Jimmy to tour in 2011

Led Zep Girl

I would, but he said that he will do the homepage early this year, but there is still nothing. It makes me sad, cause i want to see him.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd refrained from rewording my post. I never said, "We're only 3 months (well, almost 4) into 2011 and people are already show a little bit of faith in the man" (which doesn't even make any sense). My original post, which didn't need to be reworded at all reads, "We're only 3 months (well, almost 4) into 2011 and people are already giving up hope? I know it can be hard to do considering the track record behind his latest record but at least show a little bit of faith in the man."

As they say in behavioral circles, the greatest indicator of future behavior behavior is past behavior. Jimmy hasn't put out a solo record in 24 years and any record at all in over 10 years. Every year we can say "maybe THIS is the year!" but every year we're wrong. Maybe one year we'll be wrong, but I'll put my money on no record this year.

I look at it this way, we know that he is working on the O2 Reunion DVD/Blu-Ray (see here:http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15214-official-dvdblu-ray-release-reportedly-being-finalized/) So its entirely possible that this is his priority and that as soon as thats done he will continue his musical career.

Perhaps, dare I say most likely, he plans to use the O2 DVD as a springboard to get his name out there and get good publicity for his next project. Even a Jimmy Page album needs marketing. wink.gif

Jimmy is 67 years old. Work's been done on his website with nothing seen. I seriously doubt anything will be released, though I would be very pleased if it was.

Two years ago I emailed Ross Halfin for the hell of it. Surprisingly I got a response. I am tending to believe him.

Here's the email.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's retired,

On 17 Oct 2009, at 04:09, David wrote:

Ross,

Really enjoy your web diary.

Being a huge Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin fan and knowing that you are a close friend, when is he going to release some new material? I know that his body of work doesn't require him to but I am hoping that he might.

Thanks for your honesty.

David

What I was trying to say is that well before he releases anything, we will begin to hear whispers, comments, gossip etc about a future project. So we recently heard something about releasing the 02 show, which I'm a fan of. Which I think would be released in the fall. This gives us about a 6 month window of gossip before we hear anything that's official.

Given that same time frame, if Jimmy was working on a solo project, we would begin to hear some comments from someone in the know. If we don't hear anything by about June, then I would say that nothing his happening this year.

So reality isn't accepted here?

Blind fans can't handle the truth. Jimmy isn't going to put out any "new" material this year and he's not going to tour. Sorry if that sounds negative, but it IS !

When the end of the year comes and you realize I'm right, give me props then, OK ?

Or will you be too humiliated ?

My bad, think I might have been a bit fucked up when I posted that. Actually, its pretty obvious Page won't be touring this year or maybe ever, who knows?

But, there is a difference between folly and blind faith. Tour's aside, I think a new recording from Page within the next year or two isn't that far fetched.

As long as Page is able to play guitar there's always the chance something cool 'might' happen.

If he was indeed retired then why would Jimmy himself say in 2010 (when interviewed by Liz Barnes) that he was desperate to be playing and that he wants to get a good vehicle together to get out there and do some concerts but not until next year and he hopes everything comes to fruition as he stated. Also why bother to launch a JP website at all if he wasn't interested in releasing something new or something to promote..I don't think it would just be for the 02 dvd because that could be promoted on other LZ sites not just Jimmy's. And why would he bother to sign with a new management company if he didn't have something in the works. It just doesn't reflect the actions of someone supposedly retired. I pretty much take what RH has to say with a grain of salt, anyway. btw.. this is my first post..

Since when did 67 become a retirement age, especially for someone in the music business? Just take a look at Dylan, McCartney, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, etc. who are all still going strong.

67 doesn't have to be a retirement age but let's be honest. I imagine all of those guys you mention will be slowing things down considerably in the next few years. Q107 here in Toronto said that if a Stones tour were to happen in the next year or so, Richards would be approaching 70 during it. I think a dose of realism needs to be taken by all of us that all of these legends we love will probably be calling it quits in the next few years. If he has chosen to retire, good for him. He deserves it.

In reference to JP retiring I believe it makes sense. It's kind of sad to imagine what it must be like for him to sit back and watch his old partner take the music world by storm and continue to innovate with AK and now BOJ and continue to sucessfully move forward in new musical directions. John Paul Jones has moved on and forward in his own way. It seems to me that he hasn't wanted to move on. The few things in between since 1980 haven't really added up to much in my humble opinion. No real musical innovation or departures in my opinion. So far the website has proven to be nothing more than a domain name. Curious how there's nothing about his book on there.

