WC Fields

Burt Lancaster

Kim Novak

Andrew Carnegie

Dwight Eisenhower

George Patton

B)

These things aren't American.

America has a long etablished history of cultural diversity which a lot of other countries could learn from.

American is one of, if not the most patriotic country in the world.

No they're not distinctive to Amercia, but they're things that most Americans are passionate about. That was the point I was making. ;)

Bradley and Hodges did just as much. Patton is overrated. I blame that Hollywood movie.:P

But George greased the treads of his tanks with the guts of those Hun bastards.

:lol:

From the film 'Battleground' (Battle Of The Bulge):

Lieutenant: What's your name, soldier?

Holley: PFC Holley, sir. And the PFC stands for 'Praying For Civilian'

B)

Hi all,

Pardon? :blink:

KB

I said Patton is overrated. He even spoke funny with a speech impediment. The real life Patton was not the George C Scott Patton of Hollywood. :P

I don't think it's fair on the other US generals in NW Europe who did as much, if not more, than him in WW2. It was Bradley and Hodges who got the Americans out of Normandy. It was Bradley and Hodges who bore the brunt of the German Ardennes attack and halted it. It was Bradley and Hodges who crossed the Rhine at Remagen and cut hundreds of thousands of Germans off in the Ruhr Pocket. Etc.

Few seem to remember Bradley and Hodges these days compared to Patton which (to me) is a shame and I'm not even American.

I don't even know what Patton ever did that was soooooo amazing. He wasn't a Rommel or Manstein or Manteuffel. Racing quickly along roads largely devoid of the enemy was Patton's greatest forte.

So in the spirit of this thread I'll say thank you to Bradley and Hodges and the other American commanders who get overlooked in favour of the overrated George Patton. :)

America has a long etablished history of cultural diversity which a lot of other countries could learn from.

No they're not distinctive to Amercia, but they're things that most Americans are passionate about. That was the point I was making. ;)

I agree. England could do with being as patriotic. The only time England gets very patriotic is when the World Cup comes around. Most of the other time we are too busy self criticising ourselves and pointing fingers in the mirror. It annoys me.

I said Patton is overrated. He even spoke funny with a speech impediment. The real life Patton was not the George C Scott Patton of Hollywood. :P

I don't think it's fair on the other US generals in NW Europe who did as much, if not more, than him in WW2. It was Bradley and Hodges who got the Americans out of Normandy. It was Bradley and Hodges who bore the brunt of the German Ardennes attack and halted it. It was Bradley and Hodges who crossed the Rhine at Remagen and cut hundreds of thousands of Germans off in the Ruhr Pocket. Etc.

Few seem to remember Bradley and Hodges these days compared to Patton which (to me) is a shame and I'm not even American.

I don't even know what Patton ever did that was soooooo amazing. He wasn't a Rommel or Manstein or Manteuffel. Racing quickly along roads largely devoid of the enemy was Patton's greatest forte.

So in the spirit of this thread I'll say thank you to Bradley and Hodges and the other American commanders who get overlooked in favour of the overrated George Patton. :)

I agree about Bradley. And let's not forget Alexander Vandegrift and his Marines who held Guadalcanal against overwhelming odds.

Vandegrift_Alexander_A.jpg

^

I don't know too much of him, only the name. I'll have to do some Googling. Good shout though. The Pacific isn't my specific area of knowledge.

Glad you agree about Bradley. Was never media friendly enough I guess.

you go girl........

Archived