was that! If I want to listen to Elvis, occassionally, I just listen to this greatest hits CD and that's it! I forget about it for the rest of the time! ;)

Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock and Suspicious Minds!! Is that ALL?"Sounds pretty ridiculous to me" :P

LOL! :lol: Yeah! That's pretty much it! :P Besides, it will be quite boring if both of us agreed on every single little thing and had the same music tastes, wouldn't it? We wouldn't be getting on each others nerves and having such lovely arguments, would we now? :lol: It's like this. Since you are indeed satisfied with the 40 Licks compilation CD by the Stones or so it seems reading from your posts, I am satisfied with the 30 Hits compilation as far as Elvis is concerned! Get the picture mate? B)

And FYI, this is my last post for this topic because I am getting pretty tired of replying to you and looks like you'll be satisfied if and only if I happen to agree with your "brilliant" and "insightful" :rolleyes: take on things! Sounds pretty stubborn to me! You call me ridiculous and silly? I call you stubborn! ;) See ya mate! :P

To get the thread back on track and answer the OP's question, there isn't much I'd change about Mothership. I might add Tea For One to Disc 2, because I think it's sorely underrated but that might be it. I have Mothership and I like it, and don't really feel like I need to buy more stuff to supplement it. I have the vinyl albums of theirs I want, I have two greatest hits albums, I have two live albums......I'm more than satisfied with that.

LOL! It's like this. Since you are indeed satisfied with the 40 Licks compilation CD by the Stones or so it seems reading from your posts, I am satisfied with the 30 Hits compilation as far as Elvis is concerned! Get the picture mate?

Actually I've got 28 various issues of Stones legitimate cd's and over 20 bootlegs, so no, 40 Licks ain't in the picture, mate. :P Ever play Devil's Advocate?

Can't say I have a problem with Mothership or any career spanning compilations, including Greatest Hits packages. It isn't realisitic to think any band can accurately cover their entire catalog with one album of songs no matter how thoughfully laid out. Nor is it realistic to think anyone but the most hardcore fans will bypass these collections in favor of buying an artist's entire catalog. That said despite owning all the studio albums of bands like LZ I still buy comps because having an expanded collection of a bands music is good for the car for a guy like me, not into the ipod yet and I don't burn mix cd's etc.

Here is the tracklist for any reference:

Disc 1

Good Times Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

Dazed and Confused

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Whole Lotta Love

Ramble On

Heartbreaker

Immigrant Song

Since I've Been Loving You

Rock and Roll

Black Dog

When The Levee Breaks

Stairway To Heaven

Disc 2

Song Remains The Same

Over The Hills And Far Away

D'Yer Maker

No Quarter

Trampled Under Foot

Houses Of The Holy

Kashmir

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Achilles Last Stand

In The Evening

All My Love

================================================

No idea how D'Yer Maker made it on tbh, i actually like the song but not sure it should be featured here, tracks that i think should have been replaced are:

D'Yer Maker - The Rover

Houses Of The Holy - In My Time Of Dying (i really love the album version as well as live)

Would have like to see Going To California added too, maybe also Ten Years Gone

Maybe a couple of live versions but there are the other CD's for that i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Years Gone is really the most glaring omission, at least to me. I'd take out D'yer Maker (really poor song IMO) and put in Ten Years Gone and Tea For One. Disc 2 needs some more weight.

I agree that Ten Years Gone is a glaring omission.

However, I think Tea For One is a weakish attempt to relive Since I've Been Loving You.

D'yer Mak'er is a far more interesting, original and eclectic song than Tea For One and deserves to be there moreso than just a rehash of the far far superior SIBLY, which is already on Mothership. There is already SIBLY on disc 1 so why include an inferior copy of it on disc 2? Better to go with something totally different, which is a good song in it's own right as well.

Tea For One is not to me, an attempt to re-hash SIBLY. It's more like a sequel or a continuation of that song's storyline. That is different than a re-hash. A re-hash would be scrapping the first song and doing it over again, which I don't think they did.

I got Mothership for Christmas a year or two ago from my parents, which was essentially my first introduction to them, save the random occasions when my dad would play something like Kashmir or Stairway when he found them on the radio. As much as I absolutely love all the songs on there, I would have definitely added "The Ocean", "What Is And What Should Never Be", and possibly "The Rain Song". Also I don't think I would have minded "In My Time Of Dying", "Tangerine", "Ten Years Gone", and/or "Fool In the Rain" either, or at least another song off of "In Through The Out Door" ("I'm Gonna Crawl", maybe?). Of course, all of Led Zeppelin's songs are fantastic and amazing, and a compilation of all of their great ones is their entire discography! ;)

Anyway, for those young ones like myself who are being raised in the era of absolute and complete crap (pop and rap, I mean), Mothership is definitely a great album to introduce us to the good music of the world; the music without auto-tune and/or monotonous, computerized drumbeats. I may only be a teen, but I have a fairly decent grasp on what is and isn't good music. :)

Archived