Three years ago today

(It's almost the 11th here now...)

At this time 3 years ago, I would have been on approach to Heathrow (4 hours late :slapface: ) desperately hoping, that getting to my "hotel" and the O2 in an unfamiliar city, collecting ticket and wristband would all work out as planned.

AND DID IT EVER :D:D:D

Of thousands over more than 3 decades, it was (and I suspect will ever remain) the most precious music moments of my life - I'll re-live those memories tomorrow's Central Coast morning. G'night B)

Can't believe it's 3 years already...feels like yesterday so fresh are the memories.

I was at work counting down the hours until i could bugger off to the O2. At 5pm i could no longer wait, had the first of many "natural enhancments" and shot down there as quickly as possible to meet up with the rest of our fanforum - www.friendsofzep.de - that were lucky enough to get tickets.

obvioulsy they were already in so i joined the heinous queue and when i got eventually in the arena i really made an effort to meet up with one of them who was stage center about 5 rows down from the front...i kept trying for a bit, even saw him, but no chance. so i went for a few beers, the toile (very important on a night like this), and then found myself a lovely spot dead center halfway between sound desk and stage.....and the rest is history.

awesome night, definitely the musical highlight of my life, was lucky enough to meet JPJ a few weeks before after a gig, saw the projections across London for the release of mothership, got invited to the TSRTS-DVD Launch Party...all in all a fantastic few weeks when London became the epicentre of Planet Zeppelin....and I was there all along the way.

Hard to believe its already been 3 years since that fantastic night. The 3 days I was in London for the concert went by so quickly but I remember the following on December 10th so well:

- seeing the biggest Mothership Zeppelin balloon flying in the sky outside the O2 - I wanted that display so badly.......still do.

- walking into the O2, so many people standing in line to get their souvenirs (I wish I had gotten the poster)

- standing in line to get into the arena, everyone was so fired up - some had waited overnight on this line

- once inside, we settled halfway between the stage and the soundboard, dead-center - this would turn out to be the ideal spot for the perfect concert sound

- debating just before they took the stage whether they would open with Rock and Roll or Good Times Bad Times

- after such a long wait, seeing my heroes open with GTBT and pinching myself to see if I am actually seeing this with my own eyes

- seeing so many people with their cell phones and cameras taking pictures/videos

- trying to make out all the new Plantations with such a roar amongst the audience

- trying to keep a written note of the order of songs played

- getting close to the end of the concert, thinking that I don't want this to end

- Kashmir - a spectacle and easily the finest performance of the night and may have been better than any bootleg from the 70s with Senior Bonham

- encores - everyone wildly yelling and shouting for more

- seeing Junior Bonham bowing to the 3 living legends as if saying - I'm not worthy

- after final encore, everyone still yelling and shouting for more until the house lights came on

- walking out of the arena, everyone still talking to each other and not believing what we had just witnessed

- getting back to the hotel and seeing the coverage on every newscast - was I really there? Barely got 2 hours of sleep for an early flight the next day

- leaving to go back to the US, the talk was still going on at the airport and people asking me if I was at the concert (I was wearing a Zep jacket)

- on the plane, met 2 other people who had been to the concert

- arriving back home and saying what a trip....best of my life....even better than going on the Concorde in 2003

Now 3 years later, all I have are the fantastic memories, my pictures, and the 3rd Eye video (thanks Terry).

Jimmy - please give us an official release. Its been 3 years and its about time we get something Led Zeppelin audio/video-related.

post-2932-0-27015400-1292031694_thumb.jp

jammin out the dvd now.

What a great time. or shoud I say absolutelly incredible experience.

First in Line, interviews all day, first one in the door, front row in front of jimmy

the entire show,In my time of dying,stairway,kashmir,audioorgasm.

I keep saying one of these days I'm going to write a book.

Hard to believe its already been 3 years since that fantastic night. The 3 days I was in London for the concert went by so quickly but I remember the following on December 10th so well:

- seeing the biggest Mothership Zeppelin balloon flying in the sky outside the O2 - I wanted that display so badly.......still do.

