Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

Eric Clapton reflects on his past and reveals his future plans in the new issue of Uncut, dated August 2014 (Take 207), and out tomorrow (June 24).

As well as explaining that “the road has become unbearable” for him, and paying tribute to his late friend, JJ Cale, the guitarist sheds light on the current status of Cream.

“I haven’t spoken to Jack [bruce] or Ginger [baker] for quite a time,” says Clapton. “I don’t think there’s been any line of dialogue between any of us – or between me and them, that is to say – since the American affair [the trio’s Madison Square Garden shows in 2005].

“After that I was pretty convinced that we had gone as far as we could without someone getting killed. At this time in my life I don’t want blood on my hands! I don’t want to be part of some kind of tragic confrontation.”

http://www.uncut.co.uk/eric-clapton/eric-clapton-a-cream-reunion-i-don-t-want-blood-on-my-hands-news

Edited by SteveAJones

This from Hoops McCann:

I was at the Glasgow show. There's a huge amount of misinformation going around the press and even on Twitter from people who say they were there. The, "he didn't even apologise" stuff is nonsense!

There was a low level feed-back hum coming from something on stage now and again. At the start of 'Cocaine' it got really loud. Eric stopped, shook his head, put his guitar on it's stand and walked off with the band following. The audience were actually very supportive at this point and were cheering for him to return. He walked back on said "sorry about that". They played one more song, 'High Time We Went' by Joe Cocker and walked right off again. House lights went up and the crew start tearing down right away. THEN the crowd started to boo.

ECs usual set runs approx. 90 mins.. so despite what people are saying he didn't "storm off halfway through the gig". We got the whole set except for once song we've heard a million times before. Other than that it really was an amazing performance. My fifth time seeing him and his acoustic set was the best I've seen yet.

90-100 mins is perfectly fine for a laid back seated blues gig such as Clapton's. It's not like he's dancing around the place like our Mick and Springsteen getting the crowd moving. People need to judge each concert and artist on their own merits and and stop comparing. You don't go to a Clapton gig expecting a Paul McCartney or Rolling Stones show. Go see them if you want them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've asked this question before here but it bears repeating. Why do journalists get it wrong so often when it comes to rock music?

EC's first Glasgow gig in three years the other night was temporarily halted during the encore for technical issues. Naturally, the UK press has sensationalized the incident (see below). No artist is obliged to perform an encore; demands for a full refund seem well over the top.

Fans' fury as Eric Clapton walks off Hydro stage early

Fans voiced their anger when Eric Clapton's first concert in Glasgow for three years ended with the rock legend walking off stage early.

Russell_Leadbetter_210x210.jpg
Senior features writer
Sunday 22/06/2014
1403421930-780.jpg

Thousands had paid around £60 a ticket to see the show at the SSE Hydro, which started off well with Clapton and his band, which included Andy Fairweather-Low and Paul Carrack, running through some blues standards and a handful of Clapton's own hits, such as Layla and Tears in Heaven.

Near the end though, as the band launched into JJ Cale's Cocaine, they only got a minute or two into it before Clapton unslung his guitar and made his way off the stage. The rest of the band, seemingly taken by surprise, followed suit.

After two minutes, the musicians returned, Clapton saying briefly: "Sorry about that."

The band abandoned Cocaine and played what turned out to be the final number, High Time We Went, with Carrack taking vocals.

The song over, Clapton picked up his jacket and walked off stage without so much as a 'goodnight'.

As the house lights went up, there was a chorus of booing from the audience.

It is not known what caused Clapton's strop though it may have had something to do with the sound. Some fans reported hearing an echo at the rear of the hall for parts of the show.

One confrontation near the mixing desk saw a male fan in a Clapton tour T shirt argue with a steward who asked him to quieten down.

Several fans at the venue spoke loudly of demanding a refund. Stewards had to deal with a large number of upset customers but were powerless to placate them.

It was a sobering and entirely unexpected end to what had earlier been a fine concert.

The energetic Scottish support act, Hunter and the Bear, had earlier described Clapton as "one hell of a headliner", and so it turned out.

One fan who was at the gig, Matthew Waddell, 18, posted on social media: "Absolutely disgraced at Eric Clapton for leaving the stage halfway through the set without word of warning or anything and for the Hydro for not saying WTF was happening!"

