"The Rover" LZ's most Under Rated Song?

ZoSo88

The Rover has always been one of my fav Zep songs & like other people here, I've always wondered why it doesn't seem to be a favorite of the band, as the whole song was never performed live & is never included on the "greatest hits" collections. Maybe Jimmy, Robert & Jonesy will shock us & do it on December 10th!

Used to be 'The Rover' was the one. When I was 18 I bought a rusty '66 Land Rover so I could call it The Rover and I mounted a stereo on the metal frame behind the front seats -- no dash on those things [no power either!] -- and blasted zep for everyone around whether they liked it or not.

Later I realized sometimes 'Down By The Seaside' can sound just as sweet, depends on a lot of things. Lying in a sleeping bag with yer lady under the stars as dawn comes in is one of those. At 77 mph on the freeway, I feel Jimmy's riffs in the Rover, but at 17 mph behind a tractor and combine, I am damn good with Down by the Seaside.

I agree...one of the many songs that makes Physical Graffiti the gratest double album in Rock and Roll history (IMO). "The Rover" has a great middle section and an opening that seems to want to hook the listener from the very start.....and it seems to be a success. I love it.....i wouldn't say that it is the MOST underrated, but for sure one of the many.

I agree...one of the many songs that makes Physical Graffiti the gratest double album in Rock and Roll history (IMO). "The Rover" has a great middle section and an opening that seems to want to hook the listener from the very start.....and it seems to be a success. I love it.....i wouldn't say that it is the MOST underrated, but for sure one of the many.

Guess what I'm listening to now!:)

My favourite song has changed over the years but for a long time it was The Rover but it's also been 10 Years Gone, Tea For One and For Your Life.

I think it's a natural progression that you'll start with something obvious live Stairway or WLL but then move on through the catalogue to something abit more obscure. Having said that I'm back to SIBLY now!

Given a double CD to compile we'd all choose some diferent songs. That's the problem with LZ, they're all ( well maybe not quite all, Hat's Off To Harper's a decent song but who'd nominate it as one of their best?) Great.

Used to be 'The Rover' was the one. When I was 18 I bought a rusty '66 Land Rover so I could call it The Rover and I mounted a stereo on the metal frame behind the front seats -- no dash on those things [no power either!] -- and blasted zep for everyone around whether they liked it or not.

Later I realized sometimes 'Down By The Seaside' can sound just as sweet, depends on a lot of things. Lying in a sleeping bag with yer lady under the stars as dawn comes in is one of those. At 77 mph on the freeway, I feel Jimmy's riffs in the Rover, but at 17 mph behind a tractor and combine, I am damn good with Down by the Seaside.

I love Down By THe Seaside. It calms me down and makes me think of the sea and the cool fresh breeze blowing.

And In The Light is also great. For some reason, it reminds me of Scotland.:lol: I think it might be the beginning of it or something.

What do you guys think. I love the song, its a great hard rock masterpiece and a great moment in Guitar history. Kinda personifies what was in the air during that Physical Graffiti era. And for some reason gets little reckognition, and i think is often overlooked. What do you guys think of the song and how come its not concidered along with their other "greatest hits" and never really played live.

Just to kindly correct you ... "The Rover" was a cut that didn't make it onto Houses of the Holy, recorded in 1972, but not released until Physical Graffiti. Plant couldn't hit those high notes in 1974.

But getting back on subject, yes, I totally agree, it's one of my all time favorites by Zep. The band didn't even seem to think much of it, as it wasn't even included on their very first box set (the four disc one).

• 3 months later...

Well, this song has conquered me ...forever!! I love every bit of it: Can I mention Jimmy's melodic solo, Robert's amazing vocals or lyrics first? It's underrated, as I see that most of my "real life" friends, who are Led Zep fans, seem to ignore this song, 'Carouselambra', 'Achilles Last Stand' or 'Ten Years Gone', that are some of my most loved ones!! :wtf:

Well, this song has conquered me ...forever!! I love every bit of it: Can I mention Jimmy's melodic solo, Robert's amazing vocals or lyrics first? It's underrated, as I see that most of my "real life" friends, who are Led Zep fans, seem to ignore this song, 'Carouselambra', 'Achilles Last Stand' or 'Ten Years Gone', that are some of my most loved ones!! :wtf:

omg! :o I just can't believe that!...

Archived