If he is planning to release something and tour it's doubtful that he would do such a thing while Plant is so visible and viable as an artist. The comparisons in the press would be tough to deal with. Even if he did just do it for himself ( which would be great) there would be no escaping those comparisons. Sort of takes the fun out of it. And then there's the record company to deal with as well. That's reality. He would have to put something together that would make money ( lots of it) for the label and any touring company as well as himself and any musicians/crew involved in the project. Sure he could finance things himself but why would anybody risk that kind of money on a potentially losing proposition? From a pure business perspective it doesn't make any sense. He doesn't need to subject himself to that kind of pressure. It would be different if Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham did something.

As a fan I would love to see him do something ( and I hope he does ) but time is passing. His contribution to music is assured. Legacy intact. Retirement is not a bad thing. Thankyou, Jimmy for all the great music.

Since when did 67 become a retirement age, especially for someone in the music business? Just take a look at Dylan, McCartney, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, etc. who are all still going strong.

Those are the operative words "still going strong", as in, they've never stopped. All of those guys have consistently recorded and toured, unlike Jimmy. Jimmy has not shown a penchant for constant playing, recording, and touring as those guys have.

67 doesn't have to be a retirement age but let's be honest. I imagine all of those guys you mention will be slowing things down considerably in the next few years. Q107 here in Toronto said that if a Stones tour were to happen in the next year or so, Richards would be approaching 70 during it. I think a dose of realism needs to be taken by all of us that all of these legends we love will probably be calling it quits in the next few years. If he has chosen to retire, good for him. He deserves it.

Richards is the youngest in the band! In other words, all the others are approaching it faster, and so what?

Those are the operative words "still going strong", as in, they've never stopped. All of those guys have consistently recorded and toured, unlike Jimmy. Jimmy has not shown a penchant for constant playing, recording, and touring as those guys have.

Think he's under a little more pressue . Maybe those of us who know better have a different expectaion than most but the Guitar God stigma is still attatched to him. It's gotta be tough and maybe a hill too far

Supposedly he was playing music with JPJ and Bonham JR after the O2, since Plant didn't want to join them that project was shelved. So don't say he has not played any music for over ten years.

Clearly he wants to use whatever ideas he has left for a new LZ record which of course Percy will not allow.

I think after the O2 he got used to idea of LZ functioning again and thought there was a possibility of

a new album (after almost three decades, I know). When that didn't happen he got a bit depressed and thought why should

I waste any few ideas on a solo record (which, let's be frank wouldn't get that much praise from the media) when

I could have used the ideas for a comeback LZ album which would catch the world by surprise.

Also, out of the three members, his small selection of solo albums weren't anything so great and he hadn't composed much original music since

1976:

ITTOD was mostly JPJ

DW2 Soundtrack was mostly Lucifer Rising outtakes.

The Firm, Outrider, Coverdale/Page were pretty much "generic" guitar music to be nice about it. Nothing really

amazing like Zooma or Thunderthief.

And WIC was mostly composed by the other band members with JP overlaying some guitar solos. I apologize if I'm wrong here.

JP is a very talented person but he is embarrassed about who he is: the original Lucifer Rising soundtrack left out of the film

is what he does best. He should stick to music like that rather than trying make radio friendly music.

In fact he should do a soundtrack for some scary film and it would be a huge success (including the novelties that made him who he is

like the bow, effects, etc).

I don't know about anyone else...but I get a little sick to my stomach when I think about Jimmy Page not touring or releasing any new music. I understand retirement. If anyone deserves it he does. I just feel like a totally brat because I don't WANT him to retire.

Unless he wants to live on a farm in Vermont?...(hint) and give middle aged woman guitar lessons?...(hint)....

Clearly he wants to use whatever ideas he has left for a new LZ record which of course Percy will not allow.

There was never going to be a new Led Zeppelin record with or without Robert Plant. Page tried out other singers for a new band (that was never going to be called "Led Zeppelin") that would have also included John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham but apparently none of them fit the bill. The whole "everything is Robert Plant's fault" thing has been played out here to the hilt.

Hi Bro,all,

Think he's under a little more pressue . Maybe those of us who know better have a different expectaion than most but the Guitar God stigma is still attatched to him. It's gotta be tough and maybe a hill too far.

Knot so,.. ;) Herr Page has nothing to -prove-

I do have an idea(s),...... :)

KB

Archived