Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

I saw him last week in Birmingham, good show but not that inspiring for me. About time he dropped the acoustic Layla and Wonderful tonight ( reinforced by several avid Clapton fans who were there with me). He had very little rapport with the audience during the set, only spoke to say than you after each number and to introduce band members.Granted the audience were not the most excitable but I had the feeling he was going through the motions with songs he can play in his sleep. Perhaps he is winding down as he says he will stop touring in a couple of years. I would have preferred a smaller intimate venue, more blues tunes on the night.

Eric Clapton, interviewed by Mojo Magazine,

"Speaking of which, you're not a big fan of Led Zeppelin. Why?"

" I couldn't take the high-pitch singing. There wasn't much about Zeppelin that I liked. It's never been easy to dissociate myself from the political connections that when Cream folded, Led Zeppelin came along. My part of walking away from Cream was to dismantle that aspect of music. I thought that I had that much power that I could make that kind of music go away, just by leaving the band. Sure enough, something of that ilk came right through the door. I wanted everything to sound like The Band from then on...."

Stupid reasons if you ask me.. But it's probably just as stupid that I never was that big a Clapton / Cream fan because of this crap.. That and the fact that 90% of his music bores me to tears..

Eric Clapton wanted it to all stop because HE didn't want to do it anymore ... well guess what? It didn't happen. Besides Zeppelin had more style, variety and a better overall sound than Cream ever did..

"Speaking of which, you're not a big fan of Led Zeppelin. Why?"" I couldn't take the high-pitch singing. There wasn't much about Zeppelin that I liked. It's never been easy to dissociate myself from the political connections that when Cream folded, Led Zeppelin came along. My part of walking away from Cream was to dismantle that aspect of music. I thought that I had that much power that I could make that kind of music go away, just by leaving the band. Sure enough, something of that ilk came right through the door. I wanted everything to sound like The Band from then on...."

Stupid reasons if you ask me.. But it's probably just as stupid that I never was that big a Clapton / Cream fan because of this crap.. That and the fact that 90% of his music bores me to tears..

Eric Clapton wanted it to all stop because HE didn't want to do it anymore ... well guess what? It didn't happen. Besides Zeppelin had more style, variety and a better overall sound than Cream ever did..

the chase, what did you think you would accomplish by posting that quote? You're just going to start an argument about who's better, Cream or Led Zeppelin. In my opinion, I think that Led Zeppelin was a better band overall than Cream, but that doesn't mean that Cream wasn't awesome as well. Led Zeppelin had their style, and Cream had theirs.

So, Eric Clapton doesn't particularly like Led Zeppelin. I do. No big deal, I still enjoy Clapton's music immensely. Obviously Clapton didn't dislike Led Zeppelin enough to not play Stairway to Heaven with Jimmy on the ARMS tour in the 80's.

the chase, what did you think you would accomplish by posting that quote? You're just going to start an argument about who's better, Cream or Led Zeppelin. In my opinion, I think that Led Zeppelin was a better band overall than Cream, but that doesn't mean that Cream wasn't awesome as well. Led Zeppelin had their style, and Cream had theirs.

So, Eric Clapton doesn't particularly like Led Zeppelin. I do. No big deal, I still enjoy Clapton's music immensely. Obviously Clapton didn't dislike Led Zeppelin enough to not play Stairway to Heaven with Jimmy on the ARMS tour in the 80's.

It accomplished me posting something that bothers me about Eric Clapton.

If it doesn't bother you ... no big deal.

That he doesn't like Led Zeppelin is secondary. I find it very pompous of him to think he could have stopped an entire movement in music because HE stops doing it... That Jimmy Page had the nerve to put together a Heavy band. It's bullshit.

Since when do people not post things here that they have an issue with?

Even if it's about the amazingly amazing Eric Clapton.

The quote is from a recent article from an issue of Mojo currently on magazine racks ... so it's relevant.

"Speaking of which, you're not a big fan of Led Zeppelin. Why?"

