Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The phrase "Clapton Is God" in public discourse preceded the first issue of Rolling Stone by at least five years.

EC is a blues purist and as such has never been one for duck walks and lazers.

Would you consider, Layla, and In the White Room, blues songs? I don't but then I'm not a blues expert.

Would you consider, Layla, and White Room, blues songs? I don't but then I'm not a blues expert.

I do, absolutely so. Of course, there are leanings toward mainstream rock in these and other Clapton songs, but to me the essence is the blues. "Layla, you've got me on my knees...beggin' darlin' please...ease my worried mind" is the blues; we could quibble over how true to the blues it is.

Eric Clapton Is Coming Back to Japan

According to an official announcement, Eric Clapton will tour Japan for the first time in two and a half years to play a total of seven dates at the Budokan, Yokahama Arena, Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium in Nagoya and Osaka-jo Hall from Feb 18 to 28, 2014. Clapton, who is thought to have a special fondness for Japan, has toured the country 19 times and has played in front of 1.7 million Japanese fans since his first visit in October 1974.

In a recent magazine interview, 68-year-old Clapton, who is celebrating the 50th anniversary of his musical debut, said, “I’ll quit when I reach 70,” leading some pundits to conclude that next February’s shows will be Clapton’s last live performances in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care if Led Zeppelin's my favorite band and Jimmy Page is my favorite guitarist, I still think Eric Clapton is in fact God.

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is such an overlooked album, it got me through some of the hardest times.

His guitar playing is wonderfull, he got me into strats.

Clapton is God, I don't care what y'all say.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember posting somewhere on the site that Genesis Publications was producing a book on Eric's guitars. At the time, there was no indication when it would be available for purchase, but I just looked and it is now available (for anyone with plenty money to spare!!) They are £375 each.

Limited edition of 2,000 copies, each signed by Eric Clapton.

The story of Clapton's entire career told through his guitars, own words, archival photographs and a 50-year gigography.

Hand bound in leather with gold and silverarrow-10x10.png blocking, housed in a silk-screened buckram slipcase

'One by one these guitars were the chapters of my life.' Eric Clapton

Beginning with his blues roots and early days, Clapton's signed limited edition documents his entire career through the tools of his tradearrow-10x10.png: his guitars. SIX-STRING STORIES is told through Clapton's own words, with background information for each instrument and archival photography spanning five decades.

'They belong to a very well-loved family.' Eric Clapton

Nearly 300 pieces from Clapton's collection, sold across three Crossroads auctions, are brought together here for the very first time. SIX-STRING STORIES presents a 'family tree', making connections between Clapton's instruments and amps, and placing them in the chronology of his career.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he gets way to much attention for a skill that almost every guitar player had in the 70's, any great guitarist can do what clapton does lol. Play the blues, anyone can play the blues. Hell i think Mick Mars can play the blues just as well. Difference is clapton put the shutters in his musical career by just being a blues purist which makes him boring and unoriginal to me. If i want to hear old blues il listen to old blues standards or new version done by an artist that does not close their mind to genre or variety. I hate labeling music it puts a box around the creation process. Eric Clapton loves his little blues box.

I think he gets way to much attention for a skill that almost every guitar player had in the 70's, any great guitarist can do what clapton does lol. Play the blues, anyone can play the blues. Hell i think Mick Mars can play the blues just as well. Difference is clapton put the shutters in his musical career by just being a blues purist which makes him boring and unoriginal to me. If i want to hear old blues il listen to old blues standards or new version done by an artist that does not close their mind to genre or variety. I hate labeling music it puts a box around the creation process. Eric Clapton loves his little blues box.

EC's not "just another blues guitarist". You are completely overlooking his towering achievements as an original songwriter, among other things.

