Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

I'm guessing "She Rides" wasn't commercially available until the deluxe edition of Clapton was released in 2006 and most likely wouldn't get played on most commercial rock n' roll stations in this day and age because so few would play such a deep cut. I know there's still some true AOR stations out there but they're few and far between these days.

• 2 months later...

2013 UK Tour Announcement

Celebrating his 50th year as a professional musician, Eric Clapton has announced a limited number of 2013 UK concerts including five nights at London’s famed Royal Albert Hall. After signing with the Yardbirds in 1963, Clapton began a career as a professional musician that has seen numerous bands, an abundance of albums, countless worldwide sold out shows, an impressive array of accolades, unwavering critical acclaim and his consistent display of legendary guitar work. These concerts will mark his return to the stage after spending 2012 in the studio working on a new album to be released in early 2013.

Clapton has assembled an impressive band for the 2013 dates which will consist of long-time touring partners: Doyle Bramhall II (guitar), Steve Jordan (drums), Chris Stainton (piano and keyboards), and Willie Weeks (bass), along with newcomers Paul Carrack (organ and keyboards) and Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar). Michelle John and Sharon White will join the touring band again as backing vocalists.

Tickets go on sale Friday, September 21st with an EC Access Fan Club pre-sale beginning Wednesday, September 19th. Check local ticket agencies for availability and pricing.

2013 UK TOUR DATES

May 13 - Birmingham, UK - LG Arena

May 14 - Manchester, UK - Manchester Arena

May 17 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall

May 18 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall

May 20 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall

May 21 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall

May 23 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall

Pre-sale tickets for Eric Clapton’s UK tour begin 9/19 at 9am local venue time. Get exclusive access here: http://www.ecaccess.cc/.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone given Clapton's new album a listen? It's quite laid back and is mostly made up of covers, but I like it. There are a couple of original songs on it, Gotta Get Over and Every Little Thing. Gotta Get Over was released as a single and is obviously the standout track on the album. It's got a great riff and some nice guitar work from Slowhand. I hope he plays it when I see him live this month. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I know this might draw some ire, but is Eric Clapton even "relevant" these days?

I've found when most people say relevant they mean either "popular" or "doing anything". Eric's just released another new solo album and is touring the world. The days are gone when Clapton is God was scrawled on the walls, but even at 68 the man can play and his music is still appreciated by millions.

kingzoso ^^ Relevant, it's CLAPTON!!! He certainly has no problem packing the house. I think musicians like Clapton will always be relevant IMHO. I am so glad I went to see him again. He is playing great. The audience was into it. There were a few younger people next to me and they kept saying they couldn't believe it was Clapton..made me smile:-)

Yes, Steve, it was great^^ :yesnod:

Edited by Deborah J

The reason I asked if Eric Clapton is still "relevant" these days in 2013 is because I read that his new album is mostly 'cover' songs of other people's work. Not that that seems to make a difference to die-hard Clapton fans but it seems a bit suspect to me. I believe that Mr. Clapton still has many years to go, so why make a "new" album that consists mainly of cover songs?

I considered seeing him when his tour came to Dallas, Texas, but decided against going after seeing that out of 22 songs in his setlist, I would have only really been familiar with about 12 of those 22 songs.

No offense intended to all the Eric Clapton fans out there. "SWLBAR", "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and "Badge" are some of My favorite songs.

The reason I asked if Eric Clapton is still "relevant" these days in 2013 is because I read that his new album is mostly 'cover' songs of other people's work. Not that that seems to make a difference to die-hard Clapton fans but it seems a bit suspect to me. I believe that Mr. Clapton still has many years to go, so why make a "new" album that consists mainly of cover songs?

Because that's what he wants to do. All the songs he covers are songs he knows and loves that he's listened to his whole life. After such a long and fruitful career, Clapton has nothing to prove to anyone. He can do whatever he wants. He's been writing and perfroming for fifty years; don't you think that he can just take a break and cover some of his favorite songs?

The reason I asked if Eric Clapton is still "relevant" these days in 2013 is because I read that his new album is mostly 'cover' songs of other people's work. I believe that Mr. Clapton still has many years to go, so why make a "new" album that consists mainly of cover songs?

