Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

Joseph Clement Pereira's Photos (8) - including with John Mayall...

http://www.themodgeneration.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=0nkixvq29rpg7

Eric Clapton with John Mayall- I'm Your Witchdoctor/Telephone Blues (Produced by Jimmy Page 9/22/65)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCo-DUBSD98

Photos of Clapton, November 1990 Singapore Indoor Stadium

http://www.lushington.com/artistpages/ericclapton.html

SAJ, Joseph posed some questions to Eric Clapton in Singapore as part of press present back in the 90's, as Joseph told me in his emails, a while back...

I don't know any further details, (except that Clapton was quite impressed) or photos if there are any...

Edited by PlanetPage

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, Ally - I'm also under the impression that Clapton has become a lot more patient and understanding over the years. ;)

And he is someone who used to have very little time for most people back in the day. His matured self even jokes now that he used to think "Clapton is God" was a pretty accurate statement. :lol:

He sure has had a lot of incredible guitar moments, but his solo on this Robert Johnson track may just be the finest piece of blues playing Ive heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhf7I1J0lG4

Yeah it's really good, as are so many other performances from the 2007 Crossroads festival (Jeff Beck with Tal Wilkenfield on bass, for one - and Derek Trucks is amazing). Clapton is playing wonderfully still, and there's a great deal of continuity in his approach, despite everything. Really those licks and runs he's playing there, if you imagine them played on a Les Paul, they're pretty much how he played in the era of the Bluesbreakers and of Cream. That's not a criticism, because it's fantastic.

I saw him a couple of years ago and it was a huge disappointment, not because Clapton wasn't terrific (he was great) but because the venue was simply awful, and it really affected one's enjoyment of the show. But it was great to see him.

Eric Clapton with John Mayall- I'm Your Witchdoctor/Telephone Blues (Produced by Jimmy Page 9/22/65)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TCo-DUBSD98

Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton is one of my favorite albums. I love John Mayall and still think that Clapton/Mayall collaboration was brilliant.

I have an ever-lasting fondness for Clapton and his work - I still catch every concert of his that I can as (like Beck) he often changes musicians and set lists. And, I've been fortunate that two of his recent concerts focused on the blues and were in (for Clapton) relatively small venues of 10,000 and less.

I was recently going through some of my own old concert photos and found one from his "comeback" tour - I had forgotten how gaunt and haggard and tenuous EC looked behind his large sunglasses (and in my photo, he is alone)...the next photo I have (from a year or two later) shows him without the glasses, looking so much more comfortable and relaxed, fit and healthy, with his shirt open. The last one (from a year or so after that) shows him looking confident and relaxed on stage. Then I found some of my photos from the ARMS concerts and Jimmy is the one who is taking the first tenuous steps back to performing live, looking gaunt, surrounded by his fellow musicians, including Eric, who is right next to him.

The sweetest recent photo I've seen of Eric is the one taken by Nettie Baker - it shows Eric, Ginger and Charlotte Martin all laughing together (although Ginger is wearing an oxygen mask).

Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton is one of my favorite albums. I love John Mayall and still think that Clapton/Mayall collaboration was brilliant.

I have an ever-lasting fondness for Clapton and his work - I still catch every concert of his that I can as (like Beck) he often changes musicians and set lists. And, I've been fortunate that two of his recent concerts focused on the blues and were in (for Clapton) relatively small venues of 10,000 and less.

I was recently going through some of my own old concert photos and found one from his "comeback" tour - I had forgotten how gaunt and haggard and tenuous EC looked behind his large sunglasses (and in my photo, he is alone)...the next photo I have (from a year or two later) shows him without the glasses, looking so much more comfortable and relaxed, fit and healthy, with his shirt open. The last one (from a year or so after that) shows him looking confident and relaxed on stage. Then I found some of my photos from the ARMS concerts and Jimmy is the one who is taking the first tenuous steps back to performing live, looking gaunt, surrounded by his fellow musicians, including Eric, who is right next to him.

The sweetest recent photo I've seen of Eric is the one taken by Nettie Baker - it shows Eric, Ginger and Charlotte Martin all laughing together (although Ginger is wearing an oxygen mask).

Got out my vinyl copy of "History of Eric Clapton", purchased in 1972.

Song 2 is "Hideaway" with the Bluesbreakers

Song 3 is "Tribute to Elmore" with Jimmy Page

• 3 months later...