- walking into the O2, so many people standing in line to get their souvenirs (I wish I had gotten the poster)

- standing in line to get into the arena, everyone was so fired up - some had waited overnight on this line

- once inside, we settled halfway between the stage and the soundboard, dead-center - this would turn out to be the ideal spot for the perfect concert sound

- debating just before they took the stage whether they would open with Rock and Roll or Good Times Bad Times

- after such a long wait, seeing my heroes open with GTBT and pinching myself to see if I am actually seeing this with my own eyes

- seeing so many people with their cell phones and cameras taking pictures/videos

- trying to make out all the new Plantations with such a roar amongst the audience

- trying to keep a written note of the order of songs played

- getting close to the end of the concert, thinking that I don't want this to end

- Kashmir - a spectacle and easily the finest performance of the night and may have been better than any bootleg from the 70s with Senior Bonham

- encores - everyone wildly yelling and shouting for more

- seeing Junior Bonham bowing to the 3 living legends as if saying - I'm not worthy

- after final encore, everyone still yelling and shouting for more until the house lights came on

- walking out of the arena, everyone still talking to each other and not believing what we had just witnessed

- getting back to the hotel and seeing the coverage on every newscast - was I really there? Barely got 2 hours of sleep for an early flight the next day

- leaving to go back to the US, the talk was still going on at the airport and people asking me if I was at the concert (I was wearing a Zep jacket)

- on the plane, met 2 other people who had been to the concert

- arriving back home and saying what a trip....best of my life....even better than going on the Concorde in 2003

Now 3 years later, all I have are the fantastic memories, my pictures, and the 3rd Eye video (thanks Terry).

Jimmy - please give us an official release. Its been 3 years and its about time we get something Led Zeppelin audio/video-related.

rlions,

Very well captured. Excluding certain situational differences (ie. seat location) the experiences you mentioned of this magnificient event are forever burned upon my memory. They will definitely live with me until my final days. The actual reality of personally witnessing this momentous occasion, among other things, marks an absolute, and somewhat surreal, hallmark in my life. Every day I find myself reaching/searching for opportunities to extend this experience and keep the memories fresh in my mind.

Long live 12/10/2007

Cheers,

Matt

I'd love to be teleported back to Mar 21/70 or Aug 19/71 maybe even 7/18/73 or both 3/19 and 20/75....god forbid 7/17/77 ! Thing is, even if 12.7.07 was a show to remember, nothing will compare to seeing the band in their prime. It'll never happen again and it definitely didn't happen at the O2. Glad you all saw the show but tbh, I'm glad I wasn't there cause I know it would have tarnished my real and honest memories of the band when they were really happening. I have to admit that I was very quick to call for a reunion tour ( see post from early 2008 ) but I was clearly wrong about them having it together enough to pull it off. What everybody saw at O2 was not the Zeppelin I and many other vets have seen . I'm sure it was a good party though :D Sorry if I'm raining on anyones parade...just an honest opinion and not a jealous one either

I'd love to be teleported back to Mar 21/70 or Aug 19/71 maybe even 7/18/73 or both 3/19 and 20/75....god forbid 7/17/77 ! Thing is, even if 12.7.07 was a show to remember, nothing will compare to seeing the band in their prime. It'll never happen again and it definitely didn't happen at the O2. Glad you all saw the show but tbh, I'm glad I wasn't there cause I know it would have tarnished my real and honest memories of the band when they were really happening. I have to admit that I was very quick to call for a reunion tour ( see post from early 2008 ) but I was clearly wrong about them having it together enough to pull it off. What everybody saw at O2 was not the Zeppelin I and many other vets have seen . I'm sure it was a good party though :D Sorry if I'm raining on anyones parade...just an honest opinion and not a jealous one either

I wish I could also get in a time machine and see their old concerts, especially 9/29/71 in Japan....but for those that weren't old enough to see the original lineup, this was the closest we could get and we all loved every second of it.

I wish I could also get in a time machine and see their old concerts, especially 9/29/71 in Japan....but for those that weren't old enough to see the original lineup, this was the closest we could get and we all loved every second of it.

Due to some of the statements that have been dished out to some unsuspecting posters on other threads ie : no Bonzo no Zeppelin, I just find it ironic that many of those same people can find a way to call what they saw at the O2 Led Zeppelin. However, I'm glad you and everyone else enjoyed the show.

Due to some of the statements that have been dished out to some unsuspecting posters on other threads ie : no Bonzo no Zeppelin, I just find it ironic that many of those same people can find a way to call what they saw at the O2 Led Zeppelin. However, I'm glad you and everyone else enjoyed the show.

You are a fucking shmuck. If the Robert, Jimmy and JPJ considered the show to be Led Zeppelin, as per what was displayed on the big screen behind the band when Rock and Roll concluded the concert, then that's good enough for me. I wasn't aware that teleportation back to any of those earlier shows was available in the ballot - I would have readily chosen that option too.

Your post has no place in this thread, a celebration of the 3rd anniversary of the O2 concert. Why do you need to rain on anyones parade? If fact, as these are your feelings I have no idea why you even visit this topic. The merits or otherwise of this performance have been debated in numerous other threads on this board.

