The Ashes Are On Again

Reggie29

3-118.

It is doable, just a bit improbable.

There are four sessions left to play and if (and they are very big ifs), we don't lose any wickets today and score at about 120 a session we could get a draw or even win, which would frustrate England who have been the better team.

Realistically, if England want to win they had better bowl at their best and Australia need to bat the same.

I thought they may have left the declaration a little late and opened the door for a draw but who knows, we'll have to wait and see?

I know it's early to say but this could be a 5-0 whitewash. I think the only thing that may save you will be the Manchester Test, which as I know from experience, the weather will be awful and it will be a draw. Should the weather stay fine then it may well be curtains.

I don't know about 5-0, but it's all uphill from here.

I admire Clarke's optimism but to say we can still win the remaining games is extremely hopeful to say the least.

The biggest test of any side is to win away from home and we've almost certainly fallen short.

So unless by some miracle the series is drawn, we'll have to wait until later on in the year when you come to Oz for another crack.

The weather will be somewhat warmer than it is over there and that'll have a bearing on the outcome.

Still plenty of Cricket to go in this series and there will be positives to come out of it as both sides are reasonably young and this year will set up some interesting clashes and personal rivalries for the years ahead.

Bring on the next test match.

I know it's early to say but this could be a 5-0 whitewash. I think the only thing that may save you will be the Manchester Test, which as I know from experience, the weather will be awful and it will be a draw. Should the weather stay fine then it may well be curtains.

Edited by Reggie29

The weather will be somewhat warmer than it is over there and that'll have a bearing on the outcome.

Didn't stop us from giving you a hiding last time we came over Reggie? The only test you won was Perth and the sight of the SCG packed with Poms singing was a joy to behold.

The Ashes are long gone in this series. Clarke has to be positive and I respect him for that but you also got trounced 4-0 in India, and to be honest It has been very hard to replace the many quality players who have retired in the last 4 years. What was that comment many years ago about Mike Gattings touring party " can't bat, can't bowl, can't field" I do believe this should be levelled at the current Australian team!

Edited by chillumpuffer

Glen McGrath will be ceremoniously jettisoned from our shores tomorrow and I hope he's given the reception he deserves back home. His usual prediction of a 5-0 whitewash to the Aussies is now the stuff of ridicule. Admit Glenn boy your side is quite possibly the worst that has come over for years, in fact EVER. If England get their act together at Old Trafford, it could be the most humiliating Captains interview since Kim Hughes broke down in tears all those years ago. Should we also win at the Oval I reckon heads will roll and we will inflict more of the same this coming winter.

• 2 weeks later...

oh no ... watson gone already .... :(

quck question - what do the 3 lions mean ( on the front of the english team shirts )?

Sorry Slave no idea, maybe something historical?.

Your 2 down before Lunch though. Bastard sky TV. They've shut down my streaming site so no visuals for me.

Still a good start.

The second wicket was a bad call.

Even Botham said the decision was wrong.

We'll see howEngland goes chasing runs for a change.

Sorry Slave no idea, maybe something historical?.

Your 2 down before Lunch though. Bastard sky TV. They've shut down my streaming site so no visuals for me.

Still a good start.

The second wicket was a bad call.

Even Botham said the decision was wrong.

We'll see howEngland goes chasing runs for a change.

I very balance test at the moment I think. If you lose a couple more wickets it could be a tricky last session. Overall a draw is the most likely outcome. The forecast for the weekend is iffy to say the least. I am only a train ride from Old Trafford and from experience I've learnt never to go to test there as it always rains.

I am only a train ride from Old Trafford and from experience I've learnt never to go to test there as it always rains.

I have the same effect on the weather at the Oval. :yesnod:

Australia played some good cricket today, even if DRS is causing players and supporters to curse the bright spark who came up with the system.

Believe it or not guys, the DRS system is actually okay. No seriously, I mean it.

The problem is , the 3rd umpire is (so far anyway) a total shower of sh*t. If the 3rd umpire DID use it correctly, there would be no problem at all.

Anyway, to balance out Khawaja's dismissal, Smith could have been gone for nothing, and he's now on 70, so even stevens.

oh no ... watson gone already .... :(

quck question - what do the 3 lions mean ( on the front of the english team shirts )?

Slave, it comes from heraldry, a coat of arms of a lineage of a family, this emblem came from Richard the first, I think..

Sadly this fact carries no weight on a cricket pitch.... :mellow:

What is the history of the Aussie emblem?

Believe it or not guys, the DRS system is actually okay. No seriously, I mean it.

The problem is , the 3rd umpire is (so far anyway) a total shower of sh*t. If the 3rd umpire DID use it correctly, there would be no problem at all.

Anyway, to balance out Khawaja's dismissal, Smith could have been gone for nothing, and he's now on 70, so even stevens.

Fair point Zeppy, and I do believe umpires decision is final, after looking up the rules a few times to figure the out system, I do hope this test does not become known as The DRS Ashes.

Slave, it comes from heraldry, a coat of arms of a lineage of a family, this emblem came from Richard the first, I think..

Apparently the 2 animals are a Kangaroo and a Dodo ( I think) They both cannot go backwards so the emblem means "going forward". I heard that from a Sky commentary on the Ashes series in Oz a few years ago. Reggie may correct my choice of animal but for sure it's a Kanger

Australian Coat of Arms.

It consists of a shield depicting the badges of the six Australian states, enclosed by an ermine border. The shield is a symbol for the federation of the states, which took place in 1901.

The Australian coat of arms is commonly but incorrectly referred to as the ‘Commonwealth Crest’. Strictly speaking, the crest is the device above the shield and helmet on a coat of arms. The Australian crest is a seven-pointed gold star on a blue and gold wreath. Six of the points represent each of the states of the Commonwealth; the seventh point represents Australia’s territories.

The supporters are native Australian animals: the red kangaroo (Macropus rufus) and the emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae). It is thought the kangaroo and emu were chosen to symbolise a nation moving forward, reflecting a common belief that neither animal can move backwards easily.

Source: Dept. Foreign Affairs and Tourism.

Edited by Reggie29

Tough choice for Clarke. They HAVE to win this game so have to bowl England out twice - I very much doubt they will do that. The weather may play a part, but as we all know forecasting is a mugs game. It may stay dry all weekend. I live not too far from Manchester and it has been very humid for the last 2 days or so. I predict a draw or an England victory. I know that many will say :o but I just can't see the Aussies bowling us out twice on a good batting pitch. England could easily bat for 2 days and spin the Aussies out on a pitch that will turn on day 5. Could be a cracker of a test IF the rain stays away

i wish it wasn't on so late in the night here, i want to watch it all, but have had to go to bed after lunch each day ....

it's getting exciting! :)

Your lucky it's on at all S. You have to pay Murdoch a heap of Wonga to watch it here - unless you have a good streaming site ;)

Edited by chillumpuffer

So, Australia 527 declared.

England 294 for 7 overnight, needing 34 more to avoid the follow on, and that target will be absolutely critical to the outcome of this match.

Even if England does make 328 and beyond though, Australia will still have a huge first innings lead, and it looks like only rain can help England now.