His 16th studio album, 'Me and Mr. Johnson' is also all cover songs and was released nearly ten years ago. As another mentioned, every now and then Eric records material he likes.

• 2 weeks later...
Richards joins Clapton at Crossroads Festival
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY | Associated Press – 5 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival has become the mecca for riff worshippers, so it was appropriate that guitar deity Keith Richards made a surprise appearance to perform with Clapton.

The Rolling Stone received perhaps the most sustained standing ovation of the night as he joined his old pal toward the end of Crossroads, a two-night concert festival at Madison Square Garden that brought together a dazzling array of guitar masters, from John Mayer to Jeff Beck to legends like Buddy Guy, and of course, Clapton and Richards.

Richards — whose Stones announced another tour earlier this month — flashed his typical wry smile to the crowd before joining Clapton in playing the blues standard and Clapton favorite "Key to the Highway. "

"Now we're gonna rock it up," Richards said before launching into "Sweet Little Rock N' Roller."

Richards' appearance was only the beginning of Clapton's hour-plus long set, which included hits like "Crossroads" and "Little Queen of Spades." It also featured other special guests, like Robbie Robertson, who sang the classic "I Shall Be Released."

"I just want to say it's an honor to be here in honor of Crossroads and Eric Clapton," said Robertson.

Crossroads Guitar Festival, which benefits Clapton's Crossroads Centre for substance abuse in Antigua, has been held every three years since 2004; this Friday and Saturday was its first at Madison Square Garden.

The show lasted almost five hours, with each performer showcasing his own particular brand of wizardry on the instrument (all the headliners were men, though there were a few women as supporting players in the program).

Clapton joined Los Lobos and Robert Cray early on and Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks played an acoustic set and brought out Gregg Allman. Keb' Mo' and Taj Mahal paid tribute to the blues in their acoustic set, while newcomer Gary Clark Jr. had the crowd on its feet throughout most of his electrifying set, which was followed by another fiery set, this one by Jeff Beck.

Other highlights a performance by blues great Buddy Guy an a set from Vince Gill, Keith Urban and Albert Lee.

"It's one of the greatest things that ever happened, getting this invitation from Eric Clapton," Gill gushed onstage.

The night ended with just about all of the evening's performers coming back on stage for a jam session with Clapton.

"See you in three years," Clapton told the crowd before exiting the stage.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/richards-joins-clapton-crossroads-festival-064148063.html

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

I know some aren't as crazy about Clapton's sound in the '80's, I used to be one of those people, but I've been converted, I've really been digging the tasty solos (and other musicians) on this track lately - great stuff.

I know this is a thread praising Clapton, but just out of curiosity how many here think someone like Clapton present day could overcome statements made in public like the ones made at his 1976 Birmingham concert and continue on with a very successful career many years afterward?

• 3 weeks later...

Something on a more personal note, according to the UK Daily Mail, Eric is to be a grandfather for the first time at the end of this month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325313/RICHARD-KAY-Eric-Claptons-gig-grandfather.html#ixzz2TTBH2bvq

Best remembered for his hell-raising and womanising ways as a guitar ‘god’, former first-division wild man of rock Eric Clapton is about to achieve a rather more sedate sobriquet: grandad.

He will don the mantle of ultimate respectability when his eldest child, Ruth Clapton, is safely delivered of her first baby, and her father’s first grandchild, later this month.

Says a family friend: ‘The baby is due any day and Eric is ecstatic.’

At the age of 68 and happily married to his second wife, Melia McEnery — she and Eric have three young daughters — the man they call Slowhand has given a firm thumbs up to his new role.

Ruth, 28, is the product of Eric’s tempestuous liaison with Yve Kelly, with whom he enjoyed an adulterous affair in Montserrat while still married to model Pattie Boyd back in the Eighties.

Eric had stolen Pattie from his chum George Harrison but, remarkably, stayed friends with the former Beatle.

Despite once referring to her ‘dysfunctional’ family circumstances, Ruth has always featured strongly in Eric’s life before and after his stoic rehabilitation.

Two years ago, he not only gave Ruth away but performed at her party when she married architect Dean Bartlett. The happy event was held at Eric’s Surrey mansion. He also loaned them his yacht for their honeymoon.