Another angry fan at the concert said: "I've been going to see this guy for 15 years and I've never seen anything like this.It's f***ing ridiculous that he should walk off the stage like that. It was real toys-out-of-the pram stuff."

A female fan in her 30s, who spoke with a Dutch accent, said she and her companion did not understand why a major star like Clapton should have terminated a concert so abruptly.

Soon after, the Hydro's Facebook page was alive with comments from highly irate customers, who all said they felt short-changed.

One, Wojtek Sromek, said bitterly: "For a guy who travelled across half Europe to see Clapton at the SSE I feel truly unsatisfied.

"I believe some explanation is necessary if you want people to treat you seriously."

June Ramsay said: "I never post on FB but I cannot say how disappointed I am - no explanation which (for us was) definitely required.

"I live in Glasgow so only had to lay for tickets - which were dear enough - but totally feel for people who had travelled from all over to see him."

Someone called Glasgow John hit out: "A disgrace Clapton acting like a spoilt wean throwing the dummy oot the pram. Everyone should demand a refund."

Carrel Hendrie told the Hydro: "Think we are due an explanation as to what happened tonight. As it is there was no announcement made in the arena to apologise. No apologies on Facebook, Twitter or your website...poor customer relations. Are we due a partial refund?"

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/u/fans-fury-as-eric-clapton-walks-off-hydro-stage-early.1403421930

right is any one ordering the JJ Gale album... I`ve been on amazon pre-ordered buy copy... there are a few classic guitarist I admirie which you can chat about here on this forum... they are

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Peter Green

Johnny Winter

Joe Perry

Mike Bloomfield

Slash

Nuno Bettencourt

Lenny Kravitz

Veron Reid

Muddy Waters

BB King

Albert King

Freddie King

Eral KING

Steve Copper

SRV

Warren Haynes

Brian May

right on amazing guitarist great rock `n` roll music... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This fall, the tour documentary "Planes Trains And Eric" will be released by Eagle Rock Entertainment but fans can check out the trailer from today. The film will offer an unrivaled peek into the world of one of today's greatest performers. Filmed during the Far and Middle Eastern Leg of Clapton's 2014 tour, it features 13 full-length performances intercut with interviews with Eric, his band and crew along with "fly on the wall" film of soundchecks and other aspects of life on the road as they travel from gig to gig by planes and trains.

"Planes Trains And Eric" will be released on 22 October in Japan, 31 October in Germany, 3 November in the UK and 4 November in the US.

Edited by SteveAJones

Clapton sideman Andy Fairweather Low was in town last week:

^^^

The first song in that feature is Hard Hat Boogie from his Mega Shebang album released in 1980. Come to find out it seems that album is still only available on vinyl. I would really like to hear Hard Hat Boogie via You Tube or whatever. If there's anyone out there that can upload Hard Hat Boogie to the net for me to hear I would really appreciate it.

I am also hoping the Cotton Club management can somehow be persuaded to release all the performance footage for a possible live dvd title. I've been in touch with Andy's manager and hope to follow up with him next week concerning the possibilities.

• 6 months later...

Eric Clapton at 70

Eric Clapton turns 70 on Monday, a notable achievement for anybody.

But this birthday boy can claim a far more impressive triumph at this point in his life. After a 50-year career, Clapton stands as the most consistently huge-selling guitar hero of all time.

No other classic rock axman has maintained such a sustained hold on the charts, having scored Top Ten albums, if not Top Five, for half a century, right up through last year’s tribute album, “The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale,” that rose to No. 2.

Read more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/guitar-god-eric-clapton-turns-70-article-1.2161224

Edited by SteveAJones

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

True story... I was having a hard time falling asleep the other night. So I put on vh1classic. Luckily, they were showing  a recent Eric Clapton concert. Even with the amazing Steve Gadd on drums, I was nodding off in a matter of minutes.. Slept like a baby. They should put his DVD's next to the ambien at CVS.. Slowhand the #1 cure for insomnia.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like Clapton's days could be over; news today posted.    This seems like surprising news.  He did a bunch of Royal Albert shows not long ago

Eric Clapton struggling to play guitar because of damage to his nervous system 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/eric-clapton-struggling-to-play-guitar-because-of-damage-to-his/

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...