Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

He gets big points in my book, for being like Plant and (to a less extent) JPJ: always carrying on, putting out new music, continuing to play live whatever the risks may be.

He may not be God (obviously he's not, esp not on a LZ forum), but he is an incredibly gifted player. One of the best.

My dad was a security guard at rich stadium in Buffalo, he saw Clapton so drunk that he had to be carried almost to his car, and after that he just fell over in the car. In Claptons book, he actually mentinons this occurance. Also what I want to know is, how could a person play decently when drunk.

My dad was a security guard at rich stadium in Buffalo, he saw Clapton so drunk that he had to be carried almost to his car, and after that he just fell over in the car. In Claptons book, he actually mentinons this occurance. Also what I want to know is, how could a person play decently when drunk.

Many rock guitarists have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Eric's Japanese tour set to start in less than two weeks, the magazine racks are filling up:

Young Guitar Special Issue: Clapton & Friends (February 2014) (Japan)

201402YoungGuitarClaptonampFriendsJapanF

Kawade Eric Clapton (February 2014) (Japan)

201402KawadeEricClaptonJapanFrontCover.j

Player Young Mates Music (March 2014) (Japan)

201403PlayerYoungMatesMusicJapanFrontCov

Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

• 2 weeks later...

Opening Night of the 2014 Japanese Tour

Budokan

Tokyo, Japan

February 18, 2014

01. Tell The Truth

02. Key To The Highway
03. Pretending
04. Hoochie Coochie
05. Honest Man
06. Wonderful Tonight
07. Sheriff / Midnight
08. Driftin' Blues
09. Nobody Knows You
10. Alabama Woman
11. Layla
12. Tears In Heaven
13. How Long
14. Before You Accuse Me
15. Queen Of Spades
16. Cocaine

Encore
17.High Time

Were you there, Steve? If so, was Layla acoustic or electric?

I am confirmed for the Yokohama show on Sunday and awaiting word on the finale at Budokan in Tokyo on Feb 28th.

I have provided a link to the audio recording of the first night (above).

Was "I Shot the Sheriff" done in a reggae way? I have heard him do it so it's more poppy, but I love the reggae tinged versions better.

I have provided a link to the audio recording of the first night (above).

CLAPTON IN JAPAN: TOKYO NIGHT 2

Published // 21.FEB.14

For the second of four concerts at Tokyo's Nippon Budokan - and Eric Clapton's 201st concert in the country since 1974 - the guitar legend rearranged the songs in the set making for a more powerful show according to fans in attendance. Opening with "Pretending", Eric and his band presented 18 songs in 1 hour 50 minutes. Highlights included "After Midnight," "Honest Man," "Driftin'", "How Long" (sung by Paul Carack), and "Crossroads". Several fans told Where's Eric! that the evening's standout number was "Little Queen of Spades" continuing the trend of the past few tours. Tsuzuki H concurred and said "Eric's solo thundered in the hall".

The big news out of the arena was reported by Dave L who travelled from England to attend the Tokyo concerts. A flyer made available at the venue indicated that once again WOW WOW TV will film one of Eric's upcoming concerts in Japan. It will be broadcast in April 2014.

Eric is back at the Budokan on February 21 and 28 with stops in Yokohama, Nagoya and Osaka scheduled in between. From Japan, he heads to Thailand, Singapore, Dubai and Bahrain where he'll wrap the first leg of the tour on March 8. Later in the year, Eric will bring his tour to the U.S., U.K, Germany, Austria and Poland.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EC's first Glasgow gig in three years the other night was temporarily halted during the encore for technical issues. Naturally, the UK press has sensationalized the incident (see below). No artist is obliged to perform an encore; demands for a full refund seem well over the top.

Fans' fury as Eric Clapton walks off Hydro stage early

Fans voiced their anger when Eric Clapton's first concert in Glasgow for three years ended with the rock legend walking off stage early.

Russell_Leadbetter_210x210.jpg
Senior features writer
Sunday 22/06/2014
1403421930-780.jpg

Thousands had paid around £60 a ticket to see the show at the SSE Hydro, which started off well with Clapton and his band, which included Andy Fairweather-Low and Paul Carrack, running through some blues standards and a handful of Clapton's own hits, such as Layla and Tears in Heaven.