" I couldn't take the high-pitch singing. There wasn't much about Zeppelin that I liked. It's never been easy to dissociate myself from the political connections that when Cream folded, Led Zeppelin came along. My part of walking away from Cream was to dismantle that aspect of music. I thought that I had that much power that I could make that kind of music go away, just by leaving the band. Sure enough, something of that ilk came right through the door. I wanted everything to sound like The Band from then on...."

Eric's a blues purist and always has been. I can understand why he felt Led Zeppelin's blues were not authentic. Keith Richards doesn't like Led Zeppelin either. Regardless, this particular thread is meant to honor Eric and his music, not debate the merits of Led Zeppelin. You've got hundreds of more appropriate Led Zeppelin threads to choose from for that. For those who may find 90% of Eric's music boring don't bother posting to a thread meant to honor him.

Edited by SteveAJones

Eric's a blues purist and always has been. I can understand why he felt Led Zeppelin's blues were not authentic. Keith Richards doesn't like Led Zeppelin either. Regardless, this particular thread is meant to honor Eric and his music, not debate the merits of Led Zeppelin. You've got hundreds of more appropriate Led Zeppelin threads to choose from for that. For those who may find 90% of Eric's music boring don't bother posting to a thread meant to honor him.

Steve, with all due respect, you can't create a thread and then tell people what they can and can't post on it...especially when it is from a very recent interview.

But I will bow out at this point.

I didn't realize I had to honor Slowhand to post here.

Steve, with all due respect, you can't create a thread and then tell people what they can and can't post on it...especially when it is from a very recent interview.

But I will bow out at this point.

I didn't realize I had to honor Slowhand to post here.

I see your point. What you posted was relevant, and you're free to express your opinions. But, honestly, if you disliked Led Zeppelin, would you post about it in a Led Zeppelin fan thread? If you say, "I don't like Eric Clapton because of this" in a Eric Clapton fan thread, some people are going to get defensive.

I see your point. What you posted was relevant, and you're free to express your opinions. But, honestly, if you disliked Led Zeppelin, would you post about it in a Led Zeppelin fan thread? If you say, "I don't like Eric Clapton because of this" in a Eric Clapton fan thread, some people are going to get defensive.

Well if I went on ericclapton.con and started a "Jimmy Page is the greatest living Guitarist" thread.....not all responses would be positive. How can you expect this..? The cover of the Mojo article I referenced is in this thread ... 1 page back...

Maybe I should have let his comments speak for themselves, but I am sick of the 3 members of Cream always bashing Led Zeppelin... Eric Clapton is actually the least critical... Bruce and Baker are very bitter..

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, kenog. Those are some great early Eric offstage shots.

was looking at a Facebook page called "Original Modernists 1959 -1966" and there are a couple of photos of a very young Eric. They appear to be the copyright of Sarah Jennifer Nagle.

I am putting them on here for Eric fans who haven't seen them before.

Well if I went on ericclapton.con and started a "Jimmy Page is the greatest living Guitarist" thread.....not all responses would be positive. How can you expect this..? The cover of the Mojo article I referenced is in this thread ... 1 page back...

Maybe I should have let his comments speak for themselves, but I am sick of the 3 members of Cream always bashing Led Zeppelin... Eric Clapton is actually the least critical... Bruce and Baker are very bitter..

I completely agree with everything you just said and this is just my opinion.

I think that Mr. Eric Clapton is too over-rated in My opinion. Yes, he is a great guitar player, there is no denying that. I just think that he is giving too much praise.

Jimmy Page is and will always be a more influential and innovative guitar player than Eric Clapton.

I think the fact that the members of Cream (who dissolved in late 1968, over 45 years ago) became very jealous of the rapid success of Led Zeppelin is more apparent. Cream was a big and popular English band that had success but never the amount of success, fame, wealth, popularity, etc... that Led Zeppelin garnered.

Within one year of Led Zeppelin's launch, they had already sold over 1 million dollars worth of records. After 2 years that number would triple, so on and so forth.

