Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

Your ignorance has nothing to do with the fact that a thread you made has 40,000 views. I'm not sure how you've linked the two together?

Also, did you not see my post above about this being the other bands/music subforum? This part of the site is specifically intended for threads such as this. It's your problem if you don't want to widen your palette and just stick to Zeppelin. But don't come in here spouting your garbage about how Clapton hasn't been influential, it simply isn't up for debate.

Believe it or not, I happen to like Eric Clapton and alot of the Music he has made. "Cocaine" used to be my theme song, when a long time ago, I used to do alot of Cocaine.

About the topic I started that does have over 40,000 views, I am just saying that if I was so "ignorant" how come the topic I started still seems to be so Popular? Who would view and post replies from someone who happens to be so ignorant. If this is your justification, then I think you owe an apology to over 800 people.

Edited by lzzoso

About the topic I started that does have over 40,000 views, I am just saying that if I was so "ignorant" how come the topic I started still seems to be so Popular? Who would view and post replies from someone who happens to be so ignorant. If this is your justification, then I think you owe an apology to over 800 people.

Much as we all might like to further examine the intellectual horsepower required to initiate and maintain a Led Zeppelin on You Tube thread (or the equally popular Song Name Game Thread) I'm going to suggest one last time everyone interested stay on the topic of this thread: Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread before it gets uglier in here.

Steve, this is a great thread! Thank you for starting it.

lzzoso- you really should appreciate the history that will probably continue on this thread about Clapton. He is one of the greatest guitarist of all time. Being humble can be one of the most powerful emotions...just saying!

Much as we all might like to further examine the intellectual horsepower required to initiate and maintain a Led Zeppelin on You Tube thread (or the equally popular Song Name Game Thread) I'm going to suggest one last time everyone interested stay on the topic of this thread: Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread before it gets uglier in here.

Post of the thread Steve! Here is something a lot of you may not have heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW4bERql_Pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvW1NgPI6qw

If my ignorance is so alarming, how come I have started one of the most viewed and replied to topics on this Great and Awesome Led Zeppelin website.

Led Zeppelin or Related on YouTube?. 40,517 views and 1,154 replies in just over 24 months. I do not see any topics that you have started that even come close to that. If you consider me so ignorant, how come my topic still receives so many views and posts? I started that topic so that many other Led Zeppelin fans could have a place to see, hear and enjoy the Music of, of course, Led Zeppelin...

You're right. My threads suck. And for a long time I considered changing my user-name to Thread Killer, because as soon as I posted to a topic the thread would die. Scroll through the board and see all the threads where my post is the last one...it's like I had the plague, hehe.

And just last week I posted what has to be the WORST thread ever on this board. My Bloomsday thread got ZERO replies and I think less than 20 views total. That sucks.

So yes, I bow to your thread mastery.

Back to Clapton...I think this was my first exposure to Cream...at least in a visual sense, as I had heard my dad play their records. I love the interview bits with Clapton as he describes his "woman tone".

Edited by Strider

For anyone first discovering rock n' roll, or more specifically, blues-based rock n' roll, Eric Clapton's tenure with the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes will always be influential. In fact, he's right up there with the traditional bluesmen such as Robert Johnson as an influence. Just ask anyone that's ever picked up a guitar.

As for Derek Trucks, Clapton brought him, Robert Cray and Doyle Bramhall II (Arc Angels) into his band a few years ago for a tour. By surrounding himself with these hotshot guitar slingers, it forced Clapton himself to step up his game. Derek is a very versatile guitarist in his own right but he has also breathed new life into the Alllman Brothers Band. Derek's solo records have more in common with jazz and World Music than they do with anything blues-related. These days, in addition to touring with the Allmans, he also plays in a band with his wife, accomplished blues guitarist and vocalist Susan Tedeschi. If you haven't checked out any of his work (solo or otherwise), by all means do so, his fretwork is nothing short of mind blowing. Some have even said he surpasses the guitar prowess of Duane Allman.

I always get a kick out of that guy in the front row who's totally into Sunshine of your Love. Hair flying, trying to keep the beat, just totally into it. I bet he tells his grandkids today that he was there and saw this. Hell I would, this is something you'd never forget. Cream were epic.

Great post, thanks.

For those who have not seen this I hope you enjoy:-)

Eric Clapton Biography-Pt 1( His Early Roots and Influences,Robert Johnson,Keith Richards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZuUYBkBBk&feature=related

Eric Clapton Biography-Pt 2 (The Yardbirds,John Mayall's Bluesbreakers,Cream)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQ4BKJyI2E&feature=related

Eric Clapton Biography-Pt 4 (461 Ocean Blvd,The Crossroads Centre,Crossroads Guitar Festival)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeSTBP80-c4&feature=related

One of those days where I am listening to music and thinking about special times in my life. This song for sure has special meaning for me. One of the most beautiful songs IMHO. Funny how music can bring memories back to us like it was that time. Missing you Randy. Thank you Mr. Clapton for many great memories.

Eric Clapton- We're All The Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-P_f_-zkTU&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved Clapton's stuff up to EC was Here ('74), then I couldn't stand to listen to his lite rock stylings. I totally appreciate all the music he opened my eyes to (Bob Marley, Elmore James, J.J. Cale, etc) but he just wouldn't cut loose on lead guitar anymore. So I just got the bootleg of The Allman Brothers at the Beacon (3-19-09) with Eric as guest. He SHREDS on Dreams so f'ing hard that I'm just so pissed at him cuz he's wasted the last 30 years!!!!!

From The Onion:

Eric Clapton To Release New Album Inspired By Blues Music

NIB_Eric_Clapton_R_jpg_600x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

LOS ANGELES—Musician Eric Clapton announced Wednesday that his next album, Eric Clapton Plays The Blues, would be a collection of songs primarily influenced by blues music, a genre the 66-year-old guitarist said he enjoys very much. "I've always been interested in blues music, and this album will really explore that interest," Clapton told reporters, explaining that many of the new songs would feature long blues guitar solos, repeating 12-bar-blues chord structures, and lyrical themes centered around both getting and continuing to have the blues. "I'm fairly confident about the project, as I plan to sing with a sort of forlorn, bluesy quality in my voice, and I'll be playing a lot of E, A, and B chords, along with all the blue notes of the scale. Just pure and simple blues, really." Clapton later admitted that while each track would definitely be inspired by blues music, the final product might actually be more of a blues-rock album.

The way I see it, Jimmy Page can do what Clapton does anytime he so chooses, Clapton on the other hand in my view was never capable, is not capable, nor will he ever be capable of doing what Page does. Page is God, Clapton is just a guy who plays boring guitar.

I'm not looking to argue here, but I must say I find this point of view to be simplistic and dismissive. Clapton is more than just a guitarist, he's a singer, a lyricist, a producer and so forth. More strikingly, he continues to be.