Near the end though, as the band launched into JJ Cale's Cocaine, they only got a minute or two into it before Clapton unslung his guitar and made his way off the stage. The rest of the band, seemingly taken by surprise, followed suit.

After two minutes, the musicians returned, Clapton saying briefly: "Sorry about that."

The band abandoned Cocaine and played what turned out to be the final number, High Time We Went, with Carrack taking vocals.

The song over, Clapton picked up his jacket and walked off stage without so much as a 'goodnight'.

As the house lights went up, there was a chorus of booing from the audience.

It is not known what caused Clapton's strop though it may have had something to do with the sound. Some fans reported hearing an echo at the rear of the hall for parts of the show.

One confrontation near the mixing desk saw a male fan in a Clapton tour T shirt argue with a steward who asked him to quieten down.

Several fans at the venue spoke loudly of demanding a refund. Stewards had to deal with a large number of upset customers but were powerless to placate them.

It was a sobering and entirely unexpected end to what had earlier been a fine concert.

The energetic Scottish support act, Hunter and the Bear, had earlier described Clapton as "one hell of a headliner", and so it turned out.

One fan who was at the gig, Matthew Waddell, 18, posted on social media: "Absolutely disgraced at Eric Clapton for leaving the stage halfway through the set without word of warning or anything and for the Hydro for not saying WTF was happening!"

Another angry fan at the concert said: "I've been going to see this guy for 15 years and I've never seen anything like this.It's f***ing ridiculous that he should walk off the stage like that. It was real toys-out-of-the pram stuff."

A female fan in her 30s, who spoke with a Dutch accent, said she and her companion did not understand why a major star like Clapton should have terminated a concert so abruptly.

Soon after, the Hydro's Facebook page was alive with comments from highly irate customers, who all said they felt short-changed.

One, Wojtek Sromek, said bitterly: "For a guy who travelled across half Europe to see Clapton at the SSE I feel truly unsatisfied.

"I believe some explanation is necessary if you want people to treat you seriously."

June Ramsay said: "I never post on FB but I cannot say how disappointed I am - no explanation which (for us was) definitely required.

"I live in Glasgow so only had to lay for tickets - which were dear enough - but totally feel for people who had travelled from all over to see him."

Someone called Glasgow John hit out: "A disgrace Clapton acting like a spoilt wean throwing the dummy oot the pram. Everyone should demand a refund."

Carrel Hendrie told the Hydro: "Think we are due an explanation as to what happened tonight. As it is there was no announcement made in the arena to apologise. No apologies on Facebook, Twitter or your website...poor customer relations. Are we due a partial refund?"

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/u/fans-fury-as-eric-clapton-walks-off-hydro-stage-early.1403421930

Edited by SteveAJones

Clapton apologises for gig problems

10:03am Monday 23rd June 2014 in

National Entertainment News© Press Association 2014

Eric Clapton has apologised after he walked off stage during a show in Scotland.

Fans were reportedly left disappointed after the Layla star, 69, left the stage mid-way through the song Cocaine during the concert at the Glasgow SSE Hydro.

However, the rock legend's spokesman has now explained that the unexpected break was due to technical issues, reported the Daily Mirror.

The rep said: "Unfortunately last night we experienced a steadily worsening technical problem with the PA system that the band battled with throughout the show.

"But by the last song of the set it became unbearable on stage and Eric was unable to complete that number.

"During the encore break we were able to reset and the band finished as planned with the last number.

"The usual touring set length runs at 1hr 35 mins so in fact the full set was performed apart from the entirety of Cocaine which had to be curtailed.

"Eric is nevertheless sorry for the break in the concert."

A statement issued by the Hydro said: "'The production team for last night's performance suffered a technical issue which resulted in the concert ending earlier than anticipated.

"By the time the venue had been made aware of the circumstances patrons were already leaving the bowl. However, our stewards and staff did their best to convey this information as it became known."

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/uk_national_entertainment/11294103.Clapton_apologises_for_gig_problems/

Edited by SteveAJones