Clapton, Winwood Headed For Japan

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood still can't find their way home,

preferring instead to play 12 dates in Japan this fall.

The Blind Faith comrades will launch their tour of Japan in Sapporo and wrap it up with a multi-night stand in Tokyo.

The tour begins at Sapporo's Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Nov. 17, plays the Yokohama Arena and spends two nights in Osaka, playing Castle Hall Nov. 21 and Osaka Jo Hall Nov. 22. Other stops include Fukuoka (Nov. 24); Hiroshima (Nov. 26); Kanazawa (Nov. 28) and Nagoya (Nov. 30) before rolling into Tokyo for four nights at Budokan Hall Dec. 2-3 and 6-7.

General onsales begin June 24 via promoter Udo's website (translation may be required). For more information, visit EricClapton.com and SteveWinwood.com.

Edited by SteveAJones

This is obviously my own opinion, but I would have to say that Jimmy Page is more of a GOD than Eric Clapton. This is my reasoning for saying that:

1. Jimmy Page has influenced more past, present and future guitar players than anyone else, ever. Jimi Hendrix is another very influential guitar player, however, how many guitar players emulate and sound like Hendrix? Steve Ray Vaughn? Yes, but who else? Same goes for Eric Clapton. Who sounds and plays like Clapton? None that I can recall at the moment. Yes, I am sure there are a couple, but enough to still call Eric Clapton, GOD? I don't think so.

2. Led Zeppelin is still a very relevant Band and still a Force to be reckoned with 31 years after the dissolution of the band.

3. I could name dozens and dozens of great guitar players in their own right who would say that Jimmy Page has played an important part in their own style and careers:

Joe Perry

Alex Lifeson

Ace Frehley

Joe Walsh

Steve Clark

Phil Collen

Randy Jackson

K.K. Downing

Glen Tipton

Vivian Campbell

Dave Murray

Adrian Smith

Slash

Dean DeLeo... the list can go on forever.

If more proof is needed on why I consider Jimmy Page more of a GOD, then Eric Clapton, I would be happy to provide it.

This is obviously my own opinion, but I would have to say that Jimmy Page is more of a GOD than Eric Clapton. This is my reasoning for saying that:

1. Jimmy Page has influenced more past, present and future guitar players than anyone else, ever. Jimi Hendrix is another very influential guitar player, however, how many guitar players emulate and sound like Hendrix? Steve Ray Vaughn? Yes, but who else? Same goes for Eric Clapton. Who sounds and plays like Clapton? None that I can recall at the moment. Yes, I am sure there are a couple, but enough to still call Eric Clapton, GOD? I don't think so.

2. Led Zeppelin is still a very relevant Band and still a Force to be reckoned with 31 years after the dissolution of the band.

3. I could name dozens and dozens of great guitar players in their own right who would say that Jimmy Page has played an important part in their own style and careers:

Joe Perry

Alex Lifeson

Ace Frehley

Joe Walsh

Steve Clark

Phil Collen

Randy Jackson

K.K. Downing

Glen Tipton

Vivian Campbell

Dave Murray

Adrian Smith

Slash

Dean DeLeo... the list can go on forever.

If more proof is needed on why I consider Jimmy Page more of a GOD, then Eric Clapton, I would be happy to provide it.

I'm disappointed in your post on many levels. First and foremost why you have chosen to take what I posted - "Clapton Is God" - literally defies comprehension. Do you not know the origins of that phrase? Secondly, this thread is merely meant to honor and chronicle EC, not devolve into a pointless my favorite guitarist is better than yours argument or equally pointless Top 10 lists. Finally, given he's just announced a major Japanese tour I submit to you EC is still very much a relevant artist - in fact he'll play more gigs in Tokyo that week than Jimmy has played anywhere in the world over the last ten years combined.

I'm disappointed in your post on many levels. First and foremost why you have chosen to take what I posted - "Clapton Is God" - literally defies comprehension. Do you not know the origins of that phrase? Secondly, this thread is merely meant to honor and chronicle EC, not devolve into a pointless my favorite guitarist is better than yours argument or equally pointless Top 10 lists. Finally, given he's just announced a major Japanese tour I submit to you EC is still very much a relevant artist - in fact he'll play more gigs in Tokyo that week than Jimmy has played anywhere in the world over the last ten years combined.

Never mind the quality, feel the width.