If anything Steve i said Clapton is a great Blues Purist. As an original songwriter he has some good tunes, though nothing that stands up to his pedal that you and others put him on. If he is a god, what is Iommi, Hendrix, Page,Steve Howe,George Harrison,David Gilmour, Brian May, Carlos Santana, Frank Zappa... Like i could keep going with more unique artists on the Guitar. I almost forgot Richie Blackmore

Edited by Psychedelic

If anything Steve i said Clapton is a great Blues Purist. As an original songwriter he has some good tunes, though nothing that stands up to his pedal that you and others put him on. If he is a god, what is Iommi, Hendrix, Page,Steve Howe,George Harrison,David Gilmour, Brian May, Carlos Santana, Frank Zappa... Like i could keep going with more unique artists on the Guitar. I almost forgot Richie Blackmore

Everyone you've listed is a pretender to EC's throne. Hendrix hasn't played a note in more than 40 years, Page hasn't been relevant since 1975, no one would know who George Harrison was if he hadn't been a Beatle first, Santana's has what, two hits? Spare me on the others. Year after year, decade after decade, hit after hit, on his own or with groups he has formed the guitar God is clearly, hands down no contest: Eric Clapton!

Edited by SteveAJones

Spare me the EC worship his throne nonsense, this is music not a popularity contest, Btw if you go by those merits, George harrison has him beat with more hits than any other guitar player ever to record in the industry. Besides you really wanna measure his songwriting skill and playing skill with hits? And you think George harrison would not be famous without the beatle mania lol, he was best friends with clapton for a reason. Spare you on the others? David Gilmour gets no mention as a guitar God, JIMI Page Jimi Hendrix...Those guys by far have greater influence and sold way more records....there goes your hits theory. Dark Side of the moon sold more than eric clapton entire career rofl

Also no love for Steve Howe or Yes, Deep Purple Ritchie Blackmore, they too are unworthy??? please these gentlemen are worthy your fanboyism shines through clearly. Oh also to say page wasn't relevant after 75 really does show how blind you are, tell me then what does clapton have recorded after derek and dominoes that match's Achilles Last Stand recorded 1976, apparently after page is relevant. So Eric is more relevant because of Slowhand and its success. Obviously a monumental guitar record, with innovative guitar playing from the god. :P I love slowhand but nowhere is it more evident at how comfy he had become then albums like that, a good album, not a great album or godly album. He even went on record saying he was done play virtuoso pieces and in a sense actually trying to improve playing skill. It was all about making hits for eric and his career after Cream.

Edited by Psychedelic

Oh also to say page wasn't relevant after 75 really does show how blind you are, tell me then what does clapton have recorded after derek and dominoes that match's Achilles Last Stand recorded 1976, apparently after page is relevant.

Well, first of all, Achilles Last Stand was recorded in Munich in October/November 1975 - not 1976.

Eric has written and recorded several iconic rock songs since then:

Hello Old Friend

Wonderful Tonight

Tearing Us Apart

Holy Mother

Bad Love

Tears In Heaven

Circus

Back Home

My Father's Eyes

...aside from that he's continued actively touring the whole freaking world about every two to three years. I can't wait for him to get here!

Eric Clapton Discography

Live albums 11

Compilation albums 17

Soundtracks 10

Solo studio albums 21

Studio albums with several bands 37

Solo singles 26

Singles with several bands 39

Collaborations 63

Edited by SteveAJones

Well, first of all, Achilles Last Stand was recorded in Munich in October/November 1975 - not 1976.

Eric has written and recorded several iconic rock songs since then:

Hello Old Friend

Wonderful Tonight

Tearing Us Apart

Holy Mother

Bad Love

Tears In Heaven

Circus

Back Home

My Father's Eyes

...aside from that he's continued actively touring the whole freaking world about every two to three years. I can't wait for him to get here!

I guess iconic is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll take the "irrelevant" any day..

In The Evening

Fool In The Rain

I'm Gonna Crawl

Who's To Blame

The Chase

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Emerald Eyes

Over Now

Whisper A Prayer For the Dying

Wonderful One

Please read The Letter

Domino

among many others.

Touring the world makes him relevant? No it means he likes to tour on his past success just as anyone his age is doing. Its very easy to make the money flow especially if your fans consider the artist above critisism. The rolling Stones are no different. They tour because they charge what they want where they want and they sell out everywhere by name only...not by being top musicians or touring acts. Paul McCartney tours the same set every night and no one complains...because its Paul Freaking McCartney. These guys can lay back watch the gravy train flow with no effort. Lazy shits that that charge an arm n a leg and do nothing to spark there shows. Roger waters the wall anyone. A set from 1980 that comes by at 200 a pop. I sure as hell didn't go when heade his round here. They play these songs exactly how they were recorded you might as well listen to the CD.