Misty Mountain...Flop?

Beijoguy

I personnally think it's a great track. It's an«album» track but...LZ IV is my favorite album!! So I never skip this one, it's awesome!!!

Thanks!

It is a very good track, but I wouldn't put it in my top 20 Led Zeppelin studio tracks. They've done so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about IV that makes it a great album is apart from the songs themselves, it's the running order and everyone runs along seamlessly.

Jimmy got that one right.

BTW, LLM is on II, not IV.

Also, having 40 years of hindsight does not help or change the impact of MMH from when it first came out.

• 1 year later...

I'm one who truly believes that Zeppelin made NO bad songs (released songs). But I admit that the two songs on IV that are a bit lackluster for me are Misty Mountain Hop and The Battle Of Evermore.

I made my own custom Led Zeppelin IV by replacing them with Night Flight and Down By The Seaside and, to my ears, the album is now more... perfect. The running order is:

Black Dog

Rock and Roll

Down By The Seaside

Stairway To Heaven

Night Flight

Four Sticks

Going To California

When The Levee Breaks

To me, both songs enhance the record better than Misty and Evermore. Although I'm well aware that many would think just the opposite. There's no way to account for personal taste.

I like the record version, the drums make it for me, & it's full of punch. It's also, in my opinion, their worst song live. There's not a single live version I enjoy as it just came off weak in every way by comparison. I know Plant likes singing it live but I don't like hearing it.

The cover of MMH by 4 Non Blondes on the Encomium tribute CD is much more better than the original, IMO. Linda Perry has a 1969 Plant-ish voice (full of balls and will still reach high notes) plus there's a tasty outro solo by Dave Navarro.

As I recall Jimmy has said it's his least favorite Led Zeppelin track yet oddly enough it was played during their 1988 reunion. It's certainly not a favorite of mine.

Obviously it was played at the o2 as well. The guy calling the shots likes to sing it I imagine because it's relatively short, his vocals really are the main feature of the song, & lyrically it reflects his hippie sensabilities.

The cover of MMH by 4 Non Blondes on the Encomium tribute CD is much more better than the original, IMO. Linda Perry has a 1969 Plant-ish voice (full of balls and will still reach high notes) plus there's a tasty outro solo by Dave Navarro.

You should ban yourself from any Zep music/web/reading for one week, and then play this album track and live tracks ('71 Copenhagen, '72 Japan, '73 anywhere, '79 any of the 4 shows and even the reunion attempts), when you return from your deservedly self imposed exile!

I can't believe I actually had to read this post!

I about pissed myself laughing on this one. Music on the cover is pretty good, but the singing is horrendous. My God it's bad...

Archived