"The Rover" LZ's most Under Rated Song?

ZoSo88

I dunno about 'under-rated', but The Rover is my altime fave Zep tune. It Rocks, it swaggers, Bonham is so laid back on the beat, Jimmy lets rip with a wailing melodic solo, and the outro riffing leaves me on a great buzz.

It was used as a live intro to Sick Again on the 77 tour.

It was also performed at Sydney in '72 as part of the WLL medley - Robert falters, and Jimmy picks it up with a great instrumental version.

I also have some rehersal tapes 'Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' which features a few run-thru's of the Rover.

I also have an acoustic studio demo, and an electic demo.

Are there any more?

I dunno about 'under-rated', but The Rover is my altime fave Zep tune. It Rocks, it swaggers, Bonham is so laid back on the beat, Jimmy lets rip with a wailing melodic solo, and the outro riffing leaves me on a great buzz.

It was also performed at Sydney in '72 as part of the WLL medley - Robert falters, and Jimmy picks it up with a great instrumental version.

I also have some rehersal tapes 'Johnny Kidd and the Pirates' which features a few run-thru's of the Rover.

Are there any more?

There's the covers of "The Rover" by:

Heart

Van Halen

Dream Theater

Dread Zeppelin

and various Zeppelin Tribute Bands

As far as I know, Dolly hasn't covered it yet. But she could cover just about anything. :)

Are there any more?

Soundcheck Chicago 1973.07.06

What do you guys think. I love the song, its a great hard rock masterpiece and a great moment in Guitar history. Kinda personifies what was in the air during that Physical Graffiti era. And for some reason gets little reckognition, and i think is often overlooked. What do you guys think of the song and how come its not concidered along with their other "greatest hits" and never really played live.

Physical Graffiti is my favourite album, and The Rover is a GREAT song. Trampled Underfoot is another of my Top 5 favourites songs.

Way this song is underrated? Don't know. Trampled Underfoot si another underrated song, or maybe is just me.

Just to kindly correct you ... "The Rover" was a cut that didn't make it onto Houses of the Holy, recorded in 1972, but not released until Physical Graffiti. Plant couldn't hit those high notes in 1974.

But getting back on subject, yes, I totally agree, it's one of my all time favorites by Zep. The band didn't even seem to think much of it, as it wasn't even included on their very first box set (the four disc one).

True. But then, Living Loving Maid was not high on their list.... But your ratts ass fucking corporate Rock FM Radio station can't play Heartbreker without playing LLM. And then those same shitfucks at the radio station won't play a worthy song like The Rover.... Fucking MORONS they ALL ARE!!

Great, great song. Does anyone have the lyrics to it? I know most of them, but some are my own creation (probably more of my creation than I think). Bonham's intro and Page's power chord guitar work is Zeppelin at its best!! Wasn't this song orignially recorded during the sessions for Houses of the Holy and part of the opening guitar was lost by the engineer? Great selection!!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Holy Shit! I am replying to a post that was last made 1 day short of 2 years ago. I like to peruse and read and sometimes post my replies from "older" topics on this forum. This is obviously one of them.

In my opinion, I do think that "the Rover" is one of Led Zeppelin's most "under-rated" songs, however, I personally would have to say that, "In the Light" IS their most under-rated song.

I realize all this is a matter of opinion and preference, however, if you listen to both songs, "the Rover" is a great rock and roll song about "unity" and "In the Light" is a great rock song about "spirituality". Not that one is better than the other, but, I think that "In the Light" is the more Powerful of a song. Again, just my opinion.

As a matter of my opinion, both are about the Greatest songs that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin ever produced.

The Rover: "If we could just join hands..."

In the Light: "Everbody needs the Light..."

Surely a very great song and i believe one of the earliest comositions along with Down By The Seaside to be composed in the early 70's.

The fisrt time that i heard i was blown away by this and Custard Pie and that was more than 20 years ago!!

tuwtero, tuewro ro, rororororo tuwtero, tuewro ro, rororororo

Terrific song from a terrific album,I was always a bit surprised that the band never played both 'The Rover' or 'Custard Pie' live.Maybe both a bit tricky to play out of the studio?I don't know but I think both would have been great stage songs.

Underrated by the band themselves! Never played live (OK, except the intro during the '77 tour). And, sadly, left off the original box set (which included a few songs of lesser intrest to me at least).

Custard Pie was played only by Page and Plant in Japan in '96. I think only during one show.

Archived