Led Zeppelin has sold over 200 million records world-wide. I do not think that Cream or Clapton is anywhere near 1/10th of that.

I think these facts about Led Zeppelin would make anyone jealous and not just Eric Clapton and Cream, but also Keith Richard and Mick Jagger, et all.

Could EC or KR ever play like this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spbSP2UyPUY&feature=share&list=PLBE5FD707C94FD966

The answer is not and never. James Patrick Page will forever be remembered at the Greatest Musician of ALL-TIME!!!

Edited by kingzoso

Led Zeppelin has sold over 200 million records world-wide. I do not think that Cream or Clapton is anywhere near 1/10th of that.

1/10th of 200 million is 20 million. Eric Clapton has sold approximately 40 to 50 million albums, an astounding figure for a blues guitarist.

I like Clapton, and understand the influence he had on other musicians and how that influence helps others create, but let’s be honest, his music was always rather lazy sounding and he never seemed to reach out to the next horizon and instead seems to always be looking back. Clapton is God because the dude from Rolling Stone says so, and that is about it…

I will say he has good taste in women!

I like Clapton, and understand the influence he had on other musicians and how that influence helps others create, but let’s be honest, his music was always rather lazy sounding and he never seemed to reach out to the next horizon and instead seems to always be looking back. Clapton is God because the dude from Rolling Stone says so, and that is about it…

I will say he has good taste in women!

The phrase "Clapton Is God" in public discourse preceded the first issue of Rolling Stone by at least five years.

EC is a blues purist and as such has never been one for duck walks and lazers.

1/10th of 200 million is 20 million. Eric Clapton has sold approximately 40 to 50 million albums, an astounding figure for a blues guitarist.

How many of those 40 - 50 million sold were the Blues standard "I Shot The Sheriff"?

He's very talented and has had great success ... even without the duck walk and lasers.

Peter Greene is a blues purist.. Eric Clapton has dabbled in *gasp* pop, rock .. and Michelob..

This certainly helped his mainstream success in the process..not a knock either.

And his tune Tears in Heaven would most likely be the reason for album sales and digital downloads from the last 22 years as that song has become sort of a radio standard. Clapton is talented, but he always struck me as more a covers artist or tribute band kind of guy instead of a legitimate lead 6 string guy. I have his small body of work from the Yardbirds and Cream and like it, but it doesn’t blow me away with excitement, nor does it let me zone out on some mind bender.

Either case, he made some big money. I respect how he has kept himself strong with what happened to his son. Speaking as a father, I can honestly say that nothing would be more devastating for a father to lose a son and I’m thankful for my boy every night when he goes to sleep and when he wakes up in the morning.

Or anything else besides blues covers...

Charles, you are just being ridiculous. Take the time to delve into his complete discography, you'll be amazed by the amount of original compositions.

And his tune Tears in Heaven would most likely be the reason for album sales and digital downloads from the last 22 years as that song has become sort of a radio standard. Clapton is talented, but he always struck me as more a covers artist or tribute band kind of guy instead of a legitimate lead 6 string guy. I have his small body of work from the Yardbirds and Cream and like it, but it doesn’t blow me away with excitement, nor does it let me zone out on some mind bender.

Either case, he made some big money. I respect how he has kept himself strong with what happened to his son. Speaking as a father, I can honestly say that nothing would be more devastating for a father to lose a son and I’m thankful for my boy every night when he goes to sleep and when he wakes up in the morning.

EC confesses in word and song he has squandered many blessings in life and to me it makes his blues all the more poignant.

Hi Charles^^

Music is a personal feeling. So it either moves you or it doesn't. Have you listened to most of Clapton. He has 42 or more albums released. Just talking about this I think I'll put his "E.C. Was Here" album on for a spin :peace:

Kenog: Is that Charlotte Martin or Patty Boyd?

Also, none of those guys can wear lip gloss like Jimmy Page or Robert Plant (Earl's Court 1975).

Let the tomatoes fly.

I love Eric Clapton because I love the blues, and he plays the blues very, very well. JMO

Debs: I also love "EC Was Here"