Reggie29

It's that time again.

Good luck to both teams.

Strauss gone third ball!

I like the look of Trott.

Two big hills to climb for the Poms.

1. Australia rarely lose at The Gabba

2. England haven't won a series in Oz since Beefy captained them in the '80's

Early days yet and anything is possible and hopefully matches won't be decided by dodgy umpiring.

I wonder if Pagey is watching after all he is a fan of Cricket!?

I think the Ashes mean more to the average Aussie than they do to the average English person. Cricket is a LONG way behind football in the hearts of the folks here.

Having said that its still a big sporting contest. I haven't got a clue who is going to win as I don't follow cricket greatly. It's been a long time since England won the Ashes 'over there' so I'm guessing that long run will continue. Mind you, a draw in the series will mean England will retain them so who knows.

I think the Ashes mean more to the average Aussie than they do to the average English person. Cricket is a LONG way behind football in the hearts of the folks here.

Having said that its still a big sporting contest. I haven't got a clue who is going to win as I don't follow cricket greatly. It's been a long time since England won the Ashes 'over there' so I'm guessing that long run will continue. Mind you, a draw in the series will mean England will retain them so who knows.

Cricket is a summer sport whereas football is played during winter.

The difference between the average English person and the average Aussie is we'll support our national team in any sport regardless of how successful (or not), they are.

I can't believe how the UK media treat their sportspeople when they lose and one thing about the Pommy teams is they never go down easily or without a fight.

They are worthy and skilful adversaries.

The only major international sport we haven't won is the FIFA World Cup, but I expect to see that happen in my lifetime and hopefully in 2018 / 22 here in Oz should Oceania win the rights.

It would however, be all the sweeter if we won it on foreign soil and against England!

Cricket is a summer sport whereas football is played during winter.

The difference between the average English person and the average Aussie is we'll support our national team in any sport regardless of how successful (or not), they are.

You think the English are just fair weather supporters? I wouldn't say that. The England football team for example has won bugger all for over 40 years yet they are still the best supported team at any of the World Cups. Just look at the amount of England fans who follow the team all over the world compared to others and even when the England cricket team was hopeless the Barmy Army still turned up.

I can't believe how the UK media treat their sportspeople when they lose

I think it's pretty normal. There are other countries that are even worse. You should see what the Italian press said about Italy's pathetic World Cup and didn't a Columbian footballer get shot and killed for an own goal?

and one thing about the Pommy teams is they never go down easily or without a fight.

They are worthy and skilful adversaries.

Nice of you to say that but I've seen some gutless displays over the years. I rememeber 5-0 whitewashings in cricket.

The only major international sport we haven't won is the FIFA World Cup, but I expect to see that happen in my lifetime and hopefully in 2018 / 22 here in Oz should Oceania win the rights.

Really? You think Australia will win the footie World Cup at some stage? I don't, sorry. :P

It would however, be all the sweeter if we won it on foreign soil and against England!

No chance. England won't reach another final again haha.

England went very well yesterday on a good batting wicket.

Strauss should be positive and go for the win and declare at lunch today and if they can put on another 100 runs whilst losing few wickets it will set up a fantastic finish.

That will give them two sessions to take it to the Aussies and a result is very possible.

Declarations are a good psychological tactic that puts the pressure on the opposition to perform and sometimes that pressure is enough to bring down the best of sides.

I suspect the wicket will have deteriorated after yesterdays play and favour the bowlers, especially the spinners, so if the Poms strategy is to play just for a draw they could struggle and lose the test.

The weather is going to play a big part in the outcome with some light rain predicted so any stoppages in play will be a deciding factor as well.

Good to see a tight match and some awesome shots by both sides.

C'mon Aussie!

After yesterday Adelaide is shaping up as almost an imitation of Brisbane, only in reverse.

Both captains won the toss, batted and went for ducks.

Vice Captains went cheaply.

Hat trick to Siddle and Swann was on one.

Both teams scored in the mid 200's and bowled out on or about the first day.

The weather is a major factor, Hot, Wet / Humid in QLD and Hot / Dry in SA?

If the trend continues then England will amass a reasonable total and Australia will have a good second dig and finish with a draw.

See what happens today and tomorrow?

