The Toughness of PG vs the Lightness of HOTH

McSeven

Don't forget that some of the stuff on PG was left off from IV and HOTH.

Planty for sure though has a far more raspy "tougher" sounding voice on the PG tracks he recorded in '74 than earlier in his career.

I feel the same way. I never have liked the recording quality of HOTH - it has always sounded so weird to me - no depth to the music and Plant's voice sounding like its on helium. PG sounds so much better, to me, in its quality and feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Rolling Stone magazine called HOTH a 'damp squib'? I like both albums, although there's more content on PG that I prefer, but then it's a much longer album. HOTH is an amazing album for me because of The Rain Song and No Quarter.

The last two sentences sum up my feelings exactly.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Houses of the Holy has its moments...TSRTS is very progressive, one of Zepps all time classics, there are some down moments like D'yer maker but this was them playing, doing what they liked, and more importantly not just playing WLL part 2,3 4 etc,But PG is an all time classic not just in Zepps catalogue but also in music generally.

HOTH to me is 8 seperate tracks together on one album, where as PG just meshs together well even with the the left off stuff from HOTH, it just all sits well.

Houses of the Holy doesn't seem to get the respect Physical Graffiti and the other earlier albums do. I offer this support to explain why HOTH is the better of the two (for me).

1. You have a broad sweep of musical genius in very different songs like the Top 40 "Dancing Days", the ethereal "Rain Song", the haunting beauty of "No Quarter", and the in your face stomp of "The Ocean". And that's just half of the album tracks.

2. Sometimes a favorite record has an emotional hold on you. I know PH had more music, and great music at that. But in 1973 when my life turned to crap (for a spell), this album helped me stay grounded. Forever in my heart,---- HOTH.

3. Definitely the coolest album cover design and gatefold sleeve the band ever did.

4. Almost forgot, "Houses of the Holy" is their best album title too. So mysterious.

All of the above is open to your own interpretation of course, ----but can we get some boosters for HOTH?..................missy

Why does one album seem light and fluffy on the studio recording and the other sounds tough. Is it that HOTH has no real blues song. Or is it the production changes from the studio album to studio album.

I thought the point of the thread was the recording quality of both of the albums.

Song for song, HOH is a fantastic disc. Every song on it came across extremely well live, when played. I just still think the recording production of the discs are so different and PG was much better from that standpoint.

I thought the point of the thread was the recording quality of both of the albums.

Song for song, HOH is a fantastic disc. Every song on it came across extremely well live, when played. I just still think the recording production of the discs are so different and PG was much better from that standpoint.

I don't know if you are old enough to recall, but back in the Seventies not all of us had the latest Technics or Pioneer stereo system. I do remember learning the importance of a good set of speakers, Point is what these records were played on would affect the sound nearly as much as anything the band did in the studio.

"I just think the recording production of the discs are so different..........."

What do you mean by this? Didn't Page handle production for both? How else can I compare them but by the track compilation? Besides as I recall from one of my Zeppelin books, the "Houses" album was delayed for various reasons as often as the "Graffiti" double album due in no small part to Jimmy Page's quest for perfection in the studio....... missy

Houses of the Holy doesn't seem to get the respect Physical Graffiti and the other earlier albums do. I offer this support to explain why HOTH is the better of the two (for me).

1. You have a broad sweep of musical genius in very different songs like the Top 40 "Dancing Days", the ethereal "Rain Song", the haunting beauty of "No Quarter", and the in your face stomp of "The Ocean". And that's just half of the album tracks.

2. Sometimes a favorite record has an emotional hold on you. I know PH had more music, and great music at that. But in 1973 when my life turned to crap (for a spell), this album helped me stay grounded. Forever in my heart,---- HOTH.

3. Definitely the coolest album cover design and gatefold sleeve the band ever did.

4. Almost forgot, "Houses of the Holy" is their best album title too. So mysterious.

All of the above is open to your own interpretation of course, ----but can we get some boosters for HOTH?..................missy

HOTH was my fave in my early years, it chops and changes, it is a great record, they allare , I feel the one album that slips through the cracks is Presence, and I over the years here have championed it to hilt. Its swings and roundabouts.

