The Ashes Are On Again

Reggie29

Wow! What a test match it has been so far! I really thought that England had the 3rd test match in the bag but the Aussies made one hell of a comeback and now we are witnessing an English batting collapse in the second innings! Wow! God knows what on earth is going to happen today! This has been a really unpredictable test so far with both teams fighting tooth and nail! Very interesting stuff indeed! The series has definitely heated up! :D

One all.

It's set up an interesting match in Melbourne.

As England only have to draw the series to retain the Ashes it remains to be seen if they keep on playing as positive as they have been or start losing confidence and shut up shop

One thing the series has highlighted is the bowling and the sporadic batting from both sides.

While it's good to post a high score, it can create the situation of scoring too many runs and by occupying the crease for extended periods it gives the opposition an opportunity to play for a draw, unless of course they are bowled out.

Just when you think one side is on top someone steps up and dominates with the bat or ball and the whole game turns.

Loving this!

Well, things seem to be going England's way at the moment since the Aussies were dismissed so cheaply for a mere 98 runs in the first innings.

England seems to be batting well so far! But, I wouldn't discount Australia's bowling capabilities! For all we know, Australia might be in the driver's seat tomorrow! We'll just have to wait and see! ;)

I am on England's side but I am really hoping for a good contest between both sides and not just one-sided rubbish! :P

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^

Tell me about it. I was in Melbourne once on a nice sunny day. Then the heavens opened up and it rained heavily for 2 hours solid and I only had on a t-shirt (well and trousers etc). I had to stand under the roof of Flinders Street train station until it stopped. They say if you don't like the weather in Melbourne to just wait a bit as it will soon change LOL. I can believe that.

As I understand it (and I don't understand the rules of cricket at all!), Australia can't regain the Ashes at this point even if there's a draw. Is that right Kiwi? :blink:

If England win this test then no Australia cannot win the Ashes. The holders retain the Ashes with a draw. So even if England win this test and Australia win the last test it will finish 2-2 and England keep hold of them.

As I understand it (and I don't understand the rules of cricket at all!), Australia can't regain the Ashes at this point even if there's a draw. Is that right Kiwi? :blink:

Well Magic, hypothetically, if the 4th test match ends in a draw tomorrow, the Aussies still have a chance because the next test at Sydney will pretty much be a "the winner takes it all" sort of situation! I do hope that doesn't happen! I really want things to go England's way! :unsure:

EDITED TO ADD : I am aware of the fact that the chances of the 4th test ending in a draw are very close to nil. However, I am absolutely terrified! I want England to win so bad that I don't want to make any bold predictions now and have them literally blow up on my face tomorrow! :unsure: Anything can happen! Only time will tell! :blink:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

It'll take a miracle for this test end in a draw.

We've only got to bat or it rains for the best part of two days! :rolleyes:

Congratulations to England clearly the better side in three of the tests so far and well deserved retainers of the Olde Urn.

Why wasn't Strauss made captain before this series?

Sydney is vital as there is pride at stake here and a loss or draw is not an option!

I hope they don't make wholesale changes to the squad and that the selectors have a long hard look at themselves.

Very proud of England, since Michael Vaughn was capain untill now and Strauss England have started to have a backbone..these wins have been probably the most comprehensive I have ever witnessed from our side..we now have to set our sites on India next year and hopefully become the the no 1 side in the world, but thats after we need to win in the last test to make it 3-1, as a drawn series would only paper over the cracks of the OZ team.

And a big thanks has to be to the Barmy Army..however many times England have been thrashed in the past, they were always there singing and supporting...they deseve this and hope they are having a great time over in OZ. I think other countries should take note and not just support your team when the going is good...its more important when your down, the barmy Army are just amazing...:)

Edited by leddy

Yeah well done England and hard luck Australia. Makes a bloody change to win the Ashes over there. It's been so long. :)

Although day 3 of this last test match is in the balance, would be great to win the series and not draw it...also its pink day for the charity of the late Mrs Mcgrath which is a good thing and brings awarness of breast cancer.

My late dad would be very proud later tonight, we have waited along time for this, I rememberwatcing it with him 24 years ago, been to a few ashes matches over here, but to win in such a way and break lots of records on the way, even he would be surprised...