I woke up this morning thinking the weather would have saved the Aussies and given them a draw. Didn't expect it to have ended so quickly. Wow.

Nice of you Aussies to take it on the chin but of course it ain't over yet.

By the way who do Kiwis cheer for in the Ashes? :unsure:

I woke up this morning thinking the weather would have saved the Aussies and given them a draw. Didn't expect it to have ended so quickly. Wow.

Nice of you Aussies to take it on the chin but of course it ain't over yet.

By the way who do Kiwis cheer for in the Ashes? :unsure:

Well, I don't know about other Kiwis but this one certainly supports England! :shifty:;)

All kidding aside, like I said before, I wouldn't write off Australia completely! We'll just have to wait and see what happens next! ;)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Well, I don't know about other Kiwis but this one certainly supports England! :shifty:;)

All kidding aside, like I said before, I wouldn't write off Australia completely! We'll just have to wait and see what happens next! ;)

I'm glad to hear that you're supporting England Kiwi. ;)

My partner was up until the early hours again last night watching it. One of his colleagues is an Aussie and everyone at work who's watching the cricket keeps taking the piss, leaving him messages on the door to his office in jest! :lol:

But as you say Kiwi, it could all turn around very qucikly.

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

I'm glad to hear that you're supporting England Kiwi. ;)

My partner was up until the early hours again last night watching it. One of his colleagues is an Aussie and everyone at work who's watching the cricket keeps taking the piss, leaving him messages on the door to his office in jest! :lol:

But as you say Kiwi, it could all turn around very qucikly.

LOL! The Aussies have been pretty sloppy so far! A defeat by an innings and 71 runs indicates that England kicked Australia's behind! :lol: I really feel sorry for your partner's Aussie colleague! :lol:

I do hope the series heats up! I don't think it will be a one sided game. I think Ponting's side will be hungry for revenge. But to be honest, I really want England to win the series! :shifty:

Ah interesting. I know you Kiwis and Aussies have a big rivalry in general and especially in sport (even if it is mostly friendly) but I would have kind of expected you to want to team up with your Aussie neighbours and hope they stick it up the Poms. It's a surprise, but a nice one. :)

By the way, I've been to both countries (including Auckland)and they are both great. Kept getting surly looks from the Aboriginals and Maories though. Dunno why. I didn't do anything. :P

Edited by Mangani

Ah interesting. I know you Kiwis and Aussies have a big rivalry in general and especially in sport (even if it is mostly friendly) but I would have kind of expected you to want to team up with your Aussie neighbours and hope they stick it up the Poms. It's a surprise, but a nice one. :)

By the way, I've been to both countries (including Auckland)and they are both great. Kept getting surly looks from the Aboriginals and Maories though. Dunno why. I didn't do anything. :P

Well, my dad supports Australia and he and I always end up arguing when the Ashes are on! :P But I have always liked England! :D In my opinion, cricket was getting a bit one sided what with the Aussies practically winning each and every freakin' game they ever played (especially the test matches) and to be honest, it is rather nice to see a team like England actually challenge them and put an end to that sort of domination! B)

Ooh! So, you've been to Auckland have you? Sweet! :D The Maoris are very friendly people once you get to know them a little better! They might seem a bit rough and tough but inside, they are just downright softies! I have a couple of friends who are Maoris at Uni :D

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^

Yeah I was in Auckland in 1996. I didn't see as much of NZ as I was hoping for (I spent far longer in Australia, almost a year) because I had to end my travels quickly and come home but I'd like to go back at some point and to Oz again too (yeah right as if I can afford to do that!!).

I don't really know too much about the Maoris as I didn't really meet any properly. I do remember in Oz that I was warned about the Aboriginals loads of times but the one time I encountered a big bunch of them in a park in Perth it was really cool and I was talking to them for a couple of hours. We had a lot of fun. We even swaped wristbands haha. One of the older gals kept going on about seeing The Bay City Rollers when she was a kid. I was like "well they were Scottish not English". :P

Totally agree about just one team dominating in sport. It does make a nice change when they get some competition. Just like the West Indies in the 1970s/1980s. They seemed to be the best for like EVER! Now look at them.

Edited by Mangani