Here is the recording studio information for these records taken from the liners in the LP jackets. Sorry for so much bold I can't turn it off without a total redo!...missy

Houses of the Holy: Produced by Jimmy Page

Engineered by Eddie Kramer, George Chkiantz and Keith Harwood

Recorded at Electric Lady Studios New York and Olympic London 1973.

Physical Graffiti: Produced by Jimmy Page

Engineers listed: Eddie Kramer @ Stargroves w Rolling Stones Mobile Studio with /Keith Harwood/Overdubs & Mixdown@ Olympic Studios.

Ron Nevison @ Headley Grange Ronnie Lane's Mobile Studio with/ Keith Harwood/ Overdubs & Mixdown Olympic Studios.

Andrew Johns @ Headley Grange w/ Rolling Stones Mobile Studio/Overdubs/ & Mixdown Andrew Johns @ Island Studios.

George Chkiantz @ Olympic Studios/ with Mixdown by Eddie Kramer @ Electric Ladyland. 1975

I was listening to a Rockline Radio interview with Robert Plant. One of the callers said that HOTH has 11 children on it and asked Robert if the number of children has anything to do with the song HMMTimes. Robert said it was coincidence. I thought that was great.

I don't know if you are old enough to recall, but back in the Seventies not all of us had the latest Technics or Pioneer stereo system. I do remember learning the importance of a good set of speakers, Point is what these records were played on would affect the sound nearly as much as anything the band did in the studio.

What do you mean by this? Didn't Page handle production for both? How else can I compare them but by the track compilation? Besides as I recall from one of my Zeppelin books, the "Houses" album was delayed for various reasons as often as the "Graffiti" double album due in no small part to Jimmy Page's quest for perfection in the studio....... missy

I understand and I am old enough to remember the limited stereo phonic capabilities back in the seventies. The question that was originally posed was, as I read it, not which album was better but about the production differences between the two discs.

Yes, I know that Jimmy produced both works - as he is listed as producer for all of the Zeppelin albums - but the two releases sound very different to one another. The reason for the release delays was due to the art work on the albums, not the quest for perfection in the studio. Not arguing with you here, just trying to clarify my comments and your questions. I still think HOH is the strangest sounding Zeppelin release and I believe it is even more obvious when the songs were played live - they sound way different on stage than on HOH, where the PG songs sound pretty similar to the disc. Anyway, I've said enough already. Nice chatting with you on this Missy.

Peace.

Yes, I know that Jimmy produced both works - as he is listed as producer for all of the Zeppelin albums - but the two releases sound very different to one another. The reason for the release delays was due to the art work on the albums, not the quest for perfection in the studio. Not arguing with you here, just trying to clarify my comments and your questions. I still think HOH is the strangest sounding Zeppelin release and I believe it is even more obvious when the songs were played live - they sound way different on stage than on HOH, where the PG songs sound pretty similar to the disc. Anyway, I've said enough already. Nice chatting with you on this Missy.

Peace.

Walter, what you said does sound very plausible about the in concert difference with respect to sound. HOTH was probably not anywhere near the sales that PH did either. I never got to see them in concert for a full show, so I defer to your expertise. Sorry for any overreaction on my part. I seem to have this blind spot when it comes to HOTH. :slapface:

But in the meantime, how about humoring me and listening to these two clips back to back as they are intended? Then tell me if you still thinks the music sounds a bit strange live. By the way, I think these two clips illustrate the "lightness and toughness" of HOTH. You see, ----there I go again big-fat-blind-spot. .........;) your friend missy

Okay this is VERY important, ---the two songs and video's are intended to be heard to back to back (and that's how the uploader set it up). I can't get the Rain Song up as the URL # to both is the same. Not too worry, there is another way!

When the above TSRTS video is over, PLEASE click on the second small box from left on the bottom row (it should say Rain Song). It's in a row below the "replay again" on the screen. Then watch the band at one of it's finest moments ala The Rain Song---take note of what happens @ 5:14 when Jimmy Page commands the crescendo...talk about toughness? Look/listen to John Bonham. This is where I really get why he's such a great drummer. And they do all this on what is essentially a love song/ballad. Amazing, isn't it? Yeah, I need an Earl's Court Dvd bad..........:) missy

Archived