"The Rover" LZ's most Under Rated Song?

ZoSo88

Truth is: "The Rover" WAS underrated by me for a very long time... By then I was still getting to know Zeppelin better, and this song would sound very weird to me! It didn't captured my attention. But somehow, one fine day, it changed... I listened to song and said to my self "omfg, how could I have never noticed that this song rules so much!?". It's amazing! In every way! And specially... for the lyrics! I'm not sure if I've caught their meaning right, but there's something special about them. I love the line "You got me rockin' when I ought to be a-rollin"...

I think that this song is just amazing - unusual, mysterious, but amazing. It's one of the best!

Oh, yes!! I forgot to mention them! :unsure: God, there are more underrated Led Zep songs than I had thought!! :o

Wanton Song, Candy Store Rock, Royal Orleans, For Your Life, Carouselambra, Celebration Day, Out on the Tiles, In the Light -- they're all songs less appreciated than the Rover, which -- if you had the record -- grabs you about 4 minutes and 20 seconds into Side One. (Same with the CD, too).

If I had to pick one song on Physical Graffiti that for years and years didn't get its due or was under-appreciated, it would have to be the Wanton Song. I was so happy Page revived that for the Black Crowes set, even played it on "The Tonight Show." Whomp!! What a powerhouse that song is.

Not only is it one of my favorite songs but I agree that it might be their most under-rated songs. Anyone ever try naming all of the Led Zep songs on www.sporcle.com ?

The Rover was the least guessed song out of the 80+. SO overall I would have to agree with it being very underrated.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Rover" is vastly underrated, but it is not the band's most underrated by any means. The most underrated song by Zep (outside their hardcore fanbase) is "Ten Years Gone," a song that never gets much airplay but is just a beautiful sounding song with great lyrics and great vocals.

Not to mention a brilliant guitar solo.

"The Rover" is a great song and it's a shame people seem to forget about it easily. A couple other songs from Zeppelin that should get a little more air play or love (in my opinion) would be:

"In The Light"

"Candy Store Rock"

"Tangerine"

"Four Sticks"

"Your Time Is Gonna Come"

Underrated by the band themselves! Never played live (OK, except the intro during the '77 tour). And, sadly, left off the original box set (which included a few songs of lesser intrest to me at least).

I beg to differ, they played it (albeit a short part of it), in Sydney in 1972 as part of the WLL medley.

Check out The Rovers Return boot if you get the chance.

On an earlier post someone mentioned Down By The Seaside. The Rover and this are only two of the many highlights for me off PG.

It was inspired by Neil Young's Down By The River and was Plant's tribute to C S N & Y and particularly Young's After The Goldrush and Harvest albums.

This was pointed out by Dave Lewis on the Classic Albums Under Review: Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti DVD.

Dave has more credibility than most of the so called afficionados on this or any other Zep site.

I beg to differ, they played it (albeit a short part of it), in Sydney in 1972 as part of the WLL medley.

Check out The Rovers Return boot if you get the chance.

On an earlier post someone mentioned Down By The Seaside. The Rover and this are only two of the many highlights for me off PG.

It was inspired by Neil Young's Down By The River and was Plant's tribute to C S N & Y and particularly Young's After The Goldrush and Harvest albums.

This was pointed out by Dave Lewis on the Classic Albums Under Review: Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti DVD.

Dave has more credibility than most of the so called afficionados on this or any other Zep site.

I would say ALL rather than MOST Reg, but then again i am biased to the guy, he has devoted a lifetime to reporting on Led Zeppelin, i have attended his get togethers in Central London in the 90s, with my oldest son who was still at school at the time, and recently we exchanged phone calls, a truely nice guy and the nearest you will ever get to Led Zeppelin Royalty, a True Gent of the Old School.

I give you Dave Lewis, :beer:

Regards, Danny

Archived