It's astounding that you can even compare a concert you didn't attend with ones you did. Having watched TSRTS numerous times doesn't make me feel that I know what being at MSG in '73 was like. Even if you've watched Third Eye, Katz Eye, Work in Progress or stuff on Youtube (but then with your opinion why would you have?) how can you compare. Even if there was a quality official release you still couldn't (and a few weeks ago I watched the Kings of Leon Live at the O2 video, from 2009, which shows how much better it could look than the boots).

You delete your posts, which sullies the intent of this thread, and I'll delete this response. Post it somewhere else if you feel the need or just fuck off. And I guess I'll get banned by the mods for dissing someone with more posts than me.

You are a fucking shmuck. If the Robert, Jimmy and JPJ considered the show to be Led Zeppelin, as per what was displayed on the big screen behind the band when Rock and Roll concluded the concert, then that's good enough for me. I wasn't aware that teleportation back to any of those earlier shows was available in the ballot - I would have readily chosen that option too.

Your post has no place in this thread, a celebration of the 3rd anniversary of the O2 concert. Why do you need to rain on anyones parade? If fact, as these are your feelings I have no idea why you even visit this topic. The merits or otherwise of this performance have been debated in numerous other threads on this board.

It's astounding that you can even compare a concert you didn't attend with ones you did. Having watched TSRTS numerous times doesn't make me feel that I know what being at MSG in '73 was like. Even if you've watched Third Eye, Katz Eye, Work in Progress or stuff on Youtube (but then with your opinion why would you have?) how can you compare. Even if there was a quality official release you still couldn't (and a few weeks ago I watched the Kings of Leon Live at the O2 video, from 2009, which shows how much better it could look than the boots).

You delete your posts, which sullies the intent of this thread, and I'll delete this response. Post it somewhere else if you feel the need or just fuck off. And I guess I'll get banned by the mods for dissing someone with more posts than me.

I doubt you'll be banned nor do I think you should be. Your entitled to diss me all you want and I have no problem with the fact that you seem to think you have. People on this forum do it all the time and nothing ever happens to them so feel free to carry on unabated. Me on the other hand, sorry for commenting on YOUR thread

If Robert, Jimmy and JPJ considered the show to be Led Zeppelin, as per what was displayed on the big screen behind the band when Rock and Roll concluded the concert, then that's good enough for me.

That backdrop may be good enough for you but apparently not for all others, particularly those who saw the band perform between '68-'80. Robert Plant is on record as having said it wasn't Led Zeppelin and none of them at any time ever stated Jason replaced his father as a full-fledged member, rather he was brought in solely for the tribute.

I find discussion of this point of contention interesting, continuing as it does three years on, just as I found proclamations of it having been Zep's best gig ever interesting on the night it happened. Views may vary - indeed they do - and time the wheel rolls on.

PM sent to Shadowblue

I'm outta of this thread and sorry for any misunderstandings . I've asked the mods to pull my posts

OK, first message to mods sent 7 hrs ago, follow up message sent 4 hrs ago.... still not removed. If leaving them on and treating me like a little kid is designed as some sort of punishment then one way or another do everyone a favour and make a decision on my fate . As they say, it's nothing personal...right. Don't make it so

Of course it was Led Zeppelin. They played as Led Zeppelin. It was not exactly the same as it was then which is stating the obvious, but if it was not

Led Zeppelin than who was it??

Consider This:

They played led zeppelin songs and only led zeppelin songs, no solo material or jasons stuff.

The props(laser lighting, smoke machines, thermamin, bow were all props used specifically at

led zeppelin conerts.

Then, considering the history of their industry many times when there is an event there is only one original

member of a band and they still goes by that name. considering this is

3+ out of 4 it points in that direction. Again nothing that strictly qualifies it but...

The shirt said led zeppelin, the book said led zeppelin. Poster. LZ.

The opening sequence was specifically about Led Zeppelin.

Several of Plants comments were about led zeppelin. where

the led zeppelin songs originated, that certain songs must be played

and that "we" did it

And the banner behind the stage.

and every media outlet billed it as the led zeppelin reunion before, during,

and after.

And the band's website lists it as a led zeppelin concert.

It wasn't the original four members but this was still led zeppelin.

Clearly I made a mistake posting my thoughts on this thread. I have pm'd Shadowblue and apologized for doing so. I would also like to sincerely apologize to all who posted on this thread and to all who had intended on posting. My bad and I accept full responsibility for my impromtu... out of body experience. Don't really know what else to call